6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:18 PM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I’ll ask again: why does DM have so much trouble producing OFs? Why?
Is there any position that this question couldn't be asked about?
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:25 PM 06-16-2021
The thing that is surprising me about Witt is that his BABIP is only .286.
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 08:20 AM 06-17-2021
I’ll ask again: why does DM have so much trouble producing OFs? Why?
Well, I think you'd have to add Merrifield in as well because he can and has played OF for us. On some other team he could play there.

But to your question it's probably because the royals are very conservative in the draft and because of that, they really don't draft outfielders with premium picks. And if you aren't spending premium picks on the position then eventually you will luck into some like Gordon(who needed a position change but obviously wasnt supposed to be there) or Merrifield, but you won't be producing many on average.

I think what also shines through is that the royals are a team that basically ignores power upside as a single tool trait that might carry the person to the big leagues and would much rather draft defensive guys who might hit. For example, I think the royals would never draft Nolan Gorman, who was taken right after Singer a couple of years ago. He had questions about his defense and might end up in the outfield at some point, but had the most raw power upside in the draft. They just haven't shown any desire to take guys like that. When you do that, it reduces the player pool down and you'll never hit an Aaron Judge who may never be a gold glover but has a big hit tool. They just keep acquiring speedy center fielders who play good defense that they hope can hit enough to make it.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:51 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets:
Witt 3 for 5 with a dinger tonight.

After a slow start he has been raking.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:57 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
After a slow start he has been raking.

Yeah. It appears he has made some
adjustments and also is experiencing better luck. He has an OPS over 1.000 in June, driven by a big .660 slugging percentage and paired with a .300/.375 average and OBP.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 09:05 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets:
Witt 3 for 5 with a dinger tonight.
11 Hr

19 RBI

Apparently his teammates can't get on base for him.
[Reply]
cookster50 09:17 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
11 Hr

19 RBI

Apparently his teammates can't get on base for him.
So you are saying he's a perfect fit in the majors.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 09:27 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by cookster50:
So you are saying he's a perfect fit in the majors.
If he was with the Royals it would be

11 HR

12 RBI
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:00 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ:
Well, I think you'd have to add Merrifield in as well because he can and has played OF for us. On some other team he could play there.

But to your question it's probably because the royals are very conservative in the draft and because of that, they really don't draft outfielders with premium picks. And if you aren't spending premium picks on the position then eventually you will luck into some like Gordon(who needed a position change but obviously wasnt supposed to be there) or Merrifield, but you won't be producing many on average.

I think what also shines through is that the royals are a team that basically ignores power upside as a single tool trait that might carry the person to the big leagues and would much rather draft defensive guys who might hit. For example, I think the royals would never draft Nolan Gorman, who was taken right after Singer a couple of years ago. He had questions about his defense and might end up in the outfield at some point, but had the most raw power upside in the draft. They just haven't shown any desire to take guys like that. When you do that, it reduces the player pool down and you'll never hit an Aaron Judge who may never be a gold glover but has a big hit tool. They just keep acquiring speedy center fielders who play good defense that they hope can hit enough to make it.
Gorman is going to be at 2nd, that is what they have him playing in Springfield.

Royals for outfielders look for speed and defense because of Kauffman Stadium. That's the bottom line. Power doesn't play that well at Kauffman, and you need athletes for defense.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:14 AM 06-17-2021
Appreciate what DM pulled off 14-15 just as much as anyone. But it’s time for him to go. He has 3 winning seasons in 15 (soon to be 16) years. Sherman stated he wants to have a consistent franchise like Cleveland which he obv saw up close. I don’t think DM can deliver that and the results are pretty clear that’s the case
[Reply]
SithCeNtZ 12:27 PM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Gorman is going to be at 2nd, that is what they have him playing in Springfield.

Royals for outfielders look for speed and defense because of Kauffman Stadium. That's the bottom line. Power doesn't play that well at Kauffman, and you need athletes for defense.
I know why we do it, I was just pointing out why we don't produce as many outfielders as elsewhere.

And the power thing is just silly at this point. Power doesn't play is mostly true because we make no effort to acquire said players. Yet opposing teams have huge lists of guys who have caused us problems for years hitting for massive power numbers. Oh, and the one guy we acquired who had that potential actually led the league in HRs one year. And we have probably the best power hitting catcher in the game. It's just an excuse at this point. The real thing is we don't want to pay for power now or in the future so we don't try.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:32 PM 06-17-2021
Rank among 30 teams

Infield hit rate: #1
Bunt hits: #1
Swinging rate: #3
Swinging rate pitches outside zone: #3
Swinging rate inside zone: #3
Babip: #15
Runs vs fastballs: #27
Walk rate: #28

We swing at everything, make weak contact, never walk, and can’t hit fastballs. WOOF!
That is despite having two guys that have to be one of the better players in lack of chase & good patience. Soler & Santana.

If Perez had Soler's patience he would be the best player in all of major league baseball.

If Mondesi had Santana's pitch recognition he would be a 10 WAR player (if healthy)
[Reply]
BWillie 02:36 PM 06-17-2021
DM is solely responsible for the wild hackers plaguing our lineups. He brought in guys like Duda, Mondi, Soler, Doze, Phillips, Starling, M Taylor, ROH, McBroom, KG, and even gave Owongs 145PA (whiffed 55x before mercifully being cut)
I don't know in what realm we would classify Soler as a hacker, though.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...-r-hitting-mlb
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:10 PM 06-17-2021
Pitchers drafted by the DM since 2008 with at least 1.0 fWAR for the Royals:

Jakob Junis
Brady Singer
Scott Alexander
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 07:30 PM 06-17-2021
For the Royals/Red Sox game tomorrow, MLB.com has the starting pitcher as TBD.

I'm thinking it should be listed as DIM.

Does it matter? :-)

*sigh*
[Reply]
Page 191 of 440
« First < 91141181187188189190191 192193194195201241291 > Last »
Up