ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2865 of 3903
« First < 1865236527652815285528612862286328642865 286628672868286928752915296533653865 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mr. tegu 01:26 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Recently published CDC study on the mental health challenges attributed to Covid

Mental Health, Substance Use, and Suicidal Ideation During the COVID-19
Pandemic — United States, June 24–30, 2020

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...mm6932a1-H.pdf

Summary

What is already known about this topic?

Communities have faced mental health challenges related to
COVID-19–associated morbidity, mortality, and mitigation activities.

What is added by this report?

During June 24–30, 2020, U.S. adults reported considerably
elevated adverse mental health conditions associated with
COVID-19. Younger adults, racial/ethnic minorities, essential
workers, and unpaid adult caregivers reported having experienced disproportionately worse mental health outcomes,
increased substance use, and elevated suicidal ideation.

What are the implications for public health practice?

The public health response to the COVID-19 pandemic should
increase intervention and prevention efforts to address
associated mental health conditions. Community-level efforts,
including health communication strategies, should prioritize
young adults, racial/ethnic minorities, essential workers, and
unpaid adult caregivers.

I have seen a noticeable increase to my organization in referrals for therapy across basically all demographics, both from those with and without mental health history. Mostly presenting with stress, depression, and anxiety.
[Reply]
Fish 01:26 PM 08-17-2020
So, one of the "Studies" that this Dr. Risch includes? Ol' Dr. Zelenko.

Originally Posted by :
Risch points readers to his review -- he is the only author -- published in late May in the American Journal of Epidemiology that cites five studies in support of HCQ, particularly when used early in the course of COVID-19.

None are randomized controlled trials. One is the heavily publicized and now discredited French study by Didier Raoult, MD, and colleagues in March that sparked initial hopes for HCQ. Two have no corresponding data or publications.

Risch asserts his own re-analysis of the French study suggests a stronger benefit for HCQ plus azithromycin when started earlier in the illness compared with standard of care. But researchers have called the original data involving only 42 patients "uninterpretable."

A second study from Raoult's group published in May involved 973 patients all of whom got HCQ; there was no randomization or control.

For his third study, Risch links to a two-page Google document by Vladimir Zelenko, MD, a doctor who cares for a large Orthodox Jewish population in Monsey, New York. Zelenko has made headlines for managing to catch the ear of FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, MD, to request help with access to HCQ for an outpatient trial.

Risch cites data from Zelenko on 405 outpatients who were treated with HCQ, azithromycin, and zinc, of whom six were hospitalized and two died. There was no control group, and the Google document doesn't provide more detail on the data.

The fourth citation is a controlled, but not randomized, study from Brazil with a total of 636 patients; 412 were treated with HCQ and azithromycin, with 224 who declined treatment serving as controls. Fewer of those on the drugs had to be hospitalized, but with no randomization, the treatment's role is uncertain.

Finally, Risch cites a small ongoing study in a long-term care facility on Long Island in New York that gave HCQ plus doxycycline to about 200 high-risk COVID patients, again with no control group. Only nine died, suggesting a treatment benefit, but Risch gave no source for the data nor other details.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87844

[Reply]
stumppy 01:29 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
MN Governor Quietly Reverses Course on Hydroxychloroquine

I carved out any political references however I am sure Stummpy will say these are more Witchdoctors and their credentials came out of a cereal box ....

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...e__143978.html

I can't wait til you start pimping oleander.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:31 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Statement from Yale Faculty on Hydroxychloroquine and its Use in COVID-19

We write with grave concern that too many are being distracted by the ardent advocacy of our Yale colleague, Dr. Harvey Risch, to promote the assertion that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) when given with antibiotics is effective in treating COVID-19, in particular as an early therapeutic intervention for the disease. As his colleagues, we defend the right of Dr. Risch, a respected cancer epidemiologist, to voice his opinions. But he is not an expert in infectious disease epidemiology and he has not been swayed by the body of scientific evidence from rigorously conducted clinical trials, which refute the plausibility of his belief and arguments. Over the last few weeks, all of us have spent considerable time explaining the evidence behind HCQ research, as it applies to early and late stage COVID-19 patients to the scientific community and general public, and now are compelled to detail the evidence in this open letter.

Spoiler!
You choose to listen to the unsupported opinion of one outlier, who's been publicly called out by his colleagues. No mystery as to why.
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
petegz28 01:32 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I can't wait til you start pimping oleander.
Him no say whut me wunt him say......:-)
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:33 PM 08-17-2020
You choose to listen to the unsupported opinion of one outlier, who's been publicly called out by his colleagues. No mystery as to why.
No mystery as to why? Please enlighten me. Is it because there is just too much conflicting data to believe this is settled science? Because that would be the "why" you are looking for.

You act like there is only one person or a handful of people challenging the science. You chose to ignore copious amounts of data saying HQC can be effective in some cases, I wonder why. Oh wait no I know why you chose to believe what you do. You like many others are frankly just dug in on your stance.
[Reply]
stumppy 01:35 PM 08-17-2020
:-)
[Reply]
Donger 01:35 PM 08-17-2020
So, one of the "Studies" that this Dr. Risch includes? Ol' Dr. Zelenko.
And Brent Spiner from Independence Day:

[Reply]
Donger 01:36 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
No mystery as to why? Please enlighten me. Is it because there is just too much conflicting data to believe this is settled science? Because that would be the "why" you are looking for.

You act like there is only one person or a handful of people challenging the science. You chose to ignore copious amounts of data saying HQC can be effective in some cases, I wonder why. Oh wait no I know why you chose to believe what you do. You like many others are frankly just dug in on your stance.
How about a single RCT which shows that it's effective? Instead, we have this:

At this point in time, there's been five randomized control, placebo-controlled trials that do not show any benefit to hydroxychloroquine.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:37 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It works great in a test tube. Alot of the best "results" have come from early treatment of mild symptomatic patients. The problem with it is you don't know if they got better from the treatment or just the natural course of the thing.

Tough stuff.
Okay so let's take sentence one: a lot of the best treatment came from early teatment...

Now let's go to sentence two: you don't know if they got better from the treatment of not.....

Now let me aKs you....do you want to forgo the treatment to find out the answer to sentence 2?
[Reply]
Fish 01:39 PM 08-17-2020
:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
The only thing that will change the consensus on HCQ is RCT studies showing it's effectiveness. So far, every RCT study has shown it to be ineffective. It's as simple as that.

Originally Posted by :
In fact, rigorously-conducted clinical trials have found that HCQ is not effective as an early prophylactic therapy in preventing illness due to COVID-19 in people exposed to the virus. Furthermore, HCQ, alone or together with the antibiotic, azithromycin, has not been shown to be effective in improving the clinical status of patients with COVID-19. Moreover, clinical trials have found that treatment with HCQ may be associated with increased risk of adverse reactions. Taken together, the scientific evidence does not support the widespread use of this drug, alone or in combination with an antibiotic, as advocated by Dr. Risch and others, unless rigorous evidence from clinical trials demonstrates otherwise.

[Reply]
Marcellus 01:41 PM 08-17-2020
Okay so let's take sentence one: a lot of the best treatment came from early teatment...

Now let's go to sentence two: you don't know if they got better from the treatment of not.....

Now let me aKs you....do you want to forgo the treatment to find out the answer to sentence 2?
I don't understand why so many people are so hell bent on dismissing a drug that at worst helps a decent amount of people if used early. The drug is as safe as most any other prescription drug in existence and its cheap as hell.

Our HR manager has RI and has been on the drug for years with no issues.

Best toss it to the side because people about to die didn't recover most of the time.
[Reply]
Fish 01:41 PM 08-17-2020

There's not any conflicting data. Every randomized controlled trial has shown it to be ineffective. Until you can present one that shows the opposite, it's dead in the water.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:41 PM 08-17-2020
The only thing that will change the consensus on HCQ is RCT studies showing it's effectiveness. So far, every RCT study has shown it to be ineffective. It's as simple as that.
Its its "just that simple" why are Doctors still using it to treat covid?
[Reply]
petegz28 01:44 PM 08-17-2020
I don't understand why so many people are so hell bent on dismissing a drug that at worst helps a decent amount of people if used early. The drug is as safe as most any other prescription drug in existence and its cheap as hell.

Our HR manager has RI and has been on the drug for years with no issues.

Best toss it to the side because people about to die didn't recover most of the time.
The irony is I bet most if not all the CP experts claiming it doesn't work would be asking for the drug if they got sick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 2865 of 3903
« First < 1865236527652815285528612862286328642865 286628672868286928752915296533653865 > Last »
Up