ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 152 of 726
« First < 52102142148149150151152 153154155156162202252652 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
|Zach| 02:28 PM 10-03-2011

[Reply]
luv 02:29 PM 10-03-2011
I haven't really been paying attention, as I don't tend to go in Saul's threads. Can someone give me the skinny on the latest rumors? If MU signs to leave, where would they be going? Haven't heard the latest on that, either.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:30 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by kstater:
Could be on their own network had they chosen to have one, instead they chose to bitch about others' after they voted to allow them.
I'm sorry KSU has no leverage but be glad that MU is looking out for the "special" kids in the conference. Don't expect any KSU, ISU or BU fans to understand that the pressure MU is exerting on Bevo is helping you guys out.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:33 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I'm sorry KSU has no leverage but be glad that MU is looking out for the "special" kids in the conference. Don't expect any KSU, ISU or BU fans to understand that the pressure MU is exerting on Bevo is helping you guys out.
Get real, IF MU is leaving as rumored, that has ZERO to do with anyone but MU. Don't act like you're trying to save us.....you certainly weren't last year.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:33 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by luv:
I haven't really been paying attention, as I don't tend to go in Saul's threads. Can someone give me the skinny on the latest rumors? If MU signs to leave, where would they be going? Haven't heard the latest on that, either.
The $EC.
[Reply]
|Zach| 02:34 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
Get real, IF MU is leaving as rumored, that has ZERO to do with anyone but MU. Don't act like you're trying to save us.....you certainly weren't last year.
If we take concessions and stay itll be a nice boost to you.

Agreed there is no nobole reason but the outcome will be positive for the have nots of the league.
[Reply]
patteeu 02:35 PM 10-03-2011
Is that really what you think he said?
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:36 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Is that really what you think he said?
he's implying that MU is doing it to help out the rest of the conference, standing up the the big bad bully.
[Reply]
eazyb81 02:36 PM 10-03-2011
Oh please, wake up. Mizzou is trying for the same equality that KSU, ISU, KU, and others should be trying for but are afraid to speak out of turn. Shared revenue, clear rules for LHN and tier 3 rights, etc. If you guys would have just banded with us instead of leaving us on an island it probably would have had a bigger impact on UT.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:37 PM 10-03-2011
And aren't this year.

But lets face it, you fellas that are hiding behind UT's skirts aren't doing anyone any favors at all.

At least MU might do something to help the sorry band of stragglers that are still blindly suckling on whatever UT puts in their mouths. Lord knows you fellas weren't inclined to do any actual heavy lifting on your own.

Sure, it's self-interested, but while you guys were coming up with this:

MU was actually drawing a line in the sand. If we stick around, the pack of sniveling ingrates that is currently lobbing rocks at MU will be better off for our insubordination when we dared actually lobby for UT to make changes.

Yeah - you fellas should totally be indignant. Afterall, you've clearly been instrumental to the changes being considered by the XII.
[Reply]
|Zach| 02:38 PM 10-03-2011
I wonder if they are pressing for merit based bowl slotting.

That would be welcome.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:38 PM 10-03-2011
Wow! You really have a problem with comprehension huh? I give up!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:39 PM 10-03-2011
he's implying that MU is doing it to help out the rest of the conference, standing up the the big bad bully.
No, he really isn't.

Go back to hoping KU's basketball program can get you a spot in a major conference.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 02:40 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
I wonder if they are pressing for merit based bowl slotting.

That would be welcome.
That is something that has not been mentioned, but I would think Mizzou would be the first to bring that up. Of course, KU would be opposed to such a fair rule.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:41 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
Oh please, wake up. Mizzou is trying for the same equality that KSU, ISU, KU, and others should be trying for but are afraid to speak out of turn. Shared revenue, clear rules for LHN and tier 3 rights, etc. If you guys would have just banded with us instead of leaving us on an island it probably would have had a bigger impact on UT.
I'm in the minority, but frankly I don't understand the expectation of equality. Some schools DO earn more than others in rights, and that is great for them. I would have liked to see a more balanced share, for sure, but I'm not going to hate on UT for having clout and the draw to earn more. I am against the LHN showing high school games or highlights due to the unfair recruiting advantages, but I don't hate UT for their tv deal any more than I dislike Notre Dame for their deal. That is just jealousy talking.....everyone of us would take the cash if it was available.
[Reply]
Page 152 of 726
« First < 52102142148149150151152 153154155156162202252652 > Last »
Up