ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Frig ice maker
Holladay 12:29 AM 12-02-2020
The frig is not making ice. Over Thanksgiving, my Mom used a lot of ice for tea. I think she used what was left in the hopper. So I don't know how long it hasn't worked.

I saw a notification, on the frig, that the water filter needed to be changed a week before. It has happened before and figured I had a week to replace it.

So, after Thanksgiving, I changed the filter and no ice. I forgot to bleed the system of air in the system. I ran through 2+ gallons on the water supply side, which did have air, and thought the problem solved but still no ice. I thought that the line was possibly frozen, so cut the power and left the doors open for half a day.

The water dispenser still works ie. ran 2+ gallons to get the air out, but the ice maker doesn't fill up with water to make ice.

I am clueless. I get water to fill a glass, but no water into the ice maker???

Thoughts.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:54 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by Eureka:
These old appliances are contributing to your HIGH electric bill. It's a trade off. Who's to say how much but over time that adds up eventually.
They're all Energy Star appliances and I received rebates from the state of California for every appliance in my home.

If you're suggesting that I drop $15k every few years on a refrigerator, washer, trash compactor and dishwasher so that my power bill is lowered by a few dollars a month, well, that ain't happening.

I have a gas dryer and wouldn't even think of going electric.
[Reply]
Holladay 07:15 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by :
so many times opening the door the filter light will come on. I used to have new fridges in the showroom that were never hooked up to water have the replace filter message come on. It's a scam.
Interesting...next time I will just tell frig that I replaced the filter. I have done that on my de-humidifier in my basement. Our well water is clean as a whistle.

"How does it know"? Door opening me thinks.

Originally Posted by :
Samsung?
I have seen the posts on Samsung...I am sure it is not, thinking LG. I will check tonight.
[Reply]
eDave 07:16 PM 12-02-2020
I've been buying bags at the Circle K for decades. No ice issues here.

#Desert
[Reply]
Holladay 07:18 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by :
I have a gas dryer and wouldn't even think of going electric.
I wish I would have thought about that when we built on the house extension. It would have been fairly easy then. Not now:-)

Originally Posted by :
Understand. I did the same thing at the office from Wal-mart. Pain in the ass when you can just press a button on the frig though vs the ice melting in the car on side stops towards home.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:19 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
:-) We just bought all new Samsung appliances for our kitchen.
We did last year as well.

Replaced icemaker already.

:-)
[Reply]
mlyonsd 07:23 PM 12-02-2020
I finally had to replace the icemaker in our 24 year old GE this year. One of the cube slots in the tray finally wore out and a small hole caused water to drip out when it was being filled. Easy replacement.

I've looked at the newer fridges but none of them have the ice capacity of my old GE. It easily holds a 10 pound bag of ice. Are there any new models out there that have a large capacity? I haven't found any.
[Reply]
ptlyon 08:07 PM 12-02-2020
And funny, as per last posts, got a deal in the mail from GE to order replacement filters. :-)
[Reply]
eDave 08:11 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by Holladay:

Understand. I did the same thing at the office from Wal-mart. Pain in the ass when you can just press a button on the frig though vs the ice melting in the car on side stops towards home.
A bit I suppose. I live in AZ and don't get melt. A fraction I suppose but I just drop the bag on the floor a couple of times after it's been in the freezer. Breaks back out nicely and it's the size I like. Can't do the smiley face ice cubes, though I do love me some crushed ice. In that event I just hold my hand over the glass and shake it to kinda crush the ice.

Ice. Who invented that shit?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:20 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
We did last year as well.

Replaced icemaker already.

:-)
My parents had two Samsung refridgerator doors replaced in the first 3 months, then the icemaker took a dump in month 5.

They returned it and purchased an LG and haven't had so much as a peep from it for the past 2 years.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:21 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
And funny, as per last posts, got a deal in the mail from GE to order replacement filters. :-)
I have a GE fridge from 2003 and order the replacement filters on Amazon.

They're generally less than $20 dollars each and I replace them every six months.

I've had good luck with some of the non-GE brands as well.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:23 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:

#Desert
We use about 5 pounds of ice per day, so I'd spend more than $850 dollars a year on ice bags. Maybe more.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:24 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
My parents had two Samsung refridgerator doors replaced in the first 3 months, then the icemaker took a dump in month 5.

They returned it and purchased an LG and haven't had so much as a peep from it for the past 2 years.
I usually buy based on quality and value, but I just liked the look of the black stainless steel Samsung appliances way more than the other brands.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:29 PM 12-02-2020
I usually buy based on quality and value, but I just liked the look of the black stainless steel Samsung appliances way more than the other brands.
I'm getting ready to drop $100k on home renovations, including the kitchen, and I'll be replacing the 2003 GE fridge with another, mainly due to the fact that I can still purchase replacement parts 17 years later.

The 2003 fridge will go into our new Laundry Room/Pantry that we're having built out, which will make life so much easier. We'll have at least 60 cubic feet of refrigeration and freezer on the same floor, which will cut my trips to Costco and Ralphs in half each month.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:44 PM 12-02-2020
This. Shit, it may not work great for long but it damn sure is pretty.
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:38 PM 12-02-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I've had the opposite experience with GE.

My oven/stove top, microwave, trash compactor and dishwasher are all still working perfectly after more than 17 years of use, while the fridge has needed about $225 dollars in parts replacements in the past calendar year, all of which I did myself.

On the other hand, everyone I know that's had a Samsung refrigerator has had them die within 3 months or less, which is the main reason why I chose to repair my fridge instead of dropping $3k or more on something that won't last.

FYI, I purchased a Samsung Washer & Dryer in late 2012, which cost me more than $2k from Best Buy. The dryer stopped working last December and even though the unit was only 7 years old, Samsung discontinued the Control Board in 2017, so it was completely worthless and unable to be repaired.

I wish you luck with your Samsung appliances but I will never purchase anything made by Samsung, ever again.
Their higher end stuff like the Profile Series might be more reliable, but after 10 years in apt maintenance I can say without question their mainstream consumer appliances are far and away the most problematic. But as you touched on, they are very, very good as far as parts availability so I have to give them credit for that.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up