ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3502 of 3903
« First < 2502300234023452349234983499350035013502 3503350435053506351235523602 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:17 PM 05-18-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
These days, admitting you were wrong is seen as a weakness, and doing so will almost certainly be used to generate sound bites that will be used against you. That's a huge problem.
I agree with that, but it's actually worse than that.

If you say there is an 80% of rain and it doesn't rain you will be accused of being wrong.

If you buy fire insurance and your house doesn't burn down, it will be considered a waste of money.

If new evidence comes in and you change your position, well, you don't even want to go there...
[Reply]
cdcox 11:50 PM 05-18-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
"The 60-Year-Old Scientific Screwup That Helped Covid Kill"

Spoiler!
Real science is not a fixed set of facts. It should be viewed as the most accurate human knowledge at the time. Science had some things wrong at the beginning of the pandemic. There are definitely still some parts of our knowledge that are wrong. Science is the process of moving toward the truth. “Trust the science” means based on our best knowledge right now, this is what we should do now. “Trust the science” means that we will have better information in the future and that policy will change over time, but that it will get better. “Trust the science” never means to stop asking questions, but reality requires us to make decisions now that have consequences today and in the future. Should I wear a mask or not? Should I get vaccinated or not? Should we take steps to generate energy differently than we do today? How are we to answer these questions: science? Politics? Gut feeling? Flip a coin?

If you don’t “trust the science” bloodletting is equally valid as a course of antibiotics. If you don’t “trust the science” you shouldn’t get on an airplane. We thought things like polywater (google it) and cold fusion were potential scientific breakthroughs in our past. “Trusting the science” has debunked them. Science is a process, not a set of fixed facts. But the process inevitably leads to more complete and accurate information overtime. The pursuit of truth is not a straight line. But, I cannot think of a single instance where more and more investigation according to the scientific method led us further from the truth. Trust the science.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:48 AM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Real science is not a fixed set of facts. It should be viewed as the most accurate human knowledge at the time. Science had some things wrong at the beginning of the pandemic. There are definitely still some parts of our knowledge that are wrong. Science is the process of moving toward the truth. “Trust the science” means based on our best knowledge right now, this is what we should do now. “Trust the science” means that we will have better information in the future and that policy will change over time, but that it will get better. “Trust the science” never means to stop asking questions, but reality requires us to make decisions now that have consequences today and in the future. Should I wear a mask or not? Should I get vaccinated or not? Should we take steps to generate energy differently than we do today? How are we to answer these questions: science? Politics? Gut feeling? Flip a coin?

If you don’t “trust the science” bloodletting is equally valid as a course of antibiotics. If you don’t “trust the science” you shouldn’t get on an airplane. We thought things like polywater (google it) and cold fusion were potential scientific breakthroughs in our past. “Trusting the science” has debunked them. Science is a process, not a set of fixed facts. But the process inevitably leads to more complete and accurate information overtime. The pursuit of truth is not a straight line. But, I cannot think of a single instance where more and more investigation according to the scientific method led us further from the truth. Trust the science.
That's great and all but many people who use the term "trust the science" use it to mean trust the science that agrees with my feelings.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:11 AM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
That's great and all but many people who use the term "trust the science" use it to mean trust the science that agrees with my feelings.
Isn’t that the same for people who don’t trust science, they trust their feelings more.
Unfortunately the are more people at the wrong end of the spectrum in the general population .
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:41 AM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Isn’t that the same for people who don’t trust science, they trust their feelings more.
Unfortunately the are more people at the wrong end of the spectrum in the general population .
Nice strawman.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:46 AM 05-19-2021

I mostly agree with you. However, my issue is that it's not clear what "the science" is. While I get frustrated at anti-maskers, the message wasn't "we think that there's only a 30% probability that masks will help, so we aren't recommending them right now" back in February. It was "masks aren't necessary." So then when things change, everyone points to that as if "the science" was wrong. And obviously there are dozens of similar examples throughout this whole thing.

I don't have an answer to all of this. If public messaging was more nuanced, I think it would help to clarify what "the science" is actually telling us. But then I'm sure we'd hear plenty of criticism that "the science" isn't clear so we shouldn't trust it at all.

It just sucks all around.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:02 AM 05-19-2021

The problem, as DaFace put it, is transparency.

Throughout this pandemic, the message hasn't been "trust the science", it's "trust us, because we understand the science and you don't".
[Reply]
DaFace 10:08 AM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The problem, as DaFace put it, is transparency.

Throughout this pandemic, the message hasn't been "trust the science", it's "trust us, because we understand the science and you don't".
I'm sure it would crash and burn hard, but it would be interesting to have a running public dashboard of responses from a weekly survey of experts with just a bunch of yes/no questions that you could filter by field. I'd love to be able to check in at any time and see, for example, what percent of epidemiologists vs. economists think we should still have indoor mask mandates.

Again, way too nuanced for public consumption probably, but that's the kind of data I wish we had. I trust "the experts" collectively, but the information we tend to get today always seems very black and white when it's just coming from one source.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:10 AM 05-19-2021
I'm sure it would crash and burn hard, but it would be interesting to have a running public dashboard of responses from a weekly survey of experts with just a bunch of yes/no questions that you could filter by field. I'd love to be able to check in at any time and see, for example, what percent of epidemiologists vs. economists think we should still have indoor mask mandates.

Again, way too nuanced for public consumption probably, but that's the kind of data I wish we had.
I'll be perfectly honest.

Despite some of the vitriol that is involved, I've learned WAY MORE from CP about this virus than any "legitimate" source.

That really shouldn't happen when it comes to something like this.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:17 AM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'll be perfectly honest.

Despite some of the vitriol that is involved, I've learned WAY MORE from CP about this virus than any "legitimate" source.

That really shouldn't happen when it comes to something like this.
It's tricky, though. Is there good information to be found in this thread? Definitely. Is there also a lot of complete and utter garbage? Absolutely. (Though to be fair 90% of it went away when Donger and Pete finally got dumped.)

Democratization of information relies on the recipients being able to sift through the junk to find the valuable. I'd probably argue that CPers are better than the general population at that because there's a lot of junk around here just as a matter of standard operation. Many people on Facebook and similar just don't have the practice to do that effectively.

The counterargument to everything I've been saying is that we've had people on here (and everywhere) doing their own "analysis" of the data with no expertise to do so this whole time, so that doesn't really work either.

:-) :-)
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:32 AM 05-19-2021

Where was this fabled "process" when whatever specialties making up the WHO's decision-makers ignored subject matter experts in favor of 60+ year old "conventional wisdom?"
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:30 PM 05-19-2021
I mostly agree with you. However, my issue is that it's not clear what "the science" is. While I get frustrated at anti-maskers, the message wasn't "we think that there's only a 30% probability that masks will help, so we aren't recommending them right now" back in February. It was "masks aren't necessary." So then when things change, everyone points to that as if "the science" was wrong. And obviously there are dozens of similar examples throughout this whole thing.

I don't have an answer to all of this. If public messaging was more nuanced, I think it would help to clarify what "the science" is actually telling us. But then I'm sure we'd hear plenty of criticism that "the science" isn't clear so we shouldn't trust it at all.

It just sucks all around.

I always come back to the fact that this was and is still a novel virus with lots of unknowns. There is no reason to blame "science" or scientists\doctors for changing positions etc when they are learning about this virus in real time.

Here we are 15 months later and I think the experts probably know maybe 5% of what this virus does to the human body. We are going to spend millions if not billions of dollars on long haulers medical issues moving forward.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:38 PM 05-19-2021
I have a medical question for you all.

I had some health stuff a couple of years ago, and the long-term outcome was frequent headaches. It's gotten better over time and it's easily managed, but it was pretty consistent and frequent headaches. By April of 2021 it was down to a couple of headaches a week on but it was consistently so.

I got the second covid shot and had a really strong immune reaction to it. It wiped me out for about 24 hours.

Since then...almost no headaches. I've had two very minor ones in four weeks.

Would a strong covid immune reaction kill some other type of infection or issue? I wouldn't think so, but the timing of suddenly having almost no issues after two years makes me wonder if something happened.
[Reply]
ChiTown 01:44 PM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

I had some health stuff a couple of years ago, and the long-term outcome was frequent headaches. It's gotten better over time and it's easily managed, but it was pretty consistent and frequent headaches. By April of 2021 it was down to a couple of headaches a week on but it was consistently so.

I got the second covid shot and had a really strong immune reaction to it. It wiped me out for about 24 hours.

Would a strong covid immune reaction kill some other type of infection or issue? I wouldn't think so, but the timing of suddenly having almost no issues after two years makes me wonder if something happened.
I'm no Doctor, but I'm pretty sure you are pregnant.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:54 PM 05-19-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

Are you got a shot and you didn't eat a bunch of shrooms?
[Reply]
Page 3502 of 3903
« First < 2502300234023452349234983499350035013502 3503350435053506351235523602 > Last »
Up