ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State
Direckshun 01:39 PM 12-01-2021
We need to have a broader conversation in draft season about what tackles we'd be comfortable taking in the 1st round.

I've already said that while we do have bigger needs, we shouldn't sleep on a key tackle, should one fit.

One that may fit:

Originally Posted by :
NICHOLAS PETIT-FRERE
OT, Ohio State

CLASS
RS Junior
CONF
Big Ten - East
JERSEY
HT
6'5"
DOB
--
WT
315e lbs

Background

*Arrived in Columbus at 275 pounds, adding 40 pounds during first three seasons

*Interned with World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) in summer of 2019 to learn dynamics of professional wrestling industry

*Nation’s consensus No. 1 OT prospect from his recruiting class (ESPN, Rivals & 247 Sports)

System

Scheme tendencies: Vertical offense, shallow crossers, option routes, play-action killshots, high frequency of split flow and inside zone

2021 projected role: Starting right tackle

Pros: A former 5-star recruit, the appeal is easy to see with Petit-Frere, who appears to only be scratching the surface of what he’s physically capable of as an NFL draft prospect. Petit-Frere has more natural athleticism and dynamic movement skills than his running mate at left tackle, Thayer Munford, and when things click into place on any given rep, he’s capable of significantly washing defenders down the line and pushing to climb in the run game. As a pass protector, Petit-Frere has the needed length and reach to extend and create steep angles around the edge for opposing pass rushers and also has the foot speed required to drive out of his stance and cover against speed.

Cons: The appeal for Petit-Frere lies in his athleticism and raw tools, but as a technician, his relative inexperience and newness to starting at a high level shows on film. Petit-Frere is one of a number of high-level recruits for the Buckeyes program who have required a little longer incubation period than was perhaps expected, but he’s on the right track to flip the script and live up to his potential entering the 2021 season—he just has to go out and execute. There’s a lack of discipline with both his upper and lower body in all phases and he’s guilty of overextending himself at times trying to stay attached and create greater levels of push up front. In reality, he has all the pop and strength he needs, he just needs to trust his technique to manufacture the movements.

[Reply]
Direckshun 01:41 PM 12-01-2021
Keep in mind: we are set at tackle, theoretically, in 2022 with Orlando Brown probably being tagged and Lucas Niang, to say nothing of the fact that bringing Mike Remmers back would probably be cheap.

So we would not need Petit-Frere to start in 2022. We could redshirt him, basically, and start him in 2023.

Regardless, the whole point of taking a tackle in the 1st would be to give the team options should Orlando Brown high-ball us in the 2023 offseason.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:46 AM 12-03-2021
I'm not opposed to Petit-Frere in the 1st specifically because of his tools. I don't want to use a 1st on an OT, but this one could be elite with a little seasoning.

I could see a scenario where I take him, presumably one where the premier Edge talents are off the board. In that case, I'd take him over most of the back of the 1st possibilities at WR. Then maybe look at Zach Harrison or someone like him in the 2nd and see what shakes free at WR in the 3rd.
[Reply]
O.city 10:59 AM 12-03-2021
If he were available, take him, and trade Brown.

Play the young guy, save the money, go invest in a DL or S or LB or whatever.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:03 AM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
If he were available, take him, and trade Brown.

Play the young guy, save the money, go invest in a DL or S or LB or whatever.
You still tag Brown. NPF then competes with Niang for the RT job. He likely needs a redshirt season anyway.

And at a point you have to wonder about Niang's durability.

If Niang wins the job then stays healthy/effective for 2022, you consider him and NPF as your book-ends long term and then either tag/trade Brown or just let him walk.
[Reply]
O.city 11:04 AM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You still tag Brown. NPF then competes with Niang for the RT job. He likely needs a redshirt season anyway.

And at a point you have to wonder about Niang's durability.

If Niang wins the job then stays healthy/effective for 2022, you consider him and NPF as your book-ends long term and then either tag/trade Brown or just let him walk.
Then you go into 2023 with a new guy learning the LT spot. That's not ideal. We've seen how Mahomes gets when he doesn't trust his OL.

I don't care for redshirting first round picks.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:15 AM 12-03-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Then you go into 2023 with a new guy learning the LT spot. That's not ideal. We've seen how Mahomes gets when he doesn't trust his OL.

I don't care for redshirting first round picks.
I'm fine with it when you're getting a raw player with top 10 ability who's slide into the late 20s because he needs to be redshirted.

And aren't you going into 2022 with a new guy learning the LT spot WITHOUT the benefit of a redshirt year? Moreover, there's nothing that says Niang can't actually take that LT gig and NPF slides in at RT.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:44 PM 12-03-2021
One thing to consider is what O. City said and that would be that if NPT was there and the Chiefs took him in 1, they could trade Brown for a R2 pick plus afterward and they'd have some time to make it happen. I'm totally okay with that.
[Reply]
Skyy God 11:20 AM 12-04-2021
Sounds Canadian, possible doctor.

Hard pass.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:27 PM 12-04-2021
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
Sounds Canadian, possible doctor.

Hard pass.
Yes, those flippin' Canadians let anyone in to practice, especially ones from Tampa, FL with a major in operations management. Going to have to keep an eye out on the docs whenever you go North of the border.

After his outing against Aidan Hutchinson though, I'm wondering if he'll actually declare early or not. He struggled mightily and it's going to affect his stock. I think he could use that one more year dedicated to the weight room.

If he does declare, you might have some lumps against power rushers in year one as Fisher did.
[Reply]
Direckshun 06:25 PM 12-04-2021
Again, you don’t have to start him in year one.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:49 PM 12-04-2021
His last name translates to "Little Brother."

Not exactly a name that jives with being an NFL OT
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:59 AM 12-05-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
His last name translates to "Little Brother."

Not exactly a name that jives with being an NFL OT
Maybe he's got a little extra "fuck you" in him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:33 AM 12-05-2021
The only way I'd draft him in the first is if I had decided Brown wasn't the long term answer, in which case, I'd tag and trade him, draft NPT, and sign a veteran stop-gap.

I think this offseason needs to be about re-stocking the defense, and adding a WR with big upside.
[Reply]
Up