ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 501 of 3903
« First < 401451491497498499500501 50250350450551155160110011501 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 09:49 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The whole test test test thing works, but you actually need to test everyone. Otherwise you’re just sampling from the sick with symptoms so that’s gonna skew your numbers

Or am I way off on this ?
No that's always been the case. That's what I've been saying on here for weeks now, even before it got bad. You're never gonna control the thing if you don't test like crazy. There's no other way because there's a large group of people who aren't showing symptoms but perfectly capable of spreading it around to hundreds if not thousands of people. It's like chasing a ghost.

Of course with that said, we aren't even capable of testing a lot of the people who have symptoms.
[Reply]
O.city 09:49 PM 03-19-2020
It’s basically “if we don’t distance and take some time, we’re gonna do the flu season in a month with no vaccines”

If you condensed the flu season into a month it would overrun hospitals. So yes it makes sense.

But damn there hasn’t been much thought given to the other issues it’s gonna cause
[Reply]
Nickhead 09:50 PM 03-19-2020

[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:56 PM 03-19-2020
I wish there was a way to quarantine the elderly and sick from society while leaving all the healthy folks to do the normal day to day stuff and likely building up an immunity to this. Instead of locking everything single thing down. Would make way more sense.
[Reply]
O.city 09:56 PM 03-19-2020
If that paper I posted is true, we’re gonna have a rough month or so but then we should come out the other side of it
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:00 PM 03-19-2020

[Reply]
Fish 10:02 PM 03-19-2020
Kansas is currently in a weird tussle between their governor and their State House and Senate. Pretty sure this is related to what Kelly wants to shut down right now. This just happened this afternoon..

Kansas lawmakers soften measure limiting Kelly’s emergency powers during pandemic

Kansas lawmakers have agreed to extend Gov. Laura Kelly’s emergency powers to respond to the new coronavirus, but will retain the right to review and revoke some of her decisions.

The Republican-controlled House and Senate voted unanimously Thursday to allow Kelly to continue exercising expanded authority until at least May 1 as part of a compromise that also gives legislators greater oversight as the pandemic progresses.

The deal negotiated by senators and representatives doesn’t go as far as many senators wanted. A version of the resolution approved by the Senate on Wednesday would have prohibited Kelly from seizing ammunition or private property and stopped her from controlling the movement of people within the state.

The final version of the resolution still stops Kelly from taking ammunition. But instead of banning her from commandeering private property or limiting movement, it empowers legislative leaders to revoke any orders she issues to that effect.

House Speaker Pro Tem Blaine Finch, an Ottawa Republican, said threat of the coronavirus will not disappear quickly. Responding will require “swift action” by the governor and the Kansas Department of Emergency Management, he said, as well as compromise with the Legislature.

“For those who are concerned about granting unfettered authority, so were the founders of this nation,” Finch said. “For those who are concerned that we don’t want to tie the hands of the executive to make decisions swiftly and to take action when lives can be saved and crisis averted, they have a point as well.”

The limitations come after Republicans recoiled at some of Kelly’s executive orders this week. On Tuesday, she ordered K-12 schools closed for the rest of the academic year, though districts will attempt to educate students remotely. The same day, she temporarily banned evictions and foreclosures to keep people in their homes during the crisis.

The resolution designates the chair of the Legislative Coordinating Council, comprised of top House and Senate leaders from both parties, to decide if Kelly has issued an improper order when the full Legislature isn’t in session. Currently, House Speaker Ron Ryckman, an Olathe Republican, is the chair.

If he makes an affirmative determination, then the full council would meet within three days and could revoke the order.

Under the resolution, the State Finance Council – a panel chaired the governor and made up of legislative leaders – is allowed to authorize one, 30-day extension of Kelly’s emergency powers. After that, the Legislative Coordinating Council can extend the powers in 30-day increments.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:03 PM 03-19-2020
It’s basically “if we don’t distance and take some time, we’re gonna do the flu season in a month with no vaccines”

If you condensed the flu season into a month it would overrun hospitals. So yes it makes sense.

But damn there hasn’t been much thought given to the other issues it’s gonna cause
Do you really think they didn’t consider the ramifications of doing this? Of course they did and in real time with the info they had they though this was the lesser of two evils , I am pretty confident it wasn’t a coin flip. It sucks , it sucks for Everyone in this thread, nobody is happy and I think we are all hoping it ends as quickly as possible.

I can’t believe it has only been about a week , it feels like months already.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:10 PM 03-19-2020
We’re finding there’s so many cases of mild to no symptoms, these numbers are kinda getting hollow to me. I’m no epidemiologist or data guy but it seems this is all coming from unknown data sets.

Basically there may be a huge number of people out there who’ve been exposed, weren’t tested and are now immune. Of course you’d need serology tests to check for antibodies.

I’m not trying to downplay anything and certainly not going to claim victory on anything at this point or ever really because there so many variables. I am just remaining optimistic and hopeful. But I’ve been beating this drum for a while and hope I’m right. I just don’t buy that if this thing is as contagious as we thought that it got here in late January and decided to take a month long break before spreading and having any affect. I suspect thousands of people got it without really knowing it and of course it keeps growing and now there are probably easily 100k with it. And if that’s the case it hasn’t yet overrun the health care system in that whole time. So though it’s bad and especially so for certain groups, it more closely resembles the flue in severity than some of the other outbreaks and what it has been suggested a being.

Now if that’s not true that aren’t that many cases then it’s not nearly as contagious as once thought. Because we know it’s been here since late January. That’s just what we know. It could have been here sooner given people come here from China all the same.

These two propositions do not coexist. It’s one or the other. I do believe it’s more of the contagious option with many more cases than known though just based on how common transmission seems to be amongst close groups such as the NBA players or localized outbreaks like the nursing home or northern Italy getting hit hard very quickly, way worst than areas like Rome which had it at the same time to start.

All that said of course we should do everything we can to understand it, treat it, and hopefully get a vaccine as soon as possible. Also ensuring healthcare facilities are able and prepared as best as possible so foregoing elective surgeries, limiting visitors, etc are all great ideas. The getting rid of large gatherings and putting limits on those also seem perfectly reasonable. But the idea of forced closures, shutting whole cities down, fines, etc. seems to have gotten a bit too much too quickly. I could probably even be convinced localized areas doing this is okay very temporarily with proper communication such as don’t go buy everything at the grocery stores all at once. It’s creating a lot more problems and uncertainty though.

I think this will end up being a pretty common thing to catch in the future but I don’t expect it to have some devastating return in the winter all at once because I do think it’s already very common so as winter returns people will get it but they won’t do so all at once or in the same region all at once as it will no longer be new. This will prevent healthcare from being overrun similar to the flu. It’s common and you don’t want to get it but you are never necessarily worried about being able to get treated. And judging by the medical community reaction to this I fully expect a vaccine and effective treatments much sooner than later. So perhaps this is entirely too optimistic but it’s the feeling I get and I along with everyone else probably hope I’m right.

The only thing I don’t really know and wonder about is if a vaccine and treatments are developed, how likely is it, or is it even possible, to completely eliminate it?
[Reply]
patteeu 10:11 PM 03-19-2020
It’s not that anyone isn’t taking it seriously. It’s jumping to huge measures when you don’t have enough data.

I’m starting to really worry that we’ve went full shotgun approach when a BB gun would have worked
The paradox is that if it was obvious that we needed the full shotgun approach we probably missed the time when it could have been most effective.
[Reply]
tk13 10:17 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Do you really think they didn’t consider the ramifications of doing this? Of course they did and in real time with the info they had they though this was the lesser of two evils , I am pretty confident it wasn’t a coin flip. It sucks , it sucks for Everyone in this thread, nobody is happy and I think we are all hoping it ends as quickly as possible.

I can’t believe it has only been about a week , it feels like months already.
Yeah while trying to keep this from becoming too DC, it's pretty obvious seeing the news from the Senate today that there was some advance warning. One of the Senators under fire began dumping stocks as early as January 24th. That's two months ago.
[Reply]
BossChief 10:18 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
California had 10,000+ cases and nearly 700 deaths during the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic (which originated in the state, in San Diego)... and yet the state’s citizens were not put on virtual house arrest.
Maybe they should have been.

700 is a lot of people.
[Reply]
Fish 10:19 PM 03-19-2020
I thought this was a good interview from Fauci today. The interview robot was weird though...

[Reply]
BossChief 10:19 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Yeah while trying to keep this from becoming too DC, it's pretty obvious seeing the news from the Senate today that there was some advance warning. One of the Senators under fire now began dumping stocks as early as January 24th. That's two months ago.
Tons of major CEOs stepped down too.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 10:22 PM 03-19-2020
Yup. The amount of CEOs that have stepped down in the last 3 months is unheard of.
[Reply]
Page 501 of 3903
« First < 401451491497498499500501 50250350450551155160110011501 > Last »
Up