ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 19
« First < 51112131415 16171819 >
Media Center>NFBT: Any guitarists out there?
nmt1 01:42 PM 03-05-2002
Hey guys:

Just starting out on the guitar and I'm wanting to buy an electric. I don't have much money and would like to find one that would be cheap and good for a beginner. I've seen some Fender and Ibanez guitars that aren't expensive. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
Braincase 12:45 PM 01-16-2003
Got it covered... just got outbid on Ebay, and I took a look at the musiciansfriend.com site. I had already staked out a Roland guitar synth there, so I took a look at the Epi's. Picked up a new black Epiphone Les Paul Studio axe. I'll have to set it up, etc., but it seems like a good deal at 419. A hell ova lot cheaper than the local store.
[Reply]
Braincase 12:57 PM 01-16-2003
Viola!
Attached: epilpstueb.jpg (17.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:12 PM 01-16-2003
Doh!

I should've dropped in on this conversation earlier-

The 'Lawsuit' era copies are 70's knock-offs and they were VERY GOOD guitars. I have a friend who's sworn allegiance to the things and plays only lawsuit era Ibanez and Electra Les Pauls and V's.

New Ibanez knock-offs are cheapos. Most of your Epiphone line is cheapo with the exception of the new line they're putting out this year to bridge the gap between the $400 Epiphones and the $3000 Gibsons.

'course, I play a tele.

Cheers,

Chris
[Reply]
Braincase 10:43 PM 01-16-2003
Couple of you guys inspired me to clean up what I've got, jack it and check it out. Tonight I broke out the mahagony S series Ibanez, HSH, old style trem. Took the old strings off, cleaned it up with some ghs cream, slapped some new Slinkies on to it.

Came into the home office, and jacked into the Guitarport, downloaded Gary Moore's tones for "Still Got the Blues".

Oh, yeah. That's noice.

Might have to clean up the Alvarez over the weekend. Hell, by this time next week, I'll have my Ovation acoustic/electric kicking through the RP2000, into the guitarport, out through the Marshall, nothing but net.

Woohoo!
[Reply]
Braincase 10:09 AM 01-28-2003
OK, got the new Epi in yesterday. I think I could love to learn Les Paul's. Had to go with a Classic w/ transparent black quilted maple top, as it looked like the black Studio was back ordered.

Now I'm facing a reality - I was going to mount the Roland sythesizer pickup on the Epiphone, but the carved top may not allow that to happen - kind of what I visioned to do as the LP has a stop tailpiece and all my others have trems. The best fit would be on the older Ibanez, as it's flat (can't say I've ever seen one mounted on a Sabre - carved top issue again).

Anybody have experience with Hughes and Kettner combos?
[Reply]
Lzen 10:12 AM 01-28-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by BrainCase
...................Anybody have experience with Hughes and Kettner combos?
Nope but, Alex Lifeson of Rush seems to be extremely pleased with his. Have you heard their latest album. Very nice sounding guitars. :-)
[Reply]
philfree 05:27 PM 02-11-2003
ESTEBAN! I just got my new Esteban Autograghed Acoustic Guitar. You can smell the varnish. Came with a 90 minute instruction video and I also baught an Esteban CD. Beautiful classical guitar playing. I was up very late one night and came across an infomercial (sp?) with Esteban selling his Autographed Guitars and instruction video. I've been taking some lessons for a while now and I'm making modest progress. I know some folks who get together and pick bluegrass. They invited me to sit in but I'm not ready IMO and I also didn't have an acoustic guitar. So when I saw the show I said he!! why not for a 100 bucks. By summers end I will be pickin bluegrass. Anybody else ever hear of Esteban or seen the infomercial?

PhilFre-esteban
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:17 AM 02-12-2003
Bah! Ibenhad? Epliphone? Hughes and Kettner?!

All's you really need is a good ole' telecaster (mine's a '72) and a good 'ole fender amp (mine's a Vibrolux).

And now don't screw it up-get yourself a good cord.

LOL

If you want to see/hear mine in action, have a looksee over at http://www.pendergastkc.com

rock on, gents!

Chris
[Reply]
Braincase 04:44 PM 02-22-2003
Got the split hexaphonic pickup mounted on the Epi Les Paul, and I've been having some fun with the Roland Guitar Synthesizer. I'm absolutely enamored with the weirdness I can generate now - Australian outback noises, vocalizations, keyboards. If anybody ever gets one of those things, I got to show you how the guy over at Mass Street Music mounted mine - it's beautifully mounted and perfect!

There's a modest tracking delay that takes a little getting used to, and I have to admit I'm so used to the Ibanez necks that the Les Paul neck gives me hand cramps. What's a little agony to go along with ecstacy, right?

Chris - absolutely. One guitar, one little combo and a chord is all somebody needs. I checked what a good condition '72 tele costs - congrats. I'll stick with stuff that doesn't offer quite the bullseye for the prospective thief. I got by with one axe and a little Marshall or Peavey amp for years. Never played in a band, never learned any songs I didn't really want to learn. I'm sure I'll never sound or play like you. A part of me is envious... another part wants to go strap on my cheap Les Paul and make Celtic flute noises...

To anyone else - just get what you like, play what you like. Make yourself happy. AND GO SEE ERIC JOHNSON THURSDAY NIGHT IN KC! WOOOHOOO!
[Reply]
Over-Head 06:42 AM 02-24-2003
I know there's a whole bunch of posts here...(wasn't around a puter this weekend..) but here's some personal advice from a 20yr player..
1st...Go to a few local shops and play around with a few guitars..Just because it's cheap doens't mean it'll be "comfortable to play".
2nd...Just because Jimy Page played a Les Paul,,or Eddy Van Halen playe's a Peavy Wolfgang..doesn't mean you'll ever sound like either on of them..Contrary to beliefe,,you could have every peice of equipment BOTH of them own,,,and not even come close..THE SOUND IS IN YOUR PLAYING!!!
3rd..When you do find the right fitting ax,,,descide what amp you want,,,and plug into it,and fiddle around a bit,,BUT!!! just remember it'll sound a whole lot different in your room than in the shop you play it in.
Other than that...Hope you find as much fun as I have all these years.Playing in a bar is ,was,and probably will be the most exciting thing i've ever had te plaesure to do...

My gear includes..
68' Les Paul Black Beauty (took out the origional pick up's (kept em') And loaded 2 Seymore Duncan JB's.
85' Les Paul standerd Tobacco sunburst
74' American Strat with a Seymor duncan stacked double coil in the rear
an 85' Yamaha (the one they discontuned due to a law suit for looking too much like a strat)..That has 1 single Demarzio Super Destortion in the rear w/ a Floyd rose
88' Jackson Rhoads
A Charvell I picked up in a pon shop (no idea of the year)
and an 80'ish Kramer (yes,painted Eddy Van Halen red and white)
w/a Floyd rose

As for Amp's.. Yamaha G-50112 is my old jamming partner,,with an 80's Marshall full stack loaded with green back's.
and I have 2 69' Plexie's I used to club with..1 still works but I seldom use it..the other needs tube's,and a new pre amp circut rebuild.
[Reply]
Over-Head 09:59 AM 02-24-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by headsnap
nmt1, if I get a chance, I will post some samples of the zoom 505, and it's effects sounds this afternoon.

the cool thing about an all-in-one effects unit is that you can use it as a headphone amp. you could also plug it into your computers sound in and use your computer as an amp until you get a real one.
I sure wish this stuff had been out when I played in clubs...but then again,,I'll keep my TS-9 Tube screamer,adn Boss Heavy metal peddle...Along with the Boss delay,compressor,and noise gate..etc..
Hell my old pedddle bord had 15 on it at one point!!:-)
Boss,DOD,Toki,Ibanez
[Reply]
nmt1 01:56 PM 03-06-2003
Another question:

Anyone know where I can get backing tracks on CD or MP3?
[Reply]
nmt1 02:20 PM 03-24-2003
Gotta bump this. I was hoping one of you fine gentlemen would be able to point me in the right direction.
[Reply]
Boozer 02:22 PM 03-24-2003
Originally Posted by :
Originally posted by nmt1
Another question:

Anyone know where I can get backing tracks on CD or MP3?
I seem to remember "Musician's Friend" (or Musician's Enemy, if you prefer, based on their customer service) had these for sale a few years back. Kinda been out of the music game for awhile, and I think they took me off their mailing list. Be a good place to check though, they have a web site.
[Reply]
Braincase 12:50 PM 05-21-2003
This was on the Musician's Friend website, price was right, so I jumped like a madman. Should arrive here at the office tomorrow.

Epiphone Les Paul Bass
Attached: lespaulbass.jpg (9.3 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 15 of 19
« First < 51112131415 16171819 >
Up