ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 37
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2020-21 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread***
comochiefsfan 10:08 PM 12-02-2020
Apologies if someone else already started this, but thought I would get the conversation going if not.

Hell of a win tonight. Pinson is a stud. Tilmon looks to have finally learned how to defend without fouling.

Definitely a promising start to the season. 2-0 and looks like this has a chance to be the best team of the Cuonzo era up to this point.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:54 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Not having Tilmon the last 2 games has hurt. If they had him, they probably win the last 2. (Definitely the Arky game) The Ole Miss game was just an abortion all the way around. And let’s not forget that ugly second half against Bama, even though they held on for the win.

The truth is, Mizzou has looked a bit listless since the second half of that Bama game. Not sure what happened, but damn they just fell off a ****ing cliff. They’ve gone from a potential Top 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA tourney to potentially being on the bubble if they drop a couple more. An epic collapse that only Mizzou can pull off. :-)

They’ve tried everything it seems like, coaching wise. Just burn the entire basketball program to the ****ing ground. They haven’t been relevant since they left the Big 12. SEC has worked out good for the football program and for baseball, but has absolutely destroyed basketball. And it’s not even like the SEC is that great of a basketball conference. :-)

Like I said, just burn it to the ****ing ground and be done with it . . . . . .
They haven't tried EVERYTHING. They've made 3 "cute" hires in a row.

They haven't worked out. Because they were low-percentage plays.

Haith, they were banked on him being able to turn it up at a school that better supported basketball.

Anderson, they were banking on nostalgia and being tough and pithy to resurrect the Norm years (because a bunch of dumb old boosters forgot what Norm's tenure was like after 94).

Martin, they were betting he would suddenly elevate his recruiting and lovk down st. louis. it looked good for the first 9 months or so.

Dude's recruiting is below average. Just isn't good enough. And he's not a good in-game coach, and he thinks basketball is still played the way it was in 1998.

Make a good hire and it comes back quick. Make bad hires and it stays where it is.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:25 PM 02-20-2021
19 point lead about to become single digits.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:25 PM 03-06-2021
Big recruiting weekend.
[Reply]
TrebMaxx 02:38 PM 03-06-2021
Does this announcer for LSU - MU not realize that both teams are Tigers? Geeze, what fail as he just keeps talking tigers this and tigers that. Which ones dipshit?
[Reply]
petegz28 04:11 PM 03-06-2021
What a shit finish to this season....hell of a start and went to crap the last few weeks
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:09 PM 03-06-2021
What the hell happened with MU hoops? They were a pretty decent team most of the year
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:42 AM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
What the hell happened with MU hoops? They were a pretty decent team most of the year
Cuonzo Martin doesn’t get the most out of players. It’s painful watching him compared to the coach across the state line in Kansas. Self’s teams always show immense growth throughout the season. Missouri has never shown much improvement in any given season under Martin.

Next year is going to be ugly.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:37 PM 03-07-2021
Cuonzo just isn't cut out for this job. Recruiting in STL, the one thing he's supposed to be good at, hasn't happened. He actually seems to be really fucking bad as a recruiter and really fucking bad as a coach too.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 03:04 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Cuonzo just isn't cut out for this job. Recruiting in STL, the one thing he's supposed to be good at, hasn't happened. He actually seems to be really ****ing bad as a recruiter and really ****ing bad as a coach too.
I think you can somewhat get by if you’re good at either recruiting or coaching/Xs and Os, but when you’re not particularly good at either one? CM gets a pass more than he probably should because he’s squeaky clean and he’s a good mentor to his players.

The problem is that’s all you hear about him. You never see negative press, just some article titled something like “It’s About More Than Basketball With Cuonzo Martin”. The funny thing is, I struggle to see similar statements around Self, Calipari, Williams, etc. It’s about whether they win or lose and not much more. I guess you can’t expect that much at Missouri, but you also probably shouldn’t pay over $3 million a year for a motivational speaker.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:27 PM 03-07-2021
Cuonzo just isn't cut out for this job. Recruiting in STL, the one thing he's supposed to be good at, hasn't happened. He actually seems to be really fucking bad as a recruiter and really fucking bad as a coach too.

Cuonzo should be gonzo.
[Reply]
dlphg9 04:44 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I think you can somewhat get by if you’re good at either recruiting or coaching/Xs and Os, but when you’re not particularly good at either one? CM gets a pass more than he probably should because he’s squeaky clean and he’s a good mentor to his players.

The problem is that’s all you hear about him. You never see negative press, just some article titled something like “It’s About More Than Basketball With Cuonzo Martin”. The funny thing is, I struggle to see similar statements around Self, Calipari, Williams, etc. It’s about whether they win or lose and not much more. I guess you can’t expect that much at Missouri, but you also probably shouldn’t pay over $3 million a year for a motivational speaker.
God, I remember being so excited for him his first year here. The Porters, Tilmon, Harris. That 2017 class was by far the best class MU basketball has ever had and we just got rid of the worst coach to ever coach a power 5 conference.

It all comes crumbling down very quickly and becomes extremely obvious that Martin had very little to do with the class and Michael Porter was 99% responsible for recruiting those guys.

Since then he's had a bunch of classes that resemble a Kim Anderson recruiting job and then you have the 2020 class, 163rd in the country!

Good fucking God.

He could have at least used the momentum from 2017 to build something. He was supposed to get STL back and be able to talk to those kids, but from 2018-2021 he has 3 STL commits and has lost a ton of kids to other schools. Maybe Drink could teach him a thing or 2 about recruiting.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:52 PM 03-07-2021
God, I remember being so excited for him his first year here. The Porters, Tilmon, Harris. That 2017 class was by far the best class MU basketball has ever had and we just got rid of the worst coach to ever coach a power 5 conference.

It all comes crumbling down very quickly and becomes extremely obvious that Martin had very little to do with the class and Michael Porter was 99% responsible for recruiting those guys.

Since then he's had a bunch of classes that resemble a Kim Anderson recruiting job and then you have the 2020 class, 163rd in the country!

Good fucking God.

He could have at least used the momentum from 2017 to build something. He was supposed to get STL back and be able to talk to those kids, but from 2018-2021 he has 3 STL commits and has lost a ton of kids to other schools. Maybe Drink could teach him a thing or 2 about recruiting.

It started to slide when he lost Liddell to Ohio State. Everything was positive until that point. I think it cost him major momentum in St. Louis.

He also took a bunch of very questionable players and ran off a lot of guys with talent.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:25 PM 03-07-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
It started to slide when he lost Liddell to Ohio State. Everything was positive until that point. I think it cost him major momentum in St. Louis.

He also took a bunch of very questionable players and ran off a lot of guys with talent.
That second part.

I don’t think we’d be in terrible shape right now if he’d managed to keep Jackson and McKinney around.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:16 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Cuonzo Martin doesn’t get the most out of players. It’s painful watching him compared to the coach across the state line in Kansas. Self’s teams always show immense growth throughout the season. Missouri has never shown much improvement in any given season under Martin.

Next year is going to be ugly.
That's pretty much what hes been his whole career. I'm not a Mizzou fan so I dont know what the expectations were going in obviously hes an upgrade over the last coach though thats not saying much. From an outsider point of view this is what it's pretty much been for you guys post Norm Stewart.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 08:40 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
That's pretty much what hes been his whole career. I'm not a Mizzou fan so I dont know what the expectations were going in obviously hes an upgrade over the last coach though thats not saying much. From an outsider point of view this is what it's pretty much been for you guys post Norm Stewart.
The expectation with a healthy and senior laden team was being much improved and hopefully towards the top of the SEC. They are admittedly improved, but not as much as I would have hoped and they seem to have regressed throughout late in the season. It is what it is, he’s stuck here even longer now due to making the tournament and our brilliant AD is even looking into extending Cuonzo Martin.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 37
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up