« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach is the best GM in the NFL
staylor26 11:51 AM 07-14-2020
I don’t think it’s even debatable at this point
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:06 AM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Good left tackles don't grow on trees.
With Brown's style he's an excellent run blocker below average pass blocker for what he should be asked to do. Patrick shouldn't be asked to change, but get players that gel with Mahomes. Patrick is the franchise, you better grow Oaks because he'll be here for more than 10 years if protected properly.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:23 AM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
With Brown's style he's an excellent run blocker below average pass blocker for what he should be asked to do. Patrick shouldn't be asked to change, but get players that gel with Mahomes. Patrick is the franchise, you better grow Oaks because he'll be here for more than 10 years if protected properly.
They've played together for 14 games. You don't think you're overreacting just a tad?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:24 AM 12-20-2021
Brown made the pro bowl as a left tackle with Lamar Jackson running all over the field behind him.

Suggesting Brown isn't a good fit after 14 games is premature.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:28 AM 12-20-2021
Brown made the pro bowl as a left tackle with Lamar Jackson running all over the field behind him.

Suggesting Brown isn't a good fit after 14 games is premature.
Jackson running all over the field made speed rushing a REALLY bad proposition against him. Edge rushers had to play contain and couldn't just blast upfield.

Jackson and the Ravens offense took Browns greatest weakness and essentially neutralized it. This offense takes his greatest weakness and emphasizes it.

Again - this is as someone who says that the deal was a no-brainer and has worked out very well for us. If OBJr never improves even a little against speed rushers, he's a competent, credible LT who didn't cost us a ton and can still be tagged at a reasonable figure next year.

But to say we should just whistle past the graveyard on his deep set issues isn't entirely fair either. Those are probably not going away.

I've seen several plays where the slightest bit of help on his outside shoulder makes a huge difference in how effective he can be. I'm not entirely sure why we don't do that a little more. Just a little bit of outside help knocks a lot of the starch out of a wide rush. It also keeps him from having to cheat back/out as quickly so he's less susceptible to getting deked and beat back inside.

There's a pretty simple solution for Brown's issues but we can't just overlook them either.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:30 AM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Jackson running all over the field made speed rushing a REALLY bad proposition against him. Edge rushers had to play contain and couldn't just blast upfield.

Jackson and the Ravens offense took Browns greatest weakness and essentially neutralized it. This offense takes his greatest weakness and emphasizes it.

Again - this is as someone who says that the deal was a no-brainer and has worked out very well for us. If OBJr never improves even a little against speed rushers, he's a competent, credible LT who didn't cost us a ton and can still be tagged at a reasonable figure next year.

But to say we should just whistle past the graveyard on his deep set issues isn't entirely fair either. Those are probably not going away.

I've seen several plays where the slightest bit of help on his outside shoulder makes a huge difference in how effective he can be. I'm not entirely sure why we don't do that a little more. Just a little bit of outside help knocks a lot of the starch out of a wide rush. It also keeps him from having to cheat back/out as quickly so he's less susceptible to getting deked and beat back inside.

There's a pretty simple solution for Brown's issues but we can't just overlook them either.
I'm not suggesting we overlook the issues. I'm also not suggesting we start looking for a replacement right now, either.

I'm not in favor of signing him long-term. The franchise tag was tailor made for this kind of situation. Use it.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:32 AM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
We do have cap space but I think they’ll be using that primarily on Brown Jr and Ward
And Tyreek. Of the group of Ward, Brown, Hill, and Mathieu, Tyrann is the most expendable.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:33 AM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
And Tyreek. Of the group of Ward, Brown, Hill, and Mathieu, Tyrann is the most expendable.
Yep.
[Reply]
ChiTown 10:34 AM 12-20-2021
I'm not suggesting we overlook the issues. I'm also not suggesting we start looking for a replacement right now, either.

I'm not in favor of signing him long-term. The franchise tag was tailor made for this kind of situation. Use it.
Yep - my preference is to Tag OB, and focus our efforts on O by getting a legit #2 WR.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:41 AM 12-20-2021

I can go either way.

If he wants $22+ million/yr - tag him.

But if he's willing to sign this off-season to a deal that puts him in the Garret Bolles, Kolten Miller, Ronnie Stanley range of somewhere between $17-19 million/yr for the next 4-5 years, I'd take him up on that.

The continuity it would afford on the OL would just be immense. You have realistically 3 more years with this line essentially completely intact. And with 3 guys at C/RG/RT making essentially nothing, you can afford to carry two more expensive guys at LT/LG. By the time those 3 young guys need new contracts, you'll probably need to move on from Brown, Thuney or both.

But that's a looooong way down the road and in the meantime Mahomes can get awfully comfortable with his new set of linemen.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:45 AM 12-20-2021
I can go either way.

If he wants $22+ million/yr - tag him.

But if he's willing to sign this off-season to a deal that puts him in the Garret Bolles, Kolten Miller, Ronnie Stanley range of somewhere between $17-19 million/yr for the next 4-5 years, I'd take him up on that.

The continuity it would afford on the OL would just be immense. You have realistically 3 more years with this line essentially completely intact. And with 3 guys at C/RG/RT making essentially nothing, you can afford to carry two more expensive guys at LT/LG. By the time those 3 young guys need new contracts, you'll probably need to move on from Brown, Thuney or both.

But that's a looooong way down the road and in the meantime Mahomes can get awfully comfortable with his new set of linemen.
I can agree with pretty much all of this. :-)
[Reply]
O.city 10:56 AM 12-20-2021
The issue I have with moving on is actually finding a better LT than him. In order to do that, you're probably looking at a first round pick.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:03 AM 12-20-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
The issue I have with moving on is actually finding a better LT than him. In order to do that, you're probably looking at a first round pick.
In a draft that doesn't have much in the way of premier OT talent. Meanwhile there's a shitload of DL talent and we could REALLY use an infusion there. And there's some really nice talent at WR and S that will likely be around in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

This draft sets up extremely nicely for the Chiefs if they can avoid any 'need' picks. And retaining Brown allows them to do that. I mean ultimately if/when they cut Clark, DL becomes a need (especially w/ Reed and Nnadi as FAs), but you can cobble together a DL with savvy veteran picks if necessary. You can let the board come to you if DL is what you're focused on.

There are some solid developmental options at T for 2023 if you wanted to go that route, but I don't see a set and forget 1st round option for 2022 at T.
[Reply]
O.city 11:09 AM 12-20-2021
In a draft that doesn't have much in the way of premier OT talent. Meanwhile there's a shitload of DL talent and we could REALLY use an infusion there. And there's some really nice talent at WR and S that will likely be around in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

This draft sets up extremely nicely for the Chiefs if they can avoid any 'need' picks. And retaining Brown allows them to do that. I mean ultimately if/when they cut Clark, DL becomes a need (especially w/ Reed and Nnadi as FAs), but you can cobble together a DL with savvy veteran picks if necessary. You can let the board come to you if DL is what you're focused on.

There are some solid developmental options at T for 2023 if you wanted to go that route, but I don't see a set and forget 1st round option for 2022 at T.
Those guys tend to go super high in teh draft anyway. I think it's a "don't fuck up a good thing" with Brown. Yeah, I wouldn't overpay by magnitudes, but if he'd slot in say, a bit more than Bolles, do it and move on.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:11 AM 12-20-2021
I think the smart money is paying Brown Jr quickly. Just get it done. He’s proven to be a solid LT who can only get better. That is REALLY hard to find and will cost us valuable assets to move up in the first round to attain. You’re looking at spending a ton of money or giving up enough draft capitol to move up 10 spots at the very least. That’s also dependent on draft position.

I would try this if I were Veach.

-Cut Clark and Hitchens
-Pay Brown Jr. low first year cap hit in ‘22
-Pay Ward. Low first year cap hit in ‘22
-Extend Tyreek. Lower his cap hit to free up money.
-Franchise tag Mathieu. It’s only $10.6 million for a safety. That’s relatively cheap.
-Bring Ingram back
-Look for a decent #2 WR

JMO
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:18 AM 12-20-2021
If we let Brown walk and couldn't grab Fisher or somebody else as a stopgap, I'd rather re-sign Remmers and roll with Niang at LT than spend another 1st round pick in trading for an expensive veteran. Drafting a guy? I mean, if Veach/Reid think he's good, then sure. But we can't lose the 1st rounder AND spend the money.
[Reply]
Page 60 of 112
« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110 > Last »
Up