ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Nzoner's Game Room>#1 city in the world to travel and work remotely
Munson 11:18 AM 02-06-2023
is Kansas City, MO.

The No. 1 city in the world to travel and work remotely is in the U.S.—and it isn't New York or LA. (via @CNBCMakeIt) https://t.co/J5mGijv6ne

— CNBC (@CNBC) February 6, 2023

Originally Posted by :
The No. 1 city in the world to travel and work remotely is in the US—and it isn’t New York or LA

Published Fri, Jun 24 20229:00 AM EDTUpdated Fri, Jun 24 20229:15 PM EDT

Jennifer Liu @JLJENNIFERLIU

Americans don’t need a passport to get to the No. 1 global city to take a working vacation.

Kansas City, Missouri, was named the best city in the world to work during the day and explore after hours without having to use too much of your PTO time, according to a recent analysis from Icelandair.

Kansas City — known for its barbecue, jazz scene and for having more fountains than Rome — is home to attractions including The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kauffman Stadium, Worlds of Fun and a bustling downtown. It comes out on top of 115 global cities in the ranking, which were chosen because of their prominence in the tourist industry and availability of “slow” travel options.

Tourist attractions aside, the Icelandair ranking considers metrics that paint a picture of each city’s quality of life (like cost of living, safety, health-care access), how easy it is to work there (internet speed, average working hours, commute time), environmental factors (climate index, noise and light pollution, air quality) and data from the United Nations’ World Happiness Report.

Here are the top 10 best global cities to take a working vacation, according to Icelandair.
  1. Kansas City, United States
  2. Vienna, Austria
  3. Wellington, New Zealand
  4. Copenhagen, Denmark
  5. Edinburgh, United Kingdom
  6. Victoria, Canada
  7. Perth, Australia
  8. Frankfurt, Germany
  9. Brisbane, Australia
  10. Helsinki, Finland
Travelers may be surprised to find typical big cities like New York or Los Angeles don’t top the list. That’s because these metros “aren’t always best when you’re looking to take a step away from the busy hustle of a usual working day,” says Gisli S. Brynjolfsson, director or global marketing at Icelandair.

“Slow travel” is a growing trend that “emphasizes connections, whether that be with the local people, businesses, culture, food, and to leave places in a condition future travelers can explore, too,” he tells CNBC Make It.

Slow travel is especially attractive to people planning working vacations, who are more likely to travel alone and spend longer periods of time at their destination. “It’s about being mindful, not burning yourself out and taking your time to get to know the places around you,” Brynjolfsson says.

While remote work makes it easier than ever to take a working vacation, a lot of people are coming back from these “breaks” more burned out than when they left. Some 61% of Americans who took a working vacation in the last year didn’t consider them to be “true” vacations, according to Expedia’s latest Vacation Deprivation study of 14,500 working adults across 16 countries. What’s more, 72% of people who worked through their vacation reported feeling more burned out than ever.

The Icelandair report recommends travelers find balance by connecting with nature, staying active and practicing mindfulness while on vacation. For days you’re working, take mini-breaks from devices and find an accountability buddy who can help you prioritize your rest, whether they’re a remote colleague or a travel partner.

Finally, even though these cities have the infrastructure for remote work, make sure some of your trip is spent logged off — delete email, practice proactive recovery and immerse yourself in your new destination.

[Reply]
TinyEvel 08:35 PM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Nebraska drivers are the worst absolute ****ing idiots
I don't know, man. I lived in LA most of my life then moved away about ten years ago. Went back for a few days last year and man -- the freeways. I've never seen such speeding on crowded freeways.

People (mostly in BMWs and Porsches or Range Rovers, but also in complete shit cars like Camrys or Datsuns) weaving in and out of lanes going ridiculously faster than the pace of traffic.

Probably just due to it is so hard to get around there, everyone is in a hurry or just thinks they are more important than everyone else.

I never noticed until I went away and came back.

80 degrees in December is pretty damn great tho :-)
[Reply]
Pablo 08:37 PM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
All of this is completely offset by the high quality people who call the sunshine state thier home. Good, wholesome, salt of the earth folks that would give you the shirt off of their backs right before they get really redneck drunk and stab you for wearing their shirt.
BEP also lives there. You know it’s gotta be a hellhole
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:50 PM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by Pablo:
BEP also lives there. You know it’s gotta be a hellhole
Tell me about it. I live in the same county.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 08:56 PM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
I don't know, man. I lived in LA most of my life then moved away about ten years ago. Went back for a few days last year and man -- the freeways. I've never seen such speeding on crowded freeways.

People (mostly in BMWs and Porsches or Range Rovers, but also in complete shit cars like Camrys or Datsuns) weaving in and out of lanes going ridiculously faster than the pace of traffic.

Probably just due to it is so hard to get around there, everyone is in a hurry or just thinks they are more important than everyone else.

I hear you guys can sit in traffic for hours. I get anxious sitting there 30 mins on I-35 fuck that
[Reply]
Spott 09:01 PM 02-06-2023
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
Why the KC shade in this thread? I fucking love living here! Having 4 seasons kicks ass. You pussies need to get better jackets or better jobs or something.
KC’s definitely a cool city to live in, and there’s much more to do downtown than there used to be when I grew up there. I’m not a big fan of the cold weather, but some people love that stuff and hate hot weather. I guess it really depends what you are into.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:02 PM 02-06-2023
I've met u sweetheart
Did u f**k?
[Reply]
BWillie 09:04 PM 02-06-2023

LA is one of the most overrated areas Ive ever been to.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:51 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Tell me about it. I live in the same county.
Can u see the Busch from the window?
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:14 AM 02-07-2023
Nebraska drivers are the worst absolute fucking idiots
Florida combines the worst drivers of every region.

Need to constantly pass on the right, like Nebraska/Missouri/Kansas/etc.? Yes.

Need to constantly be prepared for people driving 20+mph over the speed limit like California/Arizona/Atlanta/etc.? Yes.

Need to be be prepared for people driving 10mph or more under the speed limit for no goddamn reason? Yes.

And I guarantee you've never seen so many U-turns before... I think those are called "Florida lefts".

One new phenomenon on I-75 is with 3 lanes of highway, people generally stay out of the far right lane due to all the trucks, so you'll see cars driving along at 10 under the speed limit in the middle lane.... so it clogs up all 3 lanes while people try to merge into left lane. Then when they can spring a leak, they'll spread like ants to the left and right of the middle car and you'll see a gap of like a quarter mile just in the middle lane.... until approaching the next car going 10 under in the middle lane, getting passed by trucks to the right and a line of cars to the left. So, it could be 10 o'clock at night and you'll still see this clusterfuck of traffic, followed by completely wide open road with people speeding along at 90-95mph, followed by dealing with another couple dumbfucks poking by at 60mph.

And I haven't even visited Orlando in 20+ years... combine all that with a billion tourists who have no fucking clue where the hell they're going, mingling with locals who hate all the fucking tourists.
[Reply]
Spott 07:31 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Florida combines the worst drivers of every region.

Need to constantly pass on the right, like Nebraska/Missouri/Kansas/etc.? Yes.

Need to constantly be prepared for people driving 20+mph over the speed limit like California/Arizona/Atlanta/etc.? Yes.

Need to be be prepared for people driving 10mph or more under the speed limit for no goddamn reason? Yes.

And I guarantee you've never seen so many U-turns before... I think those are called "Florida lefts".

One new phenomenon on I-75 is with 3 lanes of highway, people generally stay out of the far right lane due to all the trucks, so you'll see cars driving along at 10 under the speed limit in the middle lane.... so it clogs up all 3 lanes while people try to merge into left lane. Then when they can spring a leak, they'll spread like ants to the left and right of the middle car and you'll see a gap of like a quarter mile just in the middle lane.... until approaching the next car going 10 under in the middle lane, getting passed by trucks to the right and a line of cars to the left. So, it could be 10 o'clock at night and you'll still see this clusterfuck of traffic, followed by completely wide open road with people speeding along at 90-95mph, followed by dealing with another couple dumbfucks poking by at 60mph.

And I haven't even visited Orlando in 20+ years... combine all that with a billion tourists who have no fucking clue where the hell they're going, mingling with locals who hate all the fucking tourists.
If it would help, I could let you speak to the manager of Florida.
[Reply]
stevieray 07:46 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
I would rather be launched into the deadly vacuum of outer space than live in Florida.
I'd chip in.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:06 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by Spott:
If it would help, I could let you speak to the manager of Florida.
Plot twist: The manager of Florida is a Super Karen, the final boss of all the Florida Karens.
[Reply]
stevieray 08:11 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Plot twist: The manager of Florida is a Super Karen, the final boss of all the Florida Karens.
...in the last couple of years, I've been to Co, Tx and Ok for work.

Drivers suck EVERYWHERE.
[Reply]
Stewie 08:20 AM 02-07-2023
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
Maybe Icelandair will bring back a flight with the new terminal coming?
We were going to plan a trip with their nonstop to Iceland. What a great deal that was. I sure hope they reconsider coming back to KCI.
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:17 PM 02-07-2023

It was freaking cold and wet this December. It's beautiful now though.

Also the key to surviving LA is live and work in the same area.

I hear you guys can sit in traffic for hours. I get anxious sitting there 30 mins on I-35 **** that

Nah the only time that ever happens is if you happen to get caught driving during two specific occasions. 1) The President is in town, any president. 2) You ****ed up and tried to drive home during the marathon.

Other than that it's an hour max unless you live in a stupid area. Like living in Long Beach and working in Pasadena or something.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 6
< 12345 6 >
Up