ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 552 of 3903
« First < 52452502542548549550551552 55355455555656260265210521552 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:39 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
You are just an asshole.

Confirmed many times over.
I am sorry you think posting news is an asshole thing to do.

:-)

I would ask you to stop speaking of me and discuss the news, perhaps. A better use of this thread.
[Reply]
Fish 11:44 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I'm sorry, but this is a thread for pandemic-related news.

Looting IS HAPPENING. It's in the the freakin' news.

I'm not "starting shit." I have no idea why you don't want to read the news.

I sure do, so I share it. Please let me know if you see more news of looting. I hope it stops.

Thanks.
Nobody who's been around for more than a week believes that. You're stirring shit like you always do, tiptoeing the line and feigning innocence. Nothing new...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:45 PM 03-20-2020
Let's get back to the news people.

THE LATEST: The Center for Vaccine Research at Pitt has successfully taken a portion of the virus that leads to COVID-19 and attached it to a genetically modified measles vaccine that has been used for years. https://t.co/KpocIwlLV7

— KDKA (@KDKA) March 21, 2020

[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:19 AM 03-21-2020
As a troll myself who has been trolling facebook. I can tell you it is hard not to troll in these times. It's wrong but it helps cope.
[Reply]
eDave 03-21-2020, 12:21 AM
This message has been deleted by eDave.
Demonpenz 12:22 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
I haven't left my house in a week and a half. I'm fortunate to be able to work from home. Today, I ventured out at around 9am to go to Dollar General (I figured the supermarket would be ransacked). I only wanted to get some diet mt. dew and milk. I went in, grabbed a 12 pack of mt dew and a gallon of milk and then thought, I wonder if they have any lysol, so I ran back to the cleaning supplies and they were out. No biggie. I start walking down the main aisle to the front of the store so I can get the hell out of there and all of the sudden an employee walks out of one of the aisles and coughs twice without covering her damn mouth like 2 feet away from me (she mumbled excuse me as she walked bye like it was no big deal). I'm not the type to lose my cool so I immediately held my breath clear up to the counter, checked out, drove straight home, and took a shower. It's the closest I've ever come to bitching someone out in public. There are only 2 people in my county that have it (officially) and I would think at this point someone would have the decency not to come to work if they had all the symptoms, but I've of course been worried/paranoid all day. It sucks that we have to live like this now.
if you don't go to work you don't get paid.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:26 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
A) Those numbers don't match what is coming out of John Hopkins
B) If the rate of increase holds steady (+~38% today from John Hopkins stats), we'll hit 60K by Tuesday
C) Those numbers are only for those tested, actual numbers will be much higher (but much lower severity, on average)
From Nate Silver:

For the time being, 1) the large (perhaps very large) majority of coronavirus positives are undetected and 2) test capacity is ramping up at extremely fast rates, far faster than coronavirus itself would spread even under worst-case assumptions.

So long as those two things hold, the rate of increase in the number of *detected* cases is primarily a function of the rate of increase in the number of *tests* and does not tell us that much about how fast the actual *infection* is spreading
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:35 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
read the thread before you continue to post drivel...

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...postcount=7945
That's about N95 masks. You realize surgical masks are completely different right? I've said that like 5 times already. I don't think people understand.

This is an N95 mask:

N95 masks are primarily to protect the wearer - especially when in a high-risk environment like around a hospital. They have to be fitted. You can't have a beard. They can certainly protect others from the wearer as well. If people have them they wear them.

This is a surgical mask:

Surgical masks are primarily to protect others from the wearer. They don't have to be perfect but if they knock down 90% of the tiny breath droplets that come out of asymptomatic people, or sputum droplets that come out of symptomatic people - that's a big win. A surgical mask doesn't have to be that precise. This is what there are billions of in Asia, not N95.

I work at a university where lots of Asian students wear these - even before all this happened. Most of them are wearing plain old surgical masks, not N95.

This is what's working in Japan:

@oliverbeige @jemenger @naval @balajis @MarikaKatanuma
Hi, I’m an American living in Japan. This is my on-the-ground report of Japan’s corona situation—what the rest of the world can learn from Japan, and what Japan needs to still be concerned about.

— Shane (@ShaneJ614) March 20, 2020

13/ As a result, large % of population already wearing masks at time of outbreak. Initial news of outbreak only increased mask wearing ahead of viral spread in Japan.

— Shane (@ShaneJ614) March 20, 2020

This is the Hong Kong protocol:

Japan follows the Hong Kong protocol: https://t.co/hY0kRCxPSC https://t.co/hY0kRCxPSC

— Jo (@jperla) March 20, 2020

and gloves

Protocol

Protocol for going out

Everyone puts on a mask before going outside. Masks work. Even homemade ones. This is especially important on the subway as people get into close proximity. This limits a lot of asymptomatic transmission. The US has to become OK...

— Jo (@jperla) March 20, 2020

Even homemade is ok. My boss told me how her family in Chongqing reuses the surgical masks by putting a paper towel around them and throwing the paper towel away.

China requires everyone to wear masks (not N95) outside right now. Czechoslovakia is requiring everyone to wear masks. The Chinese expert who's in Italy is telling them they need to have everyone wearing masks. But literally a bandana or homemade mask is much better than nothing.

NY Times: Why Telling People They Don’t Need Masks Backfired

Originally Posted by :
Fourth, the W.H.O. and the C.D.C. told the public to wear masks if they were sick. However, there is increasing evidence of asymptomatic transmission, especially through younger people who have milder cases and don’t know they are sick but are still infectious. Since the W.H.O. and the C.D.C. do say that masks lessen the chances that infected people will infect others, then everyone should use masks. If the public is told that only the sick people are to wear masks, then those who do wear them will be stigmatized and people may well avoid wearing them if it screams “I’m sick.” Further, it’s very difficult to be tested for Covid-19 in the United States. How are people supposed to know for sure when to mask up?

Fifth, places like Hong Kong and Taiwan that jumped to action early with social distancing and universal mask wearing have the pandemic under much greater control, despite having significant travel from mainland China. Hong Kong health officials credit universal mask wearing as part of the solution and recommend universal mask wearing. In fact, Taiwan responded to the coronavirus by immediately ramping up mask production.
When we open back up again we have to require something over your mouth until this thing is gone imo. I assume (hope) our govt knows this, they just don't want to cause a panic run on masks right now (understandable).
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:40 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'd never put the pieces together, but I knew that my grandfather had a brother who died as a young child. I always assumed that he was stillborn or it was some "normal" childhood illness, but I learned this week that he died in the Spanish Flu epidemic. Apparently my great-grandmother was very sick with it and didn't know he had died until after he was buried.

I did remember the same great-grandmother going to check on their neighbors on the next farm since no one had heard from them in a while, and when she went to their house the entire family was dead.

It must've been a heckuva thing. 1918 is the only year in the 20th century when America's total population declined http://demographia.com/db-uspop1900.htm.
PBS has been re-running the American Experience about the Spanish Flu if. you want to learn more. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...lms/influenza/
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:28 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
and you still don't think that mask production in the US was ramped up starting in January...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...urvey-n1164841

Originally Posted by :
A health care worker at a hospital in Indiana described a Kafkaesque scenario: medical staffers can only get the masks when a patient has tested positive for the virus, but the facility has no way to confirm a case.

“There are many possible exposures in my hospital but are not equipped with the testing devices in order to confirm the cases,” the worker wrote. “We are then not allowed to wear proper PPE because they are not ‘positive’ and because our hospital is short on the PPE. We are also told that we are expected to keep the N-95 masks for several days and several patients and that they can be disinfected with Sanicloth wipes.”

“We do not have N95 masks, so we are being asked to intubate patients (which exposes us to entire airway) with normal masks,” wrote the pregnant nurse from Ohio. “It is unacceptable. We are supposed to treat every patient as suspected positive but we are unable to protect ourselves.”
Well it looks like there's still a major shortage.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 02:32 AM 03-21-2020
https://theintercept.com/2020/03/20/...utbreak-italy/

ITALY’S CORONAVIRUS NIGHTMARE COULD HAPPEN IN U.S. WITHIN DAYS OR WEEKS, EX-CDC CHIEF SAYS

ITALY’S REPORTED CORONAVIRUS death toll grew to more than 4,000 on Friday, outpacing China, a country with more than 20 times its population. The Italian health care system is now buckling under the weight of the pandemic. Health care professionals are working day and night to keep critically ill Covid-19 patients alive, while wartime triage conditions have left doctors to decide who lives and who dies. The crematorium in the hard-hit city of Bergamo is so overwhelmed that the army was brought in to deal with the corpses.

It could be a matter of weeks — or even days — before something similar happens here, Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told The Intercept.

“Right now, the major concern that I have, and that other public health experts have, is the risk of outstripping health care capacity,” said Frieden, who is currently a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations. “This would be catastrophic. It’s what we’re seeing in Italy now, and it’s what we could see in communities around the U.S. soon.”

Frieden stressed the importance for healthy individuals of regular hand-washing and called for the medically vulnerable to self-isolate and stay 6 feet away from almost everyone. “We’ve seen terrible examples from Italy and Wuhan [in China] of thousands of health care workers getting infected, and we know that in the U.S. now, many health care workers have become infected.”

New modeling and estimates point to a nightmare scenario in which there could be a tenfold greater need in the United States for intensive-care beds and ventilators than are available, Frieden said. “What we’re hoping is that kind of peak that outstrips the health care system [as in Italy] does not come here,” he told The Intercept. “If it did, it could come in a matter of days to weeks.”

Last week, Frieden published a worst-case — but not implausible — scenario in which he warned that Covid-19 could potentially cause 1 million deaths in the United States alone.

Whether the U.S. health care system buckles like Italy’s “really depends on how vigorously and promptly we do social distancing,” said Frieden, who was also a former commissioner of the New York City Health Department. “The models suggest that you have about a week from where there is unlinked community transmission to have everyone hunker down and stay home, stop working, [and] stop interacting socially.

Many Americans have ignored these proscriptions, packing bars in Nashville and beaches in Miami.

With the uk shutting down.

it's starting to feel like the US is standing alone on island.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 02:36 AM 03-21-2020

Summit, IBM's supercomputer, ran thousands of simulations to analyze which drug compounds might effectively stop the coronavirus from infecting host cells.

The supercomputer identified 77. It's a promising step toward creating the most effective vaccine. https://t.co/XLSf8kkJM0

— CNN (@CNN) March 21, 2020

[Reply]
Monticore 04:22 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Another little something to give hope. From two days ago

I hope having to wear masks in public doesn’t become our normal.
[Reply]
Monticore 04:28 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
https://theintercept.com/2020/03/20/...utbreak-italy/

ITALY’S CORONAVIRUS NIGHTMARE COULD HAPPEN IN U.S. WITHIN DAYS OR WEEKS, EX-CDC CHIEF SAYS

ITALY’S REPORTED CORONAVIRUS death toll grew to more than 4,000 on Friday, outpacing China, a country with more than 20 times its population. The Italian health care system is now buckling under the weight of the pandemic. Health care professionals are working day and night to keep critically ill Covid-19 patients alive, while wartime triage conditions have left doctors to decide who lives and who dies. The crematorium in the hard-hit city of Bergamo is so overwhelmed that the army was brought in to deal with the corpses.

It could be a matter of weeks — or even days — before something similar happens here, Dr. Tom Frieden, the former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told The Intercept.

“Right now, the major concern that I have, and that other public health experts have, is the risk of outstripping health care capacity,” said Frieden, who is currently a senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations. “This would be catastrophic. It’s what we’re seeing in Italy now, and it’s what we could see in communities around the U.S. soon.”

Frieden stressed the importance for healthy individuals of regular hand-washing and called for the medically vulnerable to self-isolate and stay 6 feet away from almost everyone. “We’ve seen terrible examples from Italy and Wuhan [in China] of thousands of health care workers getting infected, and we know that in the U.S. now, many health care workers have become infected.”

New modeling and estimates point to a nightmare scenario in which there could be a tenfold greater need in the United States for intensive-care beds and ventilators than are available, Frieden said. “What we’re hoping is that kind of peak that outstrips the health care system [as in Italy] does not come here,” he told The Intercept. “If it did, it could come in a matter of days to weeks.”

Last week, Frieden published a worst-case — but not implausible — scenario in which he warned that Covid-19 could potentially cause 1 million deaths in the United States alone.

Whether the U.S. health care system buckles like Italy’s “really depends on how vigorously and promptly we do social distancing,” said Frieden, who was also a former commissioner of the New York City Health Department. “The models suggest that you have about a week from where there is unlinked community transmission to have everyone hunker down and stay home, stop working, [and] stop interacting socially.

Many Americans have ignored these proscriptions, packing bars in Nashville and beaches in Miami.

With the uk shutting down.

it's starting to feel like the US is standing alone on island.
I wonder how many non covid related deaths just due to lack of available care from the pandemic.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 04:35 AM 03-21-2020
50 NYPD officers test positive for Coronavirus

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nypd-offi...s-commissioner
[Reply]
Why Not? 06:28 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I hope having to wear masks in public doesn’t become our normal.
I’d wear a full body condom, Naked Gun style, if it meant the world going back to normal.
[Reply]
Page 552 of 3903
« First < 52452502542548549550551552 55355455555656260265210521552 > Last »
Up