« First < 40808687888990 91929394100140190590 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:17 PM 10-30-2017
You marijuana investors may find this news interesting:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/30/inve...bis/index.html

The company that makes Corona beer is buying a Canadian marijuana seller with plans to develop a marijuana drink.

I've got some stock in Constellation, and it's done very well for me, by the way. It even pays a dividend.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:19 PM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
You marijuana investors may find this news interesting:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/30/inve...bis/index.html

The company that makes Corona beer is buying a Canadian marijuana seller with plans to develop a marijuana drink.

I've got some stock in Constellation, and it's done very well for me, by the way. It even pays a dividend.
Also to note, they are buying into Canopy Growth, the company I touted on here a few months ago that is up 55% in 8 weeks for me.

Nice post, Rainmain. Thanks.
[Reply]
SAGA45 02:07 PM 10-30-2017
I need help here. Want to grow my my money. I'm getting a late start at age 41 but better late than never. I don't know much at all about investing. Can somebody offer some advice for a good starting strategy?
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:13 PM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
I need help here. Want to grow my my money. I'm getting a late start at age 41 but better late than never. I don't know much at all about investing. Can somebody offer some advice for a good starting strategy?
Everyone will tell you to go with a mutual fund or index fund. I'm the voice in the wind who disagrees and thinks you get better returns from stocks, and particularly dividend-paying stocks.
[Reply]
RockChalk 02:28 PM 10-30-2017
Out of curiosity, for those of you who invest on your own (don't use a broker), what platform do you use...E*Trade? Ally?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:29 PM 10-30-2017
Go with mutual funds.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:57 PM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by Hog Farmer:
Go with mutual funds.

Specifically index funds. Low fees are your friend, especially over a long investment horizon.
[Reply]
Amnorix 02:58 PM 10-30-2017
Everyone will tell you to go with a mutual fund or index fund. I'm the voice in the wind who disagrees and thinks you get better returns from stocks, and particularly dividend-paying stocks.

Depends on the amount of effort he is willing/able to invest. For most folks, I think mutual funds are the better approach.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:53 PM 10-30-2017
First question is do you participate in any employee sponsored retirement plans such as a 401k?
[Reply]
lewdog 03:56 PM 10-30-2017
Most studies today lean heavily against this idea, as you know. The common man simply doesn't have the discipline, knowledge and in many cases time to fully manage investing in individual companies and beat mutual/index funds across time.

Care to share your individual returns on your investments as a whole? Are your employee sponsored retirement plans behind your gains you've made in the market yourself?
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:40 PM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Most studies today lean heavily against this idea, as you know. The common man simply doesn't have the discipline, knowledge and in many cases time to fully manage investing in individual companies and beat mutual/index funds across time.

Care to share your individual returns on your investments as a whole? Are your employee sponsored retirement plans behind your gains you've made in the market yourself?
First off, I'm not sure how these brokerages calculate returns, and I don't really trust how they do it. In my case, I'm particularly unsure how they're counting dividend reinvestment. They classify my returns on individual stocks as if I'm contributing the money from dividend reinvestment, when I'm not. Those are actually returns, not costs. And I think they don't count imbedded fees in mutual funds, which overstates those returns. But I'll just report what they say.

Here's an example in one of my accounts. I decided in that account long ago that I would do what I'm told and go with mutual funds. I did it all the way you were supposed to - I picked a small set of diverse funds, all highly rated, and ... bleah. I was constantly trailing the market. So about three years ago I started chucking the mutual funds out the door and buying my own stocks. Here are my annual returns versus the S&P 500.

5-year return: Underperformed by 3.23% per year (mutual funds suck)
3-year return: Overperformed by 0.10%. As soon as I ditched the mutual funds I quickly caught up.
1-year return: Underperformed by 0.19%. Running about equal now but the S&P was up 23 percent so the difference is noise.

That account's not killing it, but look at the five-year return. My returns with mutual funds were pathetic, and as soon as I got out I started making up ground. Now I'm tracking the S&P's returns.

A second account is newer, so I've only got three years of data. I would expect this one to underperform a bit because I put in a large cash infusion to start it, and have bought very slowly. Three years later I'm still at over 20 percent cash. But here's where I'm at versus the S&P just to be consistent.

3-year return: Overperformed by 0.62% per year.
1-year return: Underperforming by 1.79%. Not having a great year this year, but that's cooked into the three year return above.

I'm winning that battle despite having a cash position that's averaged over 20%.

The third account will only give me calendar year comparisons for last year and this YTD.

2016: Overperformed by 3.82% (I killed the S&P)
2017: Underperforming by 1.96%. (I lost 1.4 percent against the S&P this month for some reason, which is most of that.)

I'm winning again.

Granted, this is just against the S&P. Nasdaq is smokin' this year, and I'm underrepresented in Nasdaq.

In the long run, I've got enough diversification that I'd rather buy stocks once for a $5 purchase fee, and then not pay fees every year so some mutual fund manager can go gambling (or charge me to rebalance an index fund). There's some rebalancing to be done occasionally and I like to play games by buying and selling, but the bottom line is that I used to hold mutual funds and I consistently underperformed the market by a fair margin. Now I hold stocks and I don't.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:49 PM 10-30-2017
There are a couple of funds I like that outperform index funds regularly.

Fidelity OTC Portfolio
Fidelity Blue Chip Growth

I have those along with an SP500 fund, Midcap fund and some Eurp and Pac Basin funds..

but in general...index funds and time in the market along with the correct asset allocation is how you make your money over the long haul
[Reply]
DaFace 05:16 PM 10-30-2017
Here's a good road map. It's not THE right answer, but it's A good answer. Ask as you have questions.

[Reply]
DaFace 05:20 PM 10-30-2017
In the long run, I've got enough diversification that I'd rather buy stocks once for a $5 purchase fee, and then not pay fees every year so some mutual fund manager can go gambling (or charge me to rebalance an index fund). There's some rebalancing to be done occasionally and I like to play games by buying and selling, but the bottom line is that I used to hold mutual funds and I consistently underperformed the market by a fair margin. Now I hold stocks and I don't.
Obviously everyone should do what works for them, but just for the record, I currently hold three index mutual funds. It costs me nothing to buy and sell them any time I want, and the expense ratios are 0.06%, 0.04%, and 0.03%.

I wholeheartedly agree that actively-managed mutual funds are a ripoff, but index funds are practically free.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:02 AM 10-31-2017
First off, I'm not sure how these brokerages calculate returns, and I don't really trust how they do it. In my case, I'm particularly unsure how they're counting dividend reinvestment. They classify my returns on individual stocks as if I'm contributing the money from dividend reinvestment, when I'm not. Those are actually returns, not costs. And I think they don't count imbedded fees in mutual funds, which overstates those returns. But I'll just report what they say.

Here's an example in one of my accounts. I decided in that account long ago that I would do what I'm told and go with mutual funds. I did it all the way you were supposed to - I picked a small set of diverse funds, all highly rated, and ... bleah. I was constantly trailing the market. So about three years ago I started chucking the mutual funds out the door and buying my own stocks. Here are my annual returns versus the S&P 500.

5-year return: Underperformed by 3.23% per year (mutual funds suck)
3-year return: Overperformed by 0.10%. As soon as I ditched the mutual funds I quickly caught up.
1-year return: Underperformed by 0.19%. Running about equal now but the S&P was up 23 percent so the difference is noise.

That account's not killing it, but look at the five-year return. My returns with mutual funds were pathetic, and as soon as I got out I started making up ground. Now I'm tracking the S&P's returns.

A second account is newer, so I've only got three years of data. I would expect this one to underperform a bit because I put in a large cash infusion to start it, and have bought very slowly. Three years later I'm still at over 20 percent cash. But here's where I'm at versus the S&P just to be consistent.

3-year return: Overperformed by 0.62% per year.
1-year return: Underperforming by 1.79%. Not having a great year this year, but that's cooked into the three year return above.

I'm winning that battle despite having a cash position that's averaged over 20%.

The third account will only give me calendar year comparisons for last year and this YTD.

2016: Overperformed by 3.82% (I killed the S&P)
2017: Underperforming by 1.96%. (I lost 1.4 percent against the S&P this month for some reason, which is most of that.)

I'm winning again.

Granted, this is just against the S&P. Nasdaq is smokin' this year, and I'm underrepresented in Nasdaq.

Thanks for doing that. Good info and interesting. It will be very interesting to see how your returns hold up in a down market and if your individual stock preference tends to lose more than something like a mutual fund or index.

Care to discuss good dividend paying stocks that you own? I feel myself that I could use some dividend paying individual stocks, either for passive income in the future or just continued dividend reinvestment.
[Reply]
Page 90 of 934
« First < 40808687888990 91929394100140190590 > Last »
Up