ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 35
« First < 232930313233 3435 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Bryan Cook Thread*****
Dante84 07:18 PM 04-29-2022
More to come!

Cook was the third-most valuable safety in college football in 2021 #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/PpjLYjZwK5

— Eric Eager ���� (@PFF_Eric) April 30, 2022

[Reply]
Bump 02:11 AM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And here's the basis for any 'expertise' I have here...

Did that playing softball. Toe-picked it sliding, came over top of it. The foot came out forward as my body slid forward over top of it. So for that to happen, it had to have been facing backwards when it dislocated. So I'm betting a slow-mo replay of that would've been pretty damn gnarly.

'bout 4 months later and runnings still not a thing. I can do about anything else I want, but I had to have a tightrope (a couple holes drilled and a glorified come-along) placed in the joint to stabilize it while the ligaments heal. Ultimately ligaments will only heal so fast. There's just not a lot rehab can do to speed up healing on a ligament - the rehab just makes sure you get a complete recovery over a similar timeline.

So if there's a chance he's back for the post-season, he doesn't have that instability that I had. He didn't have to have the hardware installed. And I just can't see any way you pry a foot out of that joint WITHOUT doing enough damage to create that instability; the body isn't designed that way. If it comes all the way out, SOMETHING failed pretty catastrophically.

So I'm betting it wasn't a full dislocation.
what is it with softball and people breaking their feet and legs? I worked with several that broke their legs on some softball team they were on. I'm guessing it's unathletic people trying to slide when they don't know how to do it proper.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:51 AM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by Bump:
what is it with softball and people breaking their feet and legs? I worked with several that broke their legs on some softball team they were on. I'm guessing it's unathletic people trying to slide when they don't know how to do it proper.
It’s not just softball. I played rec league basketball in my funky little town of 3500 people for like 6 years. In that time I saw a dude dislocate an elbow, blow an Achilles, and a non-contact acl.

I decided I had shit to lose and Noped right out of that.

I got tennis elbow this fall and the PT guy told me he felt like he should sponsor the rec volleyball league as it runs a lot of business through his place.

It’s just old people doing athletic things.
[Reply]
sondevil 06:51 AM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
It’s not just softball. I played rec league basketball in my funky little town of 3500 people for like 6 years. In that time I saw a dude dislocate an elbow, blow an Achilles, and a non-contact acl.

I decided I had shit to lose and Noped right out of that.

I got tennis elbow this fall and the PT guy told me he felt like he should sponsor the rec volleyball league as it runs a lot of business through his place.

It’s just old people doing athletic things.
I’m 18 months in on golfers and tennis elbow combo. Crazy how long it can take to recover from. I hope yours goes much faster than mine has.
[Reply]
O.city 08:19 AM 12-06-2023
I almost broke my wrist playing basketball at the Y with a bunch of dudes that played in college and decided with my profession I should probably not do stupid shit.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:55 AM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by Bump:
I've played baseball/softball in various forms for 35 years. I've slid literally thousands of times in my life with nothing to show for it worse than a raspberry. Haven't even jammed an ankle doing it. I don't know how to do a lot of things in life, but I know how to slide.

I think part of the issue is what it gets back to in football - be the hammer or you'll be the nail. Playing games at half-speed gets people hurt.

I blew my ankle up because I was trying to brake. I wanted to give the appearance of sliding through the bag without actually sliding through the bag. I didn't want to blast the 2b; just make 'em think I was going to. So I dragged my bottom leg a bit and just toe-picked it.

In a full speed game, I'm going through the bag and I'd have been completely fine. It was trying to play a game at half-speed - balance competitive and not - that screwed me up. Slide or don't. Be competitive or don't be. Trying to go halfway is what got me where I got.

And then yeah, sometimes its just unathletic people trying to do stuff. But I'm still a pretty athletic guy (made a diving catch in CF the half inning before).

As Buehler said - sometimes its just old people doing sports stuff. But I've found that even as I've gotten into my early 40s, I've never gotten hurt playing hard. It's dick-around pickup games where I'll sprain an ankle. It's half-assing a blue run on the slopes instead of going balls out on a black. I sprained an MCL on a light turn around 2b once - never done anything like that breaking hard to my left for a groundball though.

As we get older we get a little less balls to the walls and THAT'S when we hurt ourselves.

Be the hammer or you'll be the nail.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:20 AM 12-06-2023
Those playgrounds in the 70s were pretty rough too. Big wide jungle bars with nothing but concrete waiting for you at the bottom. Slides with no platform to sit on at the top and 7000 degree surface temperature.

I've seen some things man - compound fractures, teeth protruding through lips. I came hope with a giant purple egg on my forehead.
[Reply]
LagunaSWana 11:54 AM 12-06-2023
Andy just said that Cook has a sprained ankle and it's still being evaluated.
[Reply]
srvy 04:40 PM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by LagunaSWana:
If Cook gets out of this with just an ankle sprain with no ligament damage wow!
Talk about a horseshoe up his wahoo. That looked career-threatening.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:51 PM 12-06-2023
I can't tell if it's a high ankle sprain or a low ankle sprain because the ankle is not in its normal spot.
[Reply]
threebag 08:48 PM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
I almost broke my wrist playing basketball at the Y with a bunch of dudes that played in college and decided with my profession I should probably not do stupid shit.
It’s not like you jacked off pigs or something :-)
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:56 PM 12-06-2023
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Those playgrounds in the 70s were pretty rough too. Big wide jungle bars with nothing but concrete waiting for you at the bottom. Slides with no platform to sit on at the top and 7000 degree surface temperature.

I've seen some things man - compound fractures, teeth protruding through lips. I came hope with a giant purple egg on my forehead.
:-)... they sure were. We had a big hill in elementary school with a sidewaik going down it and we rode our Tonka Trucks down that thing. Seems like there was a broken arm or bloody face every other week...
[Reply]
Kman34 06:49 AM 12-07-2023
I would guess there’s a ton of swelling and they are waiting to get a good MRI image when it goes down.. Pretty sure we’re not seeing him again this year..
[Reply]
Dunerdr 08:19 AM 12-07-2023
Originally Posted by Kman34:
I would guess there’s a ton of swelling and they are waiting to get a good MRI image when it goes down.. Pretty sure we’re not seeing him again this year..
Yeah im not getting my hopes up. Unless hes got some Mahomes Magic in him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:26 AM 12-07-2023
2 things

1) They knew with the initial x-rays that I was having surgery on mine. So it would seem that if it's pretty bad, they can tell that before the swelling subsides.

2) When they did the surgery, they went in there STILL not knowing exactly what they were going to have to do. I was prepped for cadaver tendons and after they put in the tightrope they got it stable enough to not have to do so.

So I think we can safely say that yes, he's avoided a possibility of serious reconstruction. I just feel like they'd have known that very quickly and scheduled the surgery by now (mine was 8 days later). I think we can also say that yes, there's still a little more to learn as the swelling goes down and they probably do a followup MRI.

But if there were significant structural damage, I think they'd have already been able to figure that out.

But hell fellas, even if it is 'just' a severe high ankle sprain, we may not get him back this year. Again, those can be nasty and that's a high impact position. You ask a LOT of that joint as a defensive back.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:16 AM 12-07-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
2 things

1) They knew with the initial x-rays that I was having surgery on mine. So it would seem that if it's pretty bad, they can tell that before the swelling subsides.

2) When they did the surgery, they went in there STILL not knowing exactly what they were going to have to do. I was prepped for cadaver tendons and after they put in the tightrope they got it stable enough to not have to do so.

So I think we can safely say that yes, he's avoided a possibility of serious reconstruction. I just feel like they'd have known that very quickly and scheduled the surgery by now (mine was 8 days later). I think we can also say that yes, there's still a little more to learn as the swelling goes down and they probably do a followup MRI.

But if there were significant structural damage, I think they'd have already been able to figure that out.

But hell fellas, even if it is 'just' a severe high ankle sprain, we may not get him back this year. Again, those can be nasty and that's a high impact position. You ask a LOT of that joint as a defensive back.
Yup. High ankle sprains are horrible and are prone to reinjury due to the stressed ligaments. Even when he's "fine," he won't be "fine" until next season. Not sure we want him playing a ton with his ankle completely immobilized.
[Reply]
Page 33 of 35
« First < 232930313233 3435 >
Up