ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 79 of 94
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
vailpass 10:36 AM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Yeah, season 2 using LA as the backdrop was a really poor decision. LA has/had been done to death with detective stories. I hope that person was fired. Ozark copied and then did their own spin on Season 1.

I like exploring the backwoods culture of unique areas in the US. It's untapped material. It's not all "deliverance" cliches.
With Harrelson and McConaughey both EPs for this season hopefully they manage to catch some of that Season 1 vibe. Might be cool if the rumors of Rust Cohle making an appearance turn out to be true.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:37 AM 08-27-2018
In addition to the amazing lead characters written and performed perfectly, Season 1 also had what I consider the best nude scene of all time (sigh... Daddario).

That’s a big standard to live up to. I think they have the potential to really nail the first part of that equation, at least...

But Season 1 Of TD is a high point that this show, let alone others, will struggle to reach.
[Reply]
Shoes 10:42 AM 08-27-2018
God I hope season 3 provides a little redemption for True Detective- second season was an absolute train wreck.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:48 AM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by Shoes:
God I hope season 3 provides a little redemption for True Detective- second season was an absolute train wreck.
First thing I thought when it came out: Vince fucking Vaughn? Are you kidding me? That's who they follow up Rust Cohle with?

Nothing about that season worked and you only needed about an episode and a half to know that.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:50 AM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
In addition to the amazing lead characters written and performed perfectly, Season 1 also had what I consider the best nude scene of all time (sigh... Daddario).

That’s a big standard to live up to. I think they have the potential to really nail the first part of that equation, at least...

But Season 1 Of TD is a high point that this show, let alone others, will struggle to reach.
Alright alright alright...

[Reply]
Simply Red 06:46 PM 08-27-2018
saw this on IMDB and sweet!
[Reply]
sully1983 07:55 PM 08-27-2018
I'm definitely in the minority on here but I dug Season 2 of True Detective. Granted , its no where close to being as good as Season 1 BUT, there were some great moments in it never the less.

Colin Farrell as Detective Ray Velcoro was ****ing awesome. Beating the shit out of people & doing loads of cocaine in his spare time lmao.

Also Rachel McAdams was good too imo. Had no issues with Vince Vaughn but I did have some issues with Woodrugh's (Taylor Kitsch's character) gay subplot. It felt so forced. The writer had waaaaay too many subplots going on for an 8 episode show.

Looking forward to Season 3 !
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:01 PM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by sully1983:
I'm definitely in the minority on here but I dug Season 2 of True Detective. Granted , its no where close to being as good as Season 1 BUT, there were some great moments in it never the less.

Colin Farrell as Detective Ray Velcoro was ****ing awesome. Beating the shit out of people & doing loads of cocaine in his spare time lmao.

Also Rachel McAdams was good too imo. Had no issues with Vince Vaughn but I did have some issues with Woodrugh's (Taylor Kitsch's character) gay subplot. It felt so forced. The writer had waaaaay too many subplots going on for an 8 episode show.

I didn't think it was monumental, but if it came out as its own thing, it would be much better regarded.

It was a little too much of its own mood and rhythms to compare favorably to Season 1.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:03 PM 08-27-2018
Season 2 gets a lot of hate. I don't think it's totally warranted but it's hard to argue it needed to have so many subplots.

They should have used Woodrugh as a misdirect and complete his arc in the first two episodes have him killed off to allow focus more on Bezerides' connection to sex abuse by the powerful and how it played into the Vinci crime organization.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:15 PM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Season 2 gets a lot of hate. I don't think it's totally warranted but it's hard to argue it needed to have so many subplots.

They should have used Woodrugh as a misdirect and complete his arc in the first two episodes have him killed off to allow focus more on Bezerides' connection to sex abuse by the powerful and how it played into the Vinci crime organization.
Some argue that LA corruption was played out once Chinatown set the standard, then LA Confidential set it again. I found it interesting to see a narrative that moved the corruption up into a more modern setting, with more modern interests.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:32 PM 08-27-2018
If S2 would have come before S1 it wouldn’t get much hate. But since it had to follow, it’s fucked.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:14 PM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Some argue that LA corruption was played out once Chinatown set the standard, then LA Confidential set it again. I found it interesting to see a narrative that moved the corruption up into a more modern setting, with more modern interests.
Yeah you have to go somewhere with the corruption story. Season 2 was so disjointed it was hard to see the point.

The only points that made me go "hmm" was the fact the main trigger point of the story was the Rodney King riots which caused ripple effects that got Frank, Velcoro and Woodrugh killed and Bezerides effectively exiled.

Beyond that it just seemed to me like a series of Aespo Fables that were meant to make a modern US audience look at itself in a mirror through vignettes. Velcoro being pissed off with life because he was pissed about raising a rapist's child and being cinched up by a savvy upstart mafioso. Semyon, the philosophizing crime boss chasing the American dream through leveraging lower-level illicit acts into being a land mogul, seems to symbolize that there probably isn't a lot of difference between those in history who didn't have his origins but are still no more benign nor any more ethical ethical than Frank.

Then you have Bezerides and Woodrugh whose fables seem a bit more obvious.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:01 PM 08-28-2018
Originally Posted by sully1983:

Godfather III wants to talk to you. Says he can make you an offer everyone but you can't refuse.
[Reply]
sully1983 02:14 PM 08-28-2018
Seriously though, the more I think of it , Farrell was just aces as the lead detective in season 2 . . Farrell kicking the shit out of Rick Springfield , using brass knuckles on Aspen's dad lol, going on coke binges , hanging out with his fat ginger kid , banging McAdams' character. Farrell ruled on that show.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 04:23 PM 11-02-2018

[Reply]
Page 79 of 94
« First < 29697576777879 8081828389 > Last »
Up