ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 158 of 185
« First < 58108148154155156157158 159160161162168 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The George Karlaftis Thread*****
Dante84 09:16 PM 04-28-2022
More to come!

What are the #Chiefs getting in George Karlaftis?

Had an NFC Personnel executive tell me “He reminds me of J.J. Watt, when Watt was coming out. An explosive and versatile playmaker who has a high motor and can line up at 3,5, or 7. Very strong kid” #NFL #NFLDraft pic.twitter.com/5qM3g6OrMr

— Matt Lombardo (@MattLombardoNFL) April 29, 2022

George Karlaftis was drafted with pick 30 of round 1 in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 9.23 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 116 out of 1503 DE from 1987 to 2022. https://t.co/iXXBvnoFJc #RAS #Chiefs pic.twitter.com/eZ9XjNRDUB

— Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) April 29, 2022

“I was sitting there the whole night hoping we’d be able to get you.”

Karlaftis gets the call �� pic.twitter.com/DRGBDekvnl

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) April 29, 2022

[Reply]
RunKC 10:49 AM 01-12-2023
This was when I realized just how strong Karlaftis was. If you’re holding your own and winning against Quinten Nelson you’re pretty damn good

George Karlaftis on 3rd and 1 taking on Quinten Nelson pic.twitter.com/2K1MtUbNZD

— Daniel Harms�� (@InHarmsWay19) October 31, 2022

[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:59 AM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The only 'worry' I have, if you can even call it that, is that I think GK is mostly maxed physically. And I don't mean that to say he can't get stronger, but I mean it to say that he's not the sort of unicorn that can get stronger AND faster. Or even stronger while staying the same speed.

Let's say he has 100 attribute points - I don't think he can take that up to 120. I think he's capped at 100 and he can put 60 into speed and 40 into power. Or 50/50 or 40/60.

Any additional power will come at the expense of agility/bend. Any additional bend will come at the expense of power.

I think he can change HOW he's built but I don't think he's substantially improve his 'overall' physical ability. Did I make that clear as mud?

For me I think he can afford to spend an off-season focusing on his agility. It may mean a little less functional strength, but I think that's a trade worth making because I haven't seen a guy who's getting rocked out there. Moreover, technique/tenacity can do quite a bit to cover for a little bit of reduced strength.

But man, if he could get just a liiiiiitle quicker or more fluid, he could be a real force. At that point you'd be looking at a potential Maxx Crosby sort of player.
I think you're equating 'stronger' with 'heavier'.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. He's a big, strong, thick kid as it is, but that's with only one offseason with an NFL training staff. I don't think he needs to really get bigger, but I can absolutely see him getting more out of his muscle. I don't think that needs to mean he gets slower at all, quite the opposite.

You can train to develop quick twitch muscle, which is probably something he's never done, as he could just bully people in high school and college. Hell, he kind of can in the NFL, just not as consistently.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:07 AM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think you're equating 'stronger' with 'heavier'.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. He's a big, strong, thick kid as it is, but that's with only one offseason with an NFL training staff. I don't think he needs to really get bigger, but I can absolutely see him getting more out of his muscle. I don't think that needs to mean he gets slower at all, quite the opposite.

You can train to develop quick twitch muscle, which is probably something he's never done, as he could just bully people in high school and college. Hell, he kind of can in the NFL, just not as consistently.
We'll see. Obviously that would be pretty nice if he can add functional strength AND athleticism.

He's a baby, so it's not impossible.

I just know that the guy he played as in his final year at Purdue was built MUCH differently than the Freshman year version of him. He added a ton of strength over those 3 years but it did cost him some of that agility he showed as a Freshman.

And I know we like to cite "NFL Training Staffs" but fellas those guys running weight rooms at Big 10 schools ain't stupid. Hell, the guy in charge of the powerlifting team for my High School was a national champion in his mid-20s. I think at times we overestimate what some of these kids have access to in college.

The real issue, as you kinda alluded to, is the 'want to'. Many of them need a kick in the ass at the NFL level to dedicate themselves to the sort of high end training that they COULD'VE been doing in college but weren't doing because they were already physically imposing.

GK, OTOH, really re-shaped his body at Purdue. I think he absolutely was taking advantage of the facilities there and I'd be surprised if there's a new world of training tools available to him at this level.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:11 AM 01-12-2023
We'll see. Obviously that would be pretty nice if he can add functional strength AND athleticism.

He's a baby, so it's not impossible.

I just know that the guy he played as in his final year at Purdue was built MUCH differently than the Freshman year version of him. He added a ton of strength over those 3 years but it did cost him some of that agility he showed as a Freshman.

And I know we like to cite "NFL Training Staffs" but fellas those guys running weight rooms at Big 10 schools ain't stupid. Hell, the guy in charge of the powerlifting team for my High School was a national champion in his mid-20s. I think at times we overestimate what some of these kids have access to in college.

The real issue, as you kinda alluded to, is the 'want to'. Many of them need a kick in the ass at the NFL level to dedicate themselves to the sort of high end training that they COULD'VE been doing in college but weren't doing because they were already physically imposing.

GK, OTOH, really re-shaped his body at Purdue. I think he absolutely was taking advantage of the facilities there and I'd be surprised if there's a new world of training tools available to him at this level.
Different, though. I imagine in college they saw George as a guy who could bulk up and monster through people. So they worked on that.

Now he's in the NFL. He can monster through, even in the NFL, but could use a little more efficiency, and a little quickness. I don't think it's crazy to think a 21 year old can still add a little juice.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:15 AM 01-12-2023
Different, though. I imagine in college they saw George as a guy who could bulk up and monster through people. So they worked on that.

Now he's in the NFL. He can monster through, even in the NFL, but could use a little more efficiency, and a little quickness. I don't think it's crazy to think a 21 year old can still add a little juice.
That's exactly what I think they'll try to do. And I think they'll succeed.

Like I said, I just think they'll have too sacrifice a little of that 'bulk up' to do so. I don't think he'll play less strong because I think he can develop his technique in ways to address that.

I think he has the ability to be a better player - I'm not saying I think his ability to contribute is maxed out. Only that I see him at/near the peak of his ability to physically 'turn the knob to 11' so to speak.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:18 AM 01-12-2023
That's exactly what I think they'll try to do. And I think they'll succeed.

Like I said, I just think they'll have too sacrifice a little of that 'bulk up' to do so. I don't think he'll play less strong because I think he can develop his technique in ways to address that.

I think he has the ability to be a better player - I'm not saying I think his ability to contribute is maxed out. Only that I see him at/near the peak of his ability to physically 'turn the knob to 11' so to speak.
I'm with you in the idea that there won't be any massive transformation. I don't think that's necessary, anyway. Just a few tweaks could make him even more effective.

And the toughest part, really, is the desire and work ethic, and that kid's got that in spades.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:22 AM 01-12-2023
I'm with you in the idea that there won't be any massive transformation. I don't think that's necessary, anyway. Just a few tweaks could make him even more effective.

And the toughest part, really, is the desire and work ethic, and that kid's got that in spades.
Sometimes I really do question if maybe NFL scouts get a little jaded/cynical to their own detriment.

Because unless you've seen 100 full of shit faux 'try-hards' show up in your pre-draft interviews, I don't know how you see someone like Karlaftis and not think he's a slam dunk to be at least a solid NFL player.

You have to have convinced yourself that they're all full of shit to just ignore that guys eagerness.

That kid showed up ready to work from Day 1 and it was just so inescapable.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:25 AM 01-12-2023
Sometimes I really do question if maybe NFL scouts get a little jaded/cynical to their own detriment.

Because unless you've seen 100 full of shit faux 'try-hards' show up in your pre-draft interviews, I don't know how you see someone like Karlaftis and not think he's a slam dunk to be at least a solid NFL player.

You have to have convinced yourself that they're all full of shit to just ignore that guys eagerness.

Yep. Give me 11 guys with above average athletic ability and THAT motor and I'll crush souls.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:30 AM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
T Walker 8.6%
A Hutchinson 9.4%
J Johnson 9.3%
G Karlaftis 10.4%
Honestly surprised he's ahead of Hutchinson, nice
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:32 AM 01-12-2023
Yep. Give me 11 guys with above average athletic ability and THAT motor and I'll crush souls.
And the thing is, I think every coach in the world would agree with that sentiment.

Which is why I say it almost has to be cynicism that leads teams to sometimes ignore it. They just don't believe it when it's in front of them unless/until the guy shows up to camp with his hair on fire...
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:52 AM 01-12-2023

I think it's partly about 'measurables,' as well. How many people right here on CP were initially unimpressed by George because he only had 5 (I think that's what he had) sacks his last year in college? For some people, if they don't see an impressive stat history, they can't see anything else, or whatever.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:13 PM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I think it's partly about 'measurables,' as well. How many people right here on CP were initially unimpressed by George because he only had 5 (I think that's what he had) sacks his last year in college? For some people, if they don't see an impressive stat history, they can't see anything else, or whatever.
College stats, when trying to project a player in the pros, is about as trash as next day Taco Bell.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:17 PM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
College stats, when trying to project a player in the pros, is about as trash as next day Taco Bell.
Completely agree. And I'm not even saying that a ton of these guys are only looking at stats; just that they might be weighing them to 'x' degree more or enough to 'blind' them to the tape, so to speak. Obviously, when you get to the NFL, these guys are pretty sharp evaluators. It might just be that some are more biased about stats or metrics than others.

Take WRs, or RBs. Some teams seem to value speed above all other things, so they'll draft a guy that is an elite burner, but maybe he's not great in any other area. Or maybe he's one of those guys that relies almost completely on that speed; he's not going to work on his technique/mechanics, situational awareness or whatever. We've seen guys like that forever.

Or Ryan Leaf; prototypical QB, had all the measurables, etc., but a ten-cent head. In hindsight we can look back and criticize anyone taking him over Peyton in the draft, but on paper he seemed like a lock for a future All-pro, because 'look at this guy's stature, look at all those numbers!'

'Want to,' desire, football IQ . . . these are all tougher to evaluate from an interview, but are probably just as important to the player's future success in the NFL.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:21 PM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This was when I realized just how strong Karlaftis was. If you’re holding your own and winning against Quinten Nelson you’re pretty damn good

Damn.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 03:55 PM 01-12-2023
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Damn.
Yeah I hadn't seen that, that is fucking impressive
[Reply]
Page 158 of 185
« First < 58108148154155156157158 159160161162168 > Last »
Up