ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which one do you pick?
Hawaii, plus $550,100 annual stipend 32 72.73%
California, plus $250,000 annual stipend 12 27.27%
Gosh, I can't decide. 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Mansionmania Tournament: Round 3, Heat 7
Rain Man 11:17 AM 11-24-2021
Mansionmania continues with our Sweet 16 3rd-round contestants. You will choose among each pair of houses with the following assumptions:

I encourage you to click on the maps in the listings to see the general location and neighborhood.

Also, I will only enter contestants if they have a sufficient number of photos to judge, as determined by me.

Your entries in this heat are:

Hawaii:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M91907-82962

California:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M16709-05739
[Reply]
Otter 01:58 PM 11-24-2021
Access to the beach, a sushi place in walking distance, and that kitchen. Oh, that kitchen!

I'll agree no wrong answer but I'm taking Hawaii.

How could you be that close to a body of water and not be able access it (Cali). That's just criminal.

[Reply]
oldman 02:21 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
This is my favorite of the California properties, and I am voting for it.
The 100 mile limit makes the Hawaii place a one-note entertainment place - even though it is a fabulous note.
I think it would be easier to get my friends and relatives to visit me in SF than in HI, and I would put them up.
I agree 100%. Other than cars, hookers, and blow, what would you spend that extra cash on? San Francisco is a beautiful city with so many things to do and see. I will agree that the pool is kind of a waste because it's a rare day when the temps get much above 75.
[Reply]
eDave 02:21 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
I agree 100%. Other than cars, hookers, and blow, what would you spend that extra cash on? San Francisco is a beautiful city with so many things to do and see. I will agree that the pool is kind of a waste because it's a rare day when the temps get much above 75.
Many pools are just entertainment backdrops.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:45 PM 11-24-2021
It is like people have never heard of heated pools.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:04 PM 11-24-2021
Thought it was going to be a tough decision, but forgot we had a northern CA house, and don't really care for the house or location.... at least not compared to Hawaii.
[Reply]
MagicHef 03:25 PM 11-24-2021
I guess I'm not sure what benefit there is to living outside SF compared to Kona. Kona has great restaurants, some of the best beaches in the world, jungle and mountain hiking nearby, fishing and whale watching tours. What would I be missing by not being in SF? Pro sports in person is the only thing I can think of that I'd be interested in, and even that is better on TV anymore.
[Reply]
eDave 03:29 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
I guess I'm not sure what benefit there is to living outside SF compared to Kona. Kona has great restaurants, some of the best beaches in the world, jungle and mountain hiking nearby, fishing and whale watching tours. What would I be missing by not being in SF? Pro sports in person is the only thing I can think of that I'd be interested in, and even that is better on TV anymore.
SF just has so much more of all of that. Except for the best beaches. I've heard those Hawaii beaches start to close in on you after a while.
[Reply]
Infidel Goat 03:40 PM 11-24-2021
I'm taking Hawaii but I do want to note that the pool does not seem to belong to the property if you look at pictures #4 and #5 and pay attention to the property line. Still, I could use a little of my surplus cash from the first year and put a custom one in.
[Reply]
oldman 04:04 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Let's see -- One of the top 15 symphonies in the world along with a vibrant current music scene, world-class restaurants, museums, and art. There's a couple of pretty good universities around for your kids if they're smart enough. You can fish and hike close by if you want to go to that route. Outstanding vineyards within the 100 mile limit. Oh yeah, sourdough breasd that can't be matched.
[Reply]
MagicHef 04:29 PM 11-24-2021
Originally Posted by Infidel Goat:
I'm taking Hawaii but I do want to note that the pool does not seem to belong to the property if you look at pictures #4 and #5 and pay attention to the property line. Still, I could use a little of my surplus cash from the first year and put a custom one in.
The house for sale includes multiple properties as defined on that map. The pool definitely belongs to this property.
[Reply]
MagicHef 04:50 PM 11-24-2021
Let's see -- One of the top 15 symphonies in the world along with a vibrant current music scene, world-class restaurants, museums, and art. There's a couple of pretty good universities around for your kids if they're smart enough. You can fish and hike close by if you want to go to that route. Outstanding vineyards within the 100 mile limit. Oh yeah, sourdough breasd that can't be matched.
Some of those are interesting. The biggest draw, universities, would be difficult to base a decision on because my children could easily choose any other university. Fishing and hiking would be odd reasons to choose SF over Hawaii. None of them outweigh easy access to beautiful beaches like those on the Big Island.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:05 PM 11-24-2021
Hawaii. I figured I’d run that Cali house a ways but I’d probably get a shack on Hawaii to the semifinals.

I haven’t been a big location guy because I hate humidity and stupid heat. Fucking Hawaii was paradise.
[Reply]
EPodolak 09:30 PM 11-24-2021
A lot to love about both spots. Hawaii would be my choice though, prefer the house and the weather. I trust all the unknowns about living way out there in the middle of the Pacific would sort out favorably, have a hunch.
[Reply]
scho63 07:51 AM 11-25-2021
Hawaii by a mile.

While the views in the CALI house of San Fran, GG bridge and the location is great (about 20-25 minutes to Napa/Sonoma), the house reminds me of a giant conference center/hotel.

To wake up, climb stairs to the ocean and snorkel or swim from your house and see whales, turtles, dolphins is paradise!
[Reply]
TinyEvel 11:31 AM 11-25-2021
This is a super tough one for me. I've been voting this Cali home in all the heats, but Hawaii, to be able to just plop into the ocean any old time is amazing. Probably the biggest drawback of living up here near this California home is can't go in to the ocean like I could in L.A.

Hawaii. and would probably have visitors 9 months year.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up