ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2864 of 3903
« First < 1864236427642814285428602861286228632864 286528662867286828742914296433643864 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Pants 10:51 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
That story is just exaggerated BS to make it sound more dramatic. Wait time is not 7-14 days on average that's a complete outlier.

Kansas is slow as hell because as I have been told, they have a single lab in Wichita doing all the state testing rather than farming it out to private companies.

Missouri is extremely quick on the other hand.
I don't think this is accurate.

I have had 5 people very close to me get tested and the results were back in under 36 hours. All in KS.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:15 AM 08-17-2020
That story is just exaggerated BS to make it sound more dramatic. Wait time is not 7-14 days on average that's a complete outlier.

Kansas is slow as hell because as I have been told, they have a single lab in Wichita doing all the state testing rather than farming it out to private companies.

Anecdotal, but I know the hospital/clinic in my town has 7-10 day TAT and I have a buddy who is a pharmacist up around KC at a CVS and he said the TAT are around 10 days. This was about a month ago though, so idk if that's still accurate.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:23 AM 08-17-2020

The company I work for here in MO does covid testing and we are getting around 7 days wait times for results from Quest Labs. A few weeks ago it was almost 2 weeks for some.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:51 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I don't think this is accurate.

I have had 5 people very close to me get tested and the results were back in under 36 hours. All in KS.
I should have clarified, it depends on who does the test, if you go to a state/county health department run test site its slow as hell.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:56 AM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
The company I work for here in MO does covid testing and we are getting around 7 days wait times for results from Quest Labs. A few weeks ago it was almost 2 weeks for some.
Interesting, we (our company in Missouri) aren't using Quest we try to run everyone through the local Occumed and get 24-48 hour turn around.

Freeman health systems and Mercy locally both have quick turn around.

You get county involved in its all over the board. But we have definitely seen an issue with employees who get tested in Kansas at local heath facilities.

One of our frustrations has been the very willy nilly choosing of test sights when people use virtual visits or their personal physician.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:35 PM 08-17-2020
MN Governor Quietly Reverses Course on Hydroxychloroquine

I carved out any political references however I am sure Stummpy will say these are more Witchdoctors and their credentials came out of a cereal box ....

Originally Posted by :
In recent weeks a chorus of voices in the medical community has emerged to challenge the view that hydroxychloroquine is ineffective as a COVID treatment. Dr. Harvey A. Risch, a professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health, said a full analysis of the literature suggests hydroxychloroquine may be the key to defeating the coronavirus.

“Physicians who have been using these medications in the face of widespread skepticism have been truly heroic,” Risch wrote in Newsweek, adding that a full review of the COVID literature on the drug shows “clear-cut and significant benefits.”

Prescribing hydroxychloroquine in the early stages of the virus is key, Risch said, and others agree. Steven Hatfill, a veteran virologist and adjunct assistant professor at the George Washington University Medical Center, says the literature supporting hydroxychloroquine is overwhelming.

“There are now 53 studies that show positive results of hydroxychloroquine in COVID infections,” Hatfill wrote in RealClearPolitics. “There are 14 global studies that show neutral or negative results -- and 10 of them were of patients in very late stages of COVID-19, where no antiviral drug can be expected to have much effect.”

One of the positive studies, published by Henry Ford Health System, was a large-scale retrospective of six hospitals. Analyzing 2,541 patients, it found that those treated with hydroxychloroquine alone died at about half the rate of patients not treated with it.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...e__143978.html
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:54 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

I carved out any political references however I am sure Stummpy will say these are more Witchdoctors and their credentials came out of a cereal box ....

:-) Its almost like this isn't settled science like some people have said all along.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 12:55 PM 08-17-2020
I have an acquaintance that died from c-19 recently in KS. 36 male and physically fit. Keep those masks up pals.

edit: KN-95 masks are readily available on Amazon. I wore one on a work trip to a Nevada hospital, which had a covid-19 ward, and thankfully didn't get sick. This is anecdotal of course, but it's a pretty high likelihood I was exposed at some point.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:01 PM 08-17-2020
:-) Its almost like this isn't settled science like some people have said all along.
Yeah well, people, things and reasons......and some stuff
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:05 PM 08-17-2020
Recently published CDC study on the mental health challenges attributed to Covid

Mental Health, Substance Use, and Suicidal Ideation During the COVID-19
Pandemic — United States, June 24–30, 2020

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...mm6932a1-H.pdf

Summary

What is already known about this topic?

Communities have faced mental health challenges related to
COVID-19–associated morbidity, mortality, and mitigation activities.

What is added by this report?

During June 24–30, 2020, U.S. adults reported considerably
elevated adverse mental health conditions associated with
COVID-19. Younger adults, racial/ethnic minorities, essential
workers, and unpaid adult caregivers reported having experienced disproportionately worse mental health outcomes,
increased substance use, and elevated suicidal ideation.

What are the implications for public health practice?

The public health response to the COVID-19 pandemic should
increase intervention and prevention efforts to address
associated mental health conditions. Community-level efforts,
including health communication strategies, should prioritize
young adults, racial/ethnic minorities, essential workers, and
unpaid adult caregivers.
[Reply]
Fish 01:12 PM 08-17-2020
Statement from Yale Faculty on Hydroxychloroquine and its Use in COVID-19

We write with grave concern that too many are being distracted by the ardent advocacy of our Yale colleague, Dr. Harvey Risch, to promote the assertion that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) when given with antibiotics is effective in treating COVID-19, in particular as an early therapeutic intervention for the disease. As his colleagues, we defend the right of Dr. Risch, a respected cancer epidemiologist, to voice his opinions. But he is not an expert in infectious disease epidemiology and he has not been swayed by the body of scientific evidence from rigorously conducted clinical trials, which refute the plausibility of his belief and arguments. Over the last few weeks, all of us have spent considerable time explaining the evidence behind HCQ research, as it applies to early and late stage COVID-19 patients to the scientific community and general public, and now are compelled to detail the evidence in this open letter.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fish 01:16 PM 08-17-2020
You choose to listen to the unsupported opinion of one outlier, who's been publicly called out by his colleagues. No mystery as to why.
[Reply]
Donger 01:19 PM 08-17-2020
"From a public health standpoint, at first, hydroxychloroquine looked very promising. There were not the definitive studies. At this point in time, there's been five randomized control, placebo-controlled trials that do not show any benefit to hydroxychloroquine. So at this point in time, we don't recommend that as a treatment," Assistant Secretary for Health at the Department of Health and Human Services Admiral Brett Giroir.

"The evidence just doesn't show that hydroxychloroquine is effective right now. I think we need to move on from that and talk about what is effective," the doctor explained, pointing out that mask wearing has been shown to effectively curb the spread of new infections.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:21 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:

Went down the rabbit hole with this one. This Dr. Ritsch is the the kind of person that is needed to be a driving force behind hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin/zinc mixture to treat COVID19. The guy that wrote this article however is a looney toon biased idiot.

Im not sure why there is such a very small minority of people that are calling for the hydroxy/azit/zinc mixture. Because this Dr. Risch is about the only person that isnt some nut that says this mixture is safe and extremely effective.
[Reply]
O.city 01:25 PM 08-17-2020
It works great in a test tube. Alot of the best "results" have come from early treatment of mild symptomatic patients. The problem with it is you don't know if they got better from the treatment or just the natural course of the thing.

Tough stuff.
[Reply]
Page 2864 of 3903
« First < 1864236427642814285428602861286228632864 286528662867286828742914296433643864 > Last »
Up