ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 43 of 221
« First < 333940414243 444546475393143 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:21 PM 05-06-2012
Bummer, I have yet to go fishing this year. I got to get geared up for it, need a new fishing pole and lack of gas money is still making it tough to get to do things.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:37 PM 05-06-2012
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
Bummer, I have yet to go fishing this year. I got to get geared up for it, need a new fishing pole and lack of gas money is still making it tough to get to do things.
Whatever your situation, try to spend a few bucks on it... even a Snoopy zebco combo, beginner tackle kit & a dozen live worms, is enough to have some good luck... it will get you out & about, beats sitting around the house clicking a mouse on a slow day, ya know.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:42 PM 05-06-2012
Finally went out in my new fishing kayak this past Friday. It is so sweet! Nothing but me and the nature. No motors or electronics to worry about. Just paddling into all the best spots on the lake not accessible by land and limited to bigger vessels. It's also funny that if I had a regular four door car or SUV I would need a rack on top. But I have an Acura Integra two door hatchback. Since the car has a lip where the trunk comes down the kayak is angled into the car and there is no risk of it sliding out. I just close the trunk all the way, tie it down and let the kayak stick out a foot and a half or so.

Caught five largemouths on my maiden voyage which was at Kill Creek Lake. For my purposes I can never see myself needed a $10,000 boat after this experience. The best way to describe fishing from the kayak is serenity now, insanity not later.
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:38 PM 05-06-2012
Originally Posted by scott free:
Whatever your situation, try to spend a few bucks on it... even a Snoopy zebco combo, beginner tackle kit & a dozen live worms, is enough to have some good luck... it will get you out & about, beats sitting around the house clicking a mouse on a slow day, ya know.
Well, I feel like I got a fresh new start on life with a new home to hang my hat. Things are looking on the up side and that is a big relief for me. All I got to do is get adjusted to my new bob and night hours and get a few paychecks to pay the bills. I'm feeling pretty good about things right now and don't mind bosting a bit about it.

Yet the fish are biting and I'm not out there to catch them, I will soon enough is the plan.
[Reply]
Sofa King 07:22 AM 05-07-2012
Destroyed some really nice Walleye's on the river this weekend. Down by Platte and Chamberlain. Limited out with some really nice fish.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 07:28 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Cheating at fishing, just like the Raiders cheat at football and suck at it.
That’s not “cheating”. Crank phone, dynamite: THAT’s cheating.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 07:34 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
That’s not “cheating”. Crank phone, dynamite: THAT’s cheating.
It's funny ... people think just because you know where they are at means they are basically just gonna jump in the boat :-)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 07:35 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
Destroyed some really nice Walleye's on the river this weekend. Down by Platte and Chamberlain. Limited out with some really nice fish.
You had better luck than I did. Right after sunset something picked up my perch and started walking around with it. I set the hook and felt enough of a tug to tell it was something big just before the swivel snapped. Which is always pleasant.
I rigged back up but stayed until midnight and didn’t get another hit.
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:08 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
You had better luck than I did. Right after sunset something picked up my perch and started walking around with it. I set the hook and felt enough of a tug to tell it was something big just before the swivel snapped. Which is always pleasant.
I rigged back up but stayed until midnight and didn’t get another hit.
It started out a little slow but once we found them we limited out in a hurry. Lotta Walleyes over 20 inches, which in Platte was to be expected, but not up by Chamberlain. That was a pleasant surprise.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:10 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by R8ers:
It's funny ... people think just because you know where they are at means they are basically just gonna jump in the boat :-)
You mean they don't do that for you?

[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:12 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
It started out a little slow but once we found them we limited out in a hurry. Lotta Walleyes over 20 inches, which is Platte was to be expected, but not up by Chamberlain. That was a pleasant surprise.
Sounds fun, walleye are some damn good eating too.
[Reply]
Donger 09:47 AM 05-07-2012
I caught about a dozen rainbow trout this weekend! A local at the outdoor shop recommended that I use a clear bobber with about two feet of line attached to a tiny fly-thing that he made. It was great. I was skeptical that the miniscule hook on the fly would actually catch anything but it worked like a charm.
[Reply]
seclark 10:00 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Donger:
I caught about a dozen rainbow trout this weekend! A local at the outdoor shop recommended that I use a clear bobber with about two feet of line attached to a tiny fly-thing that he made. It was great. I was skeptical that the miniscule hook on the fly would actually catch anything but it worked like a charm.
did you clean them or throw them back?
sec
[Reply]
Donger 10:05 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by seclark:
did you clean them or throw them back?
sec
They didn't look very dirty, so I didn't clean them. They were really slippery, though. Are you supposed to hold trout by the body or the mouth when taking out the hook?

The lake is catch and release, so I put them back.
[Reply]
loochy 10:16 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Donger:
They didn't look very dirty, so I didn't clean them. They were really slippery, though. Are you supposed to hold trout by the body or the mouth when taking out the hook?

The lake is catch and release, so I put them back.
If you cradle them from underneath they typically go limp and you can easily remove the hook. Lipping trout typically doesn't work well due to their small size.

Handle fish as little as possible. Touching the fish removes the protective slime and makes them susceptible to infection.
[Reply]
Page 43 of 221
« First < 333940414243 444546475393143 > Last »
Up