ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3504 of 3903
« First < 2504300434043454349435003501350235033504 3505350635073508351435543604 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 06:33 PM 05-23-2021
13k cases today and 200 deaths.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:11 PM 05-23-2021
Time to close thread and nuke it like it never happened.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:21 PM 05-23-2021
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Time to close thread and nuke it like it never happened.
The reduction in US cases is fantastic news but the virus has hardly disappeared from the rest of the world.

It would be fantastic news if the vaccines gave life long immunity but more realistically the subject of booster shots is going to come back up.

And I wouldn't be shocked to see local outbreaks of one the variants here and there going forward. There are pockets of the country where vaccination rates are relatively low.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:23 PM 05-23-2021
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:37 AM 05-25-2021

Major finding: people who’ve had mild COVID-19 cases are left with long-term antibody protection, according to a #WashUMed study.

Senior author: @TheBcellArtisthttps://t.co/wFbXjPmWZR

— Washington U. Med (@WUSTLmed) May 24, 2021

Last fall, there were reports that antibodies wane quickly after infection with the virus that causes COVID-19, and mainstream media interpreted that to mean that immunity was not long-lived,” said senior author Ali Ellebedy, PhD, an associate professor of pathology & immunology, of medicine and of molecular microbiology. “But that’s a misinterpretation of the data. It’s normal for antibody levels to go down after acute infection, but they don’t go down to zero; they plateau. Here, we found antibody-producing cells in people 11 months after first symptoms. These cells will live and produce antibodies for the rest of people’s lives. That’s strong evidence for long-lasting immunity.”

During a viral infection, antibody-producing immune cells rapidly multiply and circulate in the blood, driving antibody levels sky-high. Once the infection is resolved, most such cells die off, and blood antibody levels drop. A small population of antibody-producing cells, called long-lived plasma cells, migrate to the bone marrow and settle in, where they continually secrete low levels of antibodies into the bloodstream to help guard against another encounter with the virus.

The key to figuring out whether COVID-19 leads to long-lasting antibody protection, Ellebedy realized, lies in the bone marrow. To find out whether those who have recovered from mild cases of COVID-19 harbor long-lived plasma cells that produce antibodies specifically targeted to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, Ellebedy teamed up with co-author Iskra Pusic, MD, an associate professor of medicine. Ellebedy already was working with co-authors Rachel Presti, MD, PhD, an associate professor of medicine, and Jane O’Halloran, MD, PhD, an assistant professor of medicine, on a project to track antibody levels in blood samples from COVID-19 survivors.
[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 05-25-2021
Yeah, memory B cells.

I believe I brought those up in here. Antibodies always wane.
[Reply]
TLO 09:51 AM 05-25-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, memory B cells.

I believe I brought those up in here. Antibodies always wane.
Yes. We've discussed this at length.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:54 AM 05-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
The reduction in US cases is fantastic news but the virus has hardly disappeared from the rest of the world.

It would be fantastic news if the vaccines gave life long immunity but more realistically the subject of booster shots is going to come back up.

And I wouldn't be shocked to see local outbreaks of one the variants here and there going forward. There are pockets of the country where vaccination rates are relatively low.
Bah, that's FUD.

The reality is that it is increasingly likely that people who have had COVID have strong immune protection for a very long time, if not life.

While it remains to be seen, it is just as likely that the jabs also confer this type of long lasting protection.
[Reply]
O.city 10:11 AM 05-25-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Yes. We've discussed this at length.
Our bodies are evolved to conserve energy and resources. Continually producing antibodies while you aren't currently infected is a waste of both.

Hence we have plasmoblasts (memory B cells) that recognize antigens (pieces of the virus we were infected with) and produce antibodies when we encounter it again.

It's really amazing.
[Reply]
O.city 10:12 AM 05-25-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Bah, that's FUD.

The reality is that it is increasingly likely that people who have had COVID have strong immune protection for a very long time, if not life.

While it remains to be seen, it is just as likely that the jabs also confer this type of long lasting protection.
Jabs yes. I'm still a bit skeptical on the natural infection conferring long lasting protection due to genetic drift of the virus, but you will still likely have some protection aka, you won't die.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:24 AM 05-25-2021
Read some concerning news today about what is going on in Livingston County and Linn county MO. Livingston health dept is reporting 12 vaccine breakthrough cases and Linn county (which is next to Livingston) has seen a alot of new cases. They are thinking it is a variant that is spreading.

Since MO has a low vaccination rate overall I would be cautious when being around other people for the time being.
[Reply]
O.city 10:29 AM 05-25-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Read some concerning news today about what is going on in Livingston County and Linn county MO. Livingston health dept is reporting 12 vaccine breakthrough cases and Linn county (which is next to Livingston) has seen a alot of new cases. They are thinking it is a variant that is spreading.

Since MO has a low vaccination rate overall I would be cautious when being around other people for the time being.
Vast majority of breakthru cases are mild to asymptomatic.

So I wouldn't worry.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:41 AM 05-25-2021
Vast majority of breakthru cases are mild to asymptomatic.

So I wouldn't worry.
thankful the vaccines save lives and hospitalizations but for such a small county to have that many breakthrough cases is eye opening. Wondering how many were J&J vaccines compared to the others
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:50 AM 05-25-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
thankful the vaccines save lives and hospitalizations but for such a small county to have that many breakthrough cases is eye opening. Wondering how many were J&J vaccines compared to the others
The vast majority of break through cases I've seen reported are from the J&J.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:52 AM 05-25-2021
Jabs yes. I'm still a bit skeptical on the natural infection conferring long lasting protection due to genetic drift of the virus, but you will still likely have some protection aka, you won't die.
Not what the science is pointing towards, but you go with that.
[Reply]
Page 3504 of 3903
« First < 2504300434043454349435003501350235033504 3505350635073508351435543604 > Last »
Up