ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
TwistedChief 07:29 PM 12-20-2018
I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC. But - it's on Amazon Prime and the second season was just released, and it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 06:05 PM 12-22-2018
I really enjoy the show, it is very well done in acting, costuming, visuals.

Tony Shaloub is a pleasure to watch. His comic timing is superb. I can't think of any role he has done that I didnt enjoy.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:39 PM 12-22-2018
I started Season 1 last night, it's pretty damned good. Her standup bits were really funny.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 11:24 PM 12-22-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I started Season 1 last night, it's pretty damned good. Her standup bits were really funny.
Mazel tov, my gentile friend.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:35 AM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC.
Has anyone told you to go **** yourself for this condescending swipe yet?

But yeah I watched the first episode, seems like it has potential. She reminds me of a girl from my grad school days.
Also were those girls bleaching their bikini areas? I thought that was only for the backdoor?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:57 PM 12-23-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Has anyone told you to go **** yourself for this condescending swipe yet?
Has anyone told you to go fuck yourself as a Broncos fan on a Chiefs message board opining on acceptable media takes?

That said, glad you liked it. It's said that season 1 distracted Von Miller enough that he decided to forego murder this prior offseason.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:20 AM 01-10-2019

[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 11:23 AM 01-10-2019
Wife and I just binged it last couple of weeks...I loved it. It has so many cool little interactions, the dialogue is great, the actors are good...I'm pissed I have to wait for season 3 now!
[Reply]
bowener 02:43 PM 01-10-2019
The dialogue and characters in this show are some of the best written and acted in the last decade. TV or film.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:37 PM 01-10-2019
Originally Posted by bowener:
The dialogue and characters in this show are some of the best written and acted in the last decade. TV or film.
. . . you hesitated. . .
[Reply]
Mecca 12:37 AM 01-11-2019
This show is really good.
[Reply]
Simply Red 01:33 AM 01-11-2019
My parents really liked it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:02 AM 01-14-2019
Just got through both seasons. It was really good.

Honestly, I can’t think of the last comedy I was really into. But for whatever reason I really dug this one. Looking back, I don’t really know why. I’m not really into 60s period pieces. Definitely not a Jew. Not into the club scene or comedy scene much. Know virtually nothing about New York and high society. Other than it is written well enough I give a shit about the characters.

S1 was really funny. Especially the stand up bits. But they also made some jokes that were legit funny in the banter.

S2 was less standup but focused harder on the characters. I obviously care about Miriam, but I thought Joel’s arc was fascinating. The Lenny Bruce stuff at the end worked well and hit home. There was also some ridiculousness that was fairly offputting. Especially the Catskills business was pretty over the top and an outing but once they cut to the business it worked OK.

All in all a really really good watch coming from a guy that was skeptical as hell.

Funniest joke?

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:19 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Just got through both seasons. It was really good.

Honestly, I can’t think of the last comedy I was really into. But for whatever reason I really dug this one. Looking back, I don’t really know why. I’m not really into 60s period pieces. Definitely not a Jew. Not into the club scene or comedy scene much. Know virtually nothing about New York and high society. Other than it is written well enough I give a shit about the characters.

S1 was really funny. Especially the stand up bits. But they also made some jokes that were legit funny in the banter.

S2 was less standup but focused harder on the characters. I obviously care about Miriam, but I thought Joel’s arc was fascinating. The Lenny Bruce stuff at the end worked well and hit home. There was also some ridiculousness that was fairly offputting. Especially the Catskills business was pretty over the top and an outing but once they cut to the business it worked OK.

All in all a really really good watch coming from a guy that was skeptical as hell.

Funniest joke?

Spoiler!
So I'll see you at temple for Yom Kippur? L'Chaim, you mensch.

In all seriousness, I think it's just brilliantly written and stylishly composed. I am Jewish but more of the self-loathing type so would typically actively avoid something with this subject matter. Yet it hit on all cylinders. Glad you enjoyed.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:50 AM 01-14-2019
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
My parents really liked it.
My grandparents loved it!
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:32 AM 01-14-2019
For those who have wrapped this show up, you now have to watch Catastrophe!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up