ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Fix the defense (upcoming offseason version).
Direckshun 10:05 AM 10-05-2021
In the other thread, I asked that you make in-season adjustments to this current roster.

What changes are you willing to make this coming offseason to boost the defense, however?

This can include free agents, cutting our own players, letting our own free agents walk, and draft picks.
[Reply]
O.city 08:01 AM 11-04-2021
Let Nnadi go elsewhere. Enough of these single outcome guys. Gotta start churning athletes up there that can potentially rush the passer and play the run.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:06 AM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Probably aren't gonna find another Hill. He's a hall of fame type dude.

But yeah, keep adding talent there.
no, obviously not, but you need to restock the cupboard.

You could make an argument that two very good WR's might be more valuable than one elite Tyreek Hill.

I would not Trade Hill for anything, I'm just saying that we need to get some more plus talent in that room, and cost/benefit-wise, we should try to draft it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:17 AM 11-04-2021
Let Nnadi go elsewhere. Enough of these single outcome guys. Gotta start churning athletes up there that can potentially rush the passer and play the run.
Reed's also a FA. As is Ingram and Okafor. Clark's on the way out. So your guys under contract on the DL next year are Jones, Wharton, Danna, Kaindoh, Saunders and....uh...I think that's it.

That's. It.

There are sooooo maaaaany neeeeeeds on that DL that if you can bring back a guy like Nnadi on the veterans minimum benefit, you do it. He's a solid player. He's a guy who can help and he'd come cheap.

Would I like to find Aaron Donald in the middle? Sure - not gonna happen. How do you intend to find an all-purpose DT that will start as a rookie? Let's remember that a guy like Javon Hargrave, who is by no means a superstar, got a 3/$40 million deal as a FA.

You either draft these guys or you pay through the nose for them. And typically you either draft them really high or you wait a couple years for them to develop.

You don't turn your nose up at a solid player like Nnadi if you can get him under the VSB and keep him on a nominal cap hit.
[Reply]
O.city 08:22 AM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Reed's also a FA. As is Ingram and Okafor. Clark's on the way out. So your guys under contract on the DL next year are Jones, Wharton, Danna, Kaindoh, Saunders and....uh...I think that's it.

That's. It.

There are sooooo maaaaany neeeeeeds on that DL that if you can bring back a guy like Nnadi on the veterans minimum benefit, you do it. He's a solid player. He's a guy who can help and he'd come cheap.

Would I like to find Aaron Donald in the middle? Sure - not gonna happen. How do you intend to find an all-purpose DT that will start as a rookie? Let's remember that a guy like Javon Hargrave, who is by no means a superstar, got a 3/$40 million deal as a FA.

You either draft these guys or you pay through the nose for them. And typically you either draft them really high or you wait a couple years for them to develop.

You don't turn your nose up at a solid player like Nnadi if you can get him under the VSB and keep him on a nominal cap hit.
If he'll sign that, sure.

But I doubt he will.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:25 AM 11-04-2021
If he'll sign that, sure.

But I doubt he will.
I just don't see a huge market developing for a 2-down player from a shitty defense who was a 2nd day pick.

Now he might be able to get a 3 year deal (realistically a 2-year deal) and that may be enough for him to go elsewhere because the VSB is exclusive to 1-year deals. If that's the case, so be it. Dumpster dive for a fat guy who makes it through the 1st wave of FA.

But there just isn't really a shortage of big-bodied run stuffers. The market may stay soft for him.
[Reply]
O.city 08:26 AM 11-04-2021
This may be more of an issue because the actual pass rushers aren't actually rushing the passer like they're supposed to, but I'm tired of the either or. He's either good vs the run or the pass and shitty at the other.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:37 PM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by Chargem:
How far would you go to fix this team? If you could trade Tyreek for a top 10 pick, and free up ~18mil of cap space, would you do it?
$18 million is WAY too low. We really need to resign him before Davante Adams and Mike Williams get their new deals. Reek will demand more money than Williams if not Adams. DeAndre Hopkins is getting $27.5 million a year. Julio Jones is at $22 million a year.
Probably need to be thinking around $25 million AAV over at least 4 years with more than $50 million guaranteed.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:54 PM 11-04-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
100% agree.

They need to do with the defensive line what they did with the offensive line last offseason. It's really that simple.
LOVE it! Yes this should be the plan. I miss our dominate defense's from the 90's!
[Reply]
Chargem 03:22 AM 11-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
$18 million is WAY too low. We really need to resign him before Davante Adams and Mike Williams get their new deals. Reek will demand more money than Williams if not Adams. DeAndre Hopkins is getting $27.5 million a year. Julio Jones is at $22 million a year.
Probably need to be thinking around $25 million AAV over at least 4 years with more than $50 million guaranteed.
Not sure if you've misread, but $18m is just the cap saving for trading Tyreek next year, his cap hit is 20m with 2m being dead.

I don't see why Tyreek would let the Chiefs rush him into signing a deal like you suggest, he is clearly going to want to be the highest paid receiver in the league, Adams is an FA this offseason so no way Tyreek signs a deal before him?
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:06 AM 11-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chargem:
Not sure if you've misread, but $18m is just the cap saving for trading Tyreek next year, his cap hit is 20m with 2m being dead.

I don't see why Tyreek would let the Chiefs rush him into signing a deal like you suggest, he is clearly going to want to be the highest paid receiver in the league, Adams is an FA this offseason so no way Tyreek signs a deal before him?
A lot of players do not like going into the last year of their contract with little or no guarantees. See Tyrann Mathieu and many others. If they get hurt they get 0 dollars.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:27 AM 11-05-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
A lot of players do not like going into the last year of their contract with little or no guarantees. See Tyrann Mathieu and many others. If they get hurt they get 0 dollars.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Maybe it's exclusive to QBs given how well the position ages these days, but I feel like Prescott's contract will make it more likely that QBs spin the wheel and take their chances here.

He refused to extend, had about as bad a lower body injury (non Alex Smith division) as you'll see, and then signed a massive deal with Dallas after missing most of the season anyway.

If I'm Hill I'm slightly less concerned about injury than I am about slow decline. If Hill comes out next season looking noticably slower (not unlike we've seen from Kelce this year), his argument to be the top paid WR in the league vanishes.

And it's not impossible. He'll be 28 yrs old and in his 7th season in the league. That's right about the time the wheels fell off Maclin. It happens on occasion. And we run Hill HARD. Even when he's not getting the ball, the amount of running that guy does pre-snap and as a decoy is shocking.

There's a lot of miles on those legs. If he can get a deal coming off a strong 2021 that makes him the highest paid WR in the league right that very second, he'd probably be wise to take it. Because 1 down platform year for a guy who'd be entering his age 29 season when the extension kicks in could be enough to substantially reduce his earning power.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 08:14 AM 11-06-2021
Can't move Hill, but I'm curious if anyone would be interested in Chris Jones? Realistically, I think Jones, Hill, Mahomes, and Kelce are all untouchable but if I had to choose one to go...
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:30 AM 11-07-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
Can't move Hill, but I'm curious if anyone would be interested in Chris Jones? Realistically, I think Jones, Hill, Mahomes, and Kelce are all untouchable but if I had to choose one to go...
Jones' contract makes that extremely unlikely.

And Jones, while not being quite the consistent player we'd hoped he would turn out to be is still a force when motivated to be so. So, it is what it is, and he'll give you stretches of production. He's a guy you just build the rest of your front four around and he'll pleasantly surprise you from time to time.

We can handle it if that's the only big contract on that side of the ball for awhile.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:12 PM 11-07-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think it's ALL about the front 4 at this point. I mean, really.

We've dumped a ton of cash into the front four, and when it produced, we won.

Now it does not, and we lose.

I would absolutely put all focus on revamping that front four.

we have two talented young LB'ers, the corner room is all 26 or under, Thornhill is still there at S.

I'm putting all emphasis on front four.
No doubt about it

Pretty much have the O line fixed, now its the D lines turn
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:58 AM 11-08-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
No doubt about it

Pretty much have the O line fixed, now its the D lines turn
It's a good draft for it. A fair amount of solid DL talent should be available to us.

Just adding someone like Kwity Paye would be nice. And obviously you hope a year of experience makes Kaindoh at least a sound rotational option. Kaindoh at least provides some length that we could really use on the edge right now. He has the athleticism to be an asset and a little more functional strength is all he really needs to at least go out there and scrap through some viable reps.

There's a path to a solid DL next season. But man there's going to be a lot of needs there, especially with Clark's contract situation and the pending FA of Nnadi and Reed.

Just a lot of holes to fill.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up