View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 58 of 343
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268108158 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
O.city 08:15 AM 06-20-2022
Thuney would also immediately come and ask to be paid as a LT.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:00 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
It seems like some on here think unless he is a for sure HOF LT then he has no value. **** him. Lets dump the 1st round pick we already spent. Give up 2022 and 2023 first rounders and go up into the 9-15 pick and take a gamble on a new LT. That's insane.

THIS!

We are too far down this path to quibble over $3 million. He plays out this year under the tag, its going to cost more money than some on here realize. The cap is going to explode. Everyone knows that. That's the reality.
Describes me perfectly. I wasn't sold on Brown's fit in KC before they acquired him, and I was concerned early on. The progression he showed as the season went on, combined with the things he DOES do well, put most of those concerns to rest.

He's never going to be a smooth-moving LT who glides to the edge and kills the speed rush with consistency and ease, but he also is never going to be a light-in-the-pants LT who gets bull rushed into his QBs lap.

His ability to turn DEs into one-dimensional plan guys is an UNDERRATED skillset. Yes, it keeps Mahomes from drifting back in the pocket and bailing out WIDE like he likes to do... but that's a bad habit. It also generally is going to create a lot more space to move up and throw or escape up the middle.

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
It's definitely good, but he hasn't been doing this from the start is concerning.

He'll have good contract year, but what happens during his 2nd year into the contract and whatever that follows
The system he was in until coming to KC is a factor there, too. They run a different system that is based on being big, physical maulers. The incentive wasn't there the same way... and yes, while it would have been good for him to focus on shedding some weight and gaining quickness proactively coming into his first year with the Chiefs, he's doing it NOW. Which shows he learned and is working to improve off of it.

Originally Posted by TEX:
Oh, I completely agree here. If he's adamant out being the highest paid left tackle in the league... But I'm okay with giving him a Top 3 deal, because he's shown improvement last year and he's doing what it takes this offseason to get better. But that's just my opinion.

I also get the economics of the situation, so I'm not going to be all that bent out of shape if he does become the highest played LT, until the next LT in line signs a big deal.
This pretty reasonable. I'd love to get him on a surplus market value deal, but that isn't realistic. I also am going to be patient if/when an extension and terms are announced, because I know the structure may make it look different in reality vs. what it sounds like just based on years and AAV.

Originally Posted by Coogs:
It's really not a terrible plan. It's just one that you don't agree with. That doesn't make it terrible.
It introduces a lot of risk to the function of the OL and the function of the offense. Thuney struggled with Hendrickson in the second half of that game (a guy Brown made a nonfactor in the rematch).

You're making yourself worse at 2 OL positions and hampering your depth, too.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:44 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

The system he was in until coming to KC is a factor there, too. They run a different system that is based on being big, physical maulers. The incentive wasn't there the same way... and yes, while it would have been good for him to focus on shedding some weight and gaining quickness proactively coming into his first year with the Chiefs, he's doing it NOW. Which shows he learned and is working to improve off of it.

This includes his conditioning during the draft process to avoid having a horrible combine.

That in itself is troubling. If he wants to be the best then why wasn't he training to achieve that goal.
[Reply]
Kiimo 09:55 AM 06-20-2022
I think some on here are instinctively pushing back on the idea of best paid tackle in the NFL. Of COURSE they're going to ask for it but it doesn't mean they'll get it.

I could see top three in the NFL but can also see some aspect of his contract being highest in the NFL, maybe signing bonus. But then as the details emerge it's actually a team-friendly deal like Mahomes' was.

I don't think OBJ wants to leave. I think they'll find a meeting point.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:56 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
It's wild to me that the same people that don't want to spend top dollar on OBJ want to spend all the draft picks to go up and draft a LT.
Yup. Nonsensical.
[Reply]
Kiimo 10:26 AM 06-20-2022
But I can't imagine how draft picks would change my own personal financial challenges in life like I can with 3 million dollars. Even though that shouldn't factor into this discussion at all I feel like it is with some of these posters.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:36 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Veach just proved, again, how valuable those draft picks are to the Chiefs remaining competitive when we are paying 1/2 billion to our QB. Who is worth every penny but other players myst be let go to retain money/draft picks in the pipeline.

There are only 8 players left on the team that won the SB. This will happen throughout Mahomes career. Brady won SB's with JAG WR's, good OL and defense.
Exactly this. The only thing this team has to counteract Mahomes contract is draft picks. Mahomes contract honestly is a great deal but it’s still a heavy QB contract.

You can’t lose draft picks and expect to use money to fill the gaps. Hell we just did that with Sammy Watkins, Frank Clark and Tyrann Matheiu and look at what happened? It was 2 years production at the most for any of them.

There’s a reason the Chiefs loaded up on draft picks 2 years in a row.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:38 AM 06-20-2022
I haven't followed this thread much but outside of the OP has there been any rumors about how much he is asking for etc?
[Reply]
saphojunkie 10:41 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yup. Nonsensical.
Depends on how many draft picks it takes. If we could trade brown and use all of THOSE picks on drafting a left tackle then I'd consider it.

But that's because I think Brown is close to his ceiling, and giving him a huge contract now precludes you from improving that position for four years. You know he's never going to be the best LT in the league. You're accepting limitations for a perceived floor.

If I think a draft prospect has the potential to be the best left tackle in the league and ostensibly trading brown straight up for that prospect saves $20M a year and removes the ceiling (and it must be said - the floor), then I think it's worth the gamble. maybe not going into this season, but certainly next.

I could be totally wrong, and Brown keeps 20lbs off forever which allows him to handle speed rush. That could absolutely happen, too. Which is why I'd want him to play this year on the tag and I can see what I've really got in him.

It won't happen, though. They'll pay him, he'll be adequate for winning a championship, and the focus will continue to be on fixing the DL and WR positions. I won't complain.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:57 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I haven't followed this thread much but outside of the OP has there been any rumors about how much he is asking for etc?
He wants to be the highest paid Left Tackle so 150+ Million
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:07 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
But that's because I think Brown is close to his ceiling
I'm not really sure where you get this idea to be honest, considering he just turned 26 and was never really asked to work on his pass blocking at left tackle at all in Baltimore.

also because he looks like this now:

[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:28 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
I'm not really sure where you get this idea to be honest, considering he just turned 26 and was never really asked to work on his pass blocking at left tackle at all in Baltimore.

also because he looks like this now:

I hope having AIDS doesn't hamper his pass blocking. :-)
[Reply]
Kiimo 11:30 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I hope having AIDS doesn't hamper his pass blocking. :-)

Chiefs’ OT @ZEUS__57 says his family has been impacted by Type 1 Diabetes.

Today, he had his blood drawn, enrolling him in a global TrualNet study to bring awareness and help find answers for T1D. pic.twitter.com/kWDToO9USS

— McKenzie Nelson (@McKenzieMNelson) June 20, 2022

don't you feel like a shithead now
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:31 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
This includes his conditioning during the draft process to avoid having a horrible combine.

That in itself is troubling. If he wants to be the best then why wasn't he training to achieve that goal.
Maybe because he was 21 years old, dominated in high school without focusing on those types of things, and dominated in college without focusing on those types of things?

His performance also did improve at his Pro Day. Maybe he took it more seriously and prepared better. Maybe he worked on improving some things he could control. Maybe it's just the pro day bump (though it's hard to fake vertical leaps.

Regardless, not enough for me to buy the idea he's lazy and doesn't care.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:37 AM 06-20-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:

don't you feel like a shithead now
Why would I? Has his family been impacted by AIDS?
[Reply]
Page 58 of 343
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268108158 > Last »
Up