ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 256 of 3903
« First < 156206246252253254255256 2572582592602663063567561256 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 06:05 PM 03-14-2020
https://seekingalpha.com/news/355178...s-andy-slavitt
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:05 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Absolutely. I wasn't exactly sure what you were getting at with your initial post. This is kind of along the lines as my response to Bwillie a while back, there definitely has to be a balance. It's somewhere in between freaking out and shutting down everything and doing nothing. I feel bad for people working in retail who are in contact with the general public every day, they're out there on the front lines. But we can't reasonably shut down every business out there. On a private business level, I think things have been handled pretty reasonably. I'm not aware of anything that I'd consider over the top.
I do not want it to be misunderstood, though I know I already am and will continue to be even with more in depth explanations (it’s the 49ers emotional support dog all over again - who has probably been putting in some over time since February).

Reasonable precautions like travel bans from host and highly affected nations is prudent. Shutting down the country, which we haven’t done but are eeking towards, is a whole new level of danger. The fact that nobody can find fucking toilet paper on the shelves is a pretty good indicator that, as a whole, we are overreacting.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 06:06 PM 03-14-2020
Reading through this makes me think some of you might have been rooting for Thanos.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:12 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
It's much easier to makes those decisions on a personal level than to make them for a nation
This is not an attempt to go political, this purely drawing a contrast -

It was easy enough for Obama to wait for a thousand deaths to declare a national emergency and the media not react as they are now over the swine flu.

All I am saying is that we faced this situations before, handled differently than we are currently and cane out of it with out much of a fuss.
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 06:13 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
I do not want it to be misunderstood, though I know I already am and will continue to be even with more in depth explanations (it’s the 49ers emotional support dog all over again - who has probably been putting in some over time since February).

Reasonable precautions like travel bans from host and highly affected nations is prudent. Shutting down the country, which we haven’t done but are eeking towards, is a whole new level of danger. The fact that nobody can find ****ing toilet paper on the shelves is a pretty good indicator that, as a whole, we are overreacting.
Current growth suggests we'll be hitting 5k new cases and 100 + deaths a day within 10 days. Right now our cases are doubling every 2 days, and we've gone from 4 deaths to 58 in 3 days.

In answer to your post about SARS, the characteristics of Covid-19 and SARS are different and merit a different response. SARS was not contiguous while asymptomatic, and the R0 was almost half of Covid-19
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:14 PM 03-14-2020

Reasonable precautions like travel bans from host and highly affected nations is prudent. Shutting down the country, which we haven’t done but are eeking towards, is a whole new level of danger. The fact that nobody can find fucking toilet paper on the shelves is a pretty good indicator that, as a whole, we are overreacting.
That's people acting on a personal level. We can't control that. Hell we can't even explain it.
[Reply]
SupDock 06:15 PM 03-14-2020

It was easy enough for Obama to wait for a thousand deaths to declare a national emergency and the media not react as they are now over the swine flu.

All I am saying is that we faced this situations before, handled differently than we are currently and cane out of it with out much of a fuss.
This isn't H1N1
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:17 PM 03-14-2020
That's people acting on a personal level. We can't control that. Hell we can't even explain it.
Oh, I can explain it: Fear.

We won't know if it's rational or irrational until the crisis is over.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:17 PM 03-14-2020
I'm not even sure who the experts are, or if they're even being truthful. So I'm approaching this by doing what I feel is necessary on a personal level based on what information I feel is accurate, which isn't much. Anything else is beyond my control and isn't really worth spending any amount of time worrying about.
And that is all we can do, apply our critical thinking to the situation and accordingly make adjustments based upon our conclusions.

I do not fault people taking some basic precautions. I do fear the outcome of a nation overreacting.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:19 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Yeah, Joe Rogan threw out the idea that maybe saunas would kill the virus. And others think 80 degree water will do the trick. A lot of people have ideas, but very few of those people really have the base of knowledge/data they would need to have much to contribute.
I hope nobody is listening to Joe Rogan. That would be really stupid of them.
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:20 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Oh, I can explain it: Fear.

We won't know if it's rational or irrational until the crisis is over.
I can buy that when it comes to food or bottled water or beer as they are necessary for survival. Toilet paper isn't.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 03-14-2020, 06:21 PM
This message has been deleted by Raiderhater.
Chiefspants 06:23 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I hope nobody is listening to Joe Rogan. That would be really stupid of them.
Rogan brought that theory up in an interview with an infectious disease expert, who wished that theory as well as the vitamin drip theory. Joe essentially brought up every rumor about the virus and the expert tore them apart as professionally as possible.
[Reply]
Bugeater 06:24 PM 03-14-2020
And that is all we can do, apply our critical thinking to the situation and accordingly make adjustments based upon our conclusions.

I do not fault people taking some basic precautions. I do fear the outcome of a nation overreacting.
That's fair and I agree. But with so many unknowns it's hard to say for sure what is and isn't an overreaction. Unfortunately we won't know until it's over with.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:25 PM 03-14-2020
I can buy that when it comes to food or bottled water or beer as they are necessary for survival. Toilet paper isn't.
Beer

:-)

:-)
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:25 PM 03-14-2020

I know this is political, but get your facts right, dude. Obama declared a public health emergency when there were only 20 cases (and no deaths) in the country. The Facebook share that you’re likely referencing makes it sound as if the Obama admin did nothing until a national emergency was declared.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...health-emerge/

The finger pointing that’s happening here (especially about past presidents or to argue that this is somehow an “overreaction”) has no place for a virus that is killing people today.

Alright - that’s all I got. Understand if it gets me banned.
[Reply]
Page 256 of 3903
« First < 156206246252253254255256 2572582592602663063567561256 > Last »
Up