ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 48
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The MLB lockout thread
Deberg_1990 07:06 AM 12-02-2021
Discussssss

To our Fans:

I first want to thank you for your continued support of the great game of baseball. This past season, we were reminded of how the national pastime can bring us together and restore our hope despite the difficult challenges of a global pandemic. As we began to emerge from one of the darkest periods in our history, our ballparks were filled with fans; the games were filled with excitement; and millions of families felt the joy of watching baseball together.

That is why I am so disappointed about the situation in which our game finds itself today. Despite the league’s best efforts to make a deal with the Players Association, we were unable to extend our 26 year-long history of labor peace and come to an agreement with the MLBPA before the current CBA expired. Therefore, we have been forced to commence a lockout of Major League players, effective at 12:01am ET on December 2.

I want to explain to you how we got here and why we have to take this action today. Simply put, we believe that an offseason lockout is the best mechanism to protect the 2022 season. We hope that the lockout will jumpstart the negotiations and get us to an agreement that will allow the season to start on time. This defensive lockout was necessary because the Players Association’s vision for Major League Baseball would threaten the ability of most teams to be competitive. It’s simply not a viable option. From the beginning, the MLBPA has been unwilling to move from their starting position, compromise, or collaborate on solutions.

When we began negotiations over a new agreement, the Players Association already had a contract that they wouldn’t trade for any other in sports. Baseball’s players have no salary cap and are not subjected to a maximum length or dollar amount on contracts. In fact, only MLB has guaranteed contracts that run 10 or more years, and in excess of $300 million. We have not proposed anything that would change these fundamentals. While we have heard repeatedly that free agency is “broken” – in the month of November $1.7 billion was committed to free agents, smashing the prior record by nearly 4x. By the end of the offseason, Clubs will have committed more money to players than in any offseason in MLB history.

We worked hard to find compromise while making the system even better for players, by addressing concerns raised by the Players Association. We offered to establish a minimum payroll for all clubs to meet for the first time in baseball history; to allow the majority of players to reach free agency earlier through an age-based system that would eliminate any claims of service time manipulation; and to increase compensation for all young players, including increases in the minimum salary. When negotiations lacked momentum, we tried to create some by offering to accept the universal Designated Hitter, to create a new draft system using a lottery similar to other leagues, and to increase the Competitive Balance Tax threshold that affects only a small number of teams.

We have had challenges before with respect to making labor agreements and have overcome those challenges every single time during my tenure. Regrettably, it appears the Players Association came to the bargaining table with a strategy of confrontation over compromise. They never wavered from collectively the most extreme set of proposals in their history, including significant cuts to the revenue-sharing system, a weakening of the competitive balance tax, and shortening the period of time that players play for their teams. All of these changes would make our game less competitive, not more.

To be clear: this hard but important step does not necessarily mean games will be cancelled. In fact, we are taking this step now because it accelerates the urgency for an agreement with as much runway as possible to avoid doing damage to the 2022 season. Delaying this process further would only put Spring Training, Opening Day, and the rest of the season further at risk – and we cannot allow an expired agreement to again cause an in-season strike and a missed World Series, like we experienced in 1994. We all owe you, our fans, better than that.

Today is a difficult day for baseball, but as I have said all year, there is a path to a fair agreement, and we will find it. I do not doubt the League and the Players share a fundamental appreciation for this game and a commitment to its fans. I remain optimistic that both sides will seize the opportunity to work together to grow, protect, and strengthen the game we love. MLB is ready to work around the clock to meet that goal. I urge the Players Association to join us at the table.
Manfred

Read a letter from the Commissioner: https://t.co/P4gRGSlfsu pic.twitter.com/zI40uGLTni

— MLB (@MLB) December 2, 2021

Statement from the Major League Baseball Players Association: pic.twitter.com/34uIGf762W

— MLBPA Communications (@MLBPA_News) December 2, 2021

[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:38 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
That’s a super small minority of people that watch regular season baseball games on TV.

WTF are YOU talking about with “tons of people”?

Matlock reruns get higher TV ratings than regular season baseball games.
Baseball is the highest rated tv primetime program in the local markets.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:44 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
I used to be a fan, but I'm tired of seeing big market teams in the WS every yar. Sure enough, teams like the 2014-5 Royals strike gold every blue moon, but LA, Atlanta, and the Yankees seem to get more than their fair share due to their payrolls. Until MLB establishes revenue sharing and a salary cap, it's just going to continue. Couple that with the average KC fan not being able to see a single game of the Royals without going to the ballpark or paying an arm and a leg for cable extra chanels --I say screw that.
This 100%. Big market pundits all over twitter right now want to shit in our mouths and call it a sundae. Small market fans should shut up and be happy for whatever scraps the big markets give us.

If George Brett was a Royal today we'd never be able to keep him past his rookie deal. If the NFL was run like MLB, the Chiefs would never be able to keep Mahomes. It absolutely sucks for the fans when this happens, and would seriously drop interest in the NFL in smaller markets.

Baseball needs more revenue sharing, a cap, and the floor that goes along with it to keep cheap owners like David Glass, and Nutting in Pittsburgh from gaming the system.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 02:44 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Baseball is the highest rated tv primetime program in the local markets.
That’s factually incorrect… not even close.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:44 PM 12-02-2021
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ld-series.html
Originally Posted by :
The Pros and Cons of Local Broadcasting
Fox, ESPN, CBS and NBC own the national broadcasting rights for N.F.L. games, giving wide exposure to the league’s best teams and stars. Baseball’s broadcasting model is much different. Individual teams sell exclusive rights for nearly all of their games to either regional branches of these national networks or to local stations.

Although baseball’s national TV ratings lag far behind those of other top sports, these local broadcasts are very popular.

According to Nielsen ratings:

In 2019, 12 of the 29 United States-based major league teams were the most popular prime-time broadcast in their market.

An additional seven teams ranked in the top three in prime time.

On cable, 24 major league teams ranked first in their market in prime time.

M.L.B. ranked first over all on cable in every major league market in the United States except Miami.

Again, baseball is relying on its high volume of games (one nearly every day for six months). But the fact remains that people spend many more hours watching their home team than other prime-time shows.

This works well for the regional networks — many of which are owned, at least in part, by the teams themselves.

The local popularity of baseball partially explains the poor World Series ratings in recent years. After following their home team for 162 games, fans may be unlikely to sit through a series between two teams they have rarely seen play and with 50 players whose names they may barely recognize. Instead, they’ll wait until next season, and tune back in to their local station.

[Reply]
suzzer99 02:47 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Would you believe if I told you that MLB has the most parity of any of the major sports? Certainly more than the NFL and NBA
Parity if you look at the World Series winners only - because the playoffs are a crap shoot and small market teams have gotten lucky.

Look at who makes the playoffs every year. Dodgers, Yanks and Red Sox basically guaranteed.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:50 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
They appear to have dropped the $180 million payroll minimum (though it seems odd that the MLBPA would have a problem with it; it's a re-allocation of money - that will end up being plowed into the floor and require those teams rolling $50 million payrolls to get more active in FA -- that should be HUGE for 'middle class' free agents).
Great. The one thing that would make the league undoubtedly better for small market fans, neither the players nor the owners want.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:52 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
As a Pirates fan, baseball is pretty much unwatchable. If they want to play dumb over billions of dollars, so be it. I will find other ways to use my time.

All parties are awful in this spat but the MLBPA is easily the worst union in sports. They don't understand the concept of compromise.
No team would benefit more from a salary floor than the Pirates.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 02:53 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Great. The one thing that would make the league undoubtedly better for small market fans, neither the players nor the owners want.
A bunch of shitty players getting big contracts just to fill salary cap isn't great either.
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 02:54 PM 12-02-2021
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ld-series.html
And fast forward to 2021…

MLB Seeing Local TV Households Decline Dramatically Compared With Last Full Season
[Reply]
DJJasonp 02:55 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
Soccer is the best sport in the world. d
Ummm.......I love soccer, but no.

Flops that make vlade divac look like Shaq, shady refs, arbitrary fouls/cards.....only one person in the stadium knows when the game will end........

Soccer is great.....but it's not the best.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:55 PM 12-02-2021
A bunch of shitty players getting big contracts just to fill salary cap isn't great either.
The salary cap/floor works fine in the NFL. Let's go with that.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:00 PM 12-02-2021
The salary cap/floor works fine in the NFL. Let's go with that.
You mean the NFL where only 6 franchises have made the Super Bowl from the AFC since 2003?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:06 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by Mama Hip Rockets:
Tons of people on this board watch the Royals pretty much every day. I'd assume that's true of the Cardinals as well. WTF are you talking about?
In his defense, I make it a point to watch a Chiefs game.

I watch the Cardinals while I'm doing other things. I don't sit down for first pitch and watch all 9 innings. And there aren't a hell of a of baseball fans more attuned to the game than I am.

But to me, that's part of the charm. 162 games with no clock and a leisurely pace. It isn't appointment television and doesn't need to be. It's filler - empty calories. If football is essentially raw protein, baseball is my loaded baked potato.

And I'm just fine with that. I don't need Michael Bay to be the next commissioner in order to enjoy the sport for what it is (and what it is not).
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 03:30 PM 12-02-2021
No team would benefit more from a salary floor than the Pirates.
Bob Nutting is the worst owner in sports.
[Reply]
Boxer_Chief 03:32 PM 12-02-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
And fast forward to 2021…

MLB Seeing Local TV Households Decline Dramatically Compared With Last Full Season
I could be wrong but I think that has mostly to do with the TV deal. Bally sports isn’t on any TV or streaming services hardly at all so this numbers are down. I would watch the royals every night before but couldn’t this year and I know many other teams have the same contract with Bally Sports. The Royals even in the bad years were smashing TV viewing in the area.

Edit - it mentions Bally but from what I’ve seen online that’s the biggest compliant from fans.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 48
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up