ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Media Center>Marvel - Black Widow
DaneMcCloud 11:36 AM 07-11-2021
https://deadline.com/2021/07/black-w...ce-1234789473/

Disney Claims $215M+ WW Victory At The B.O. & Disney+ Premier With ‘Black Widow’ Weekend: Will Distrib Model Endanger A Movie’s Life Cycle

In a welcome act of transparency, the Walt Disney Company has announced both the box-office and PVOD numbers for the opening weekend of its Marvel Studios title “Black Widow”.

The Scarlett Johansson-led film will soar to a gross of nearly $220 million worldwide in its opening weekend. Broken down, the film pulled in $80 million in domestic U.S. box-office, $78 million in international box-office, and over $60 million in Disney+ Premier Access direct consumer spending globally (the majority of which was U.S. domestic).

This marks the first time that Disney has released dollar figures about how a film has done on its Disney+ service and, unlike box-office, Disney retains all of that revenue stream. The $80M kick-off marks the largest domestic opening weekend box-office since “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” in December 2019, easily coming in ahead of “F9: The Fast Saga” a few weeks ago.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 12:28 PM 07-11-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

This marks the first time that Disney has released dollar figures about how a film has done on its Disney+.
This makes me wonder if the other films released day and date didn’t do so hot?

HBOMax seems to play coy with the numbers as well unless it’s a huge instant hit like Godzilla vs Kong.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:49 PM 07-11-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
This makes me wonder if the other films released day and date didn’t do so hot?
This is the first time a movie has been available for streaming and theater viewing since Los Angeles completely opened on June 17th, so there isn't an valid comparison at this point.

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
HBOMax seems to play coy with the numbers as well unless it’s a huge instant hit like Godzilla vs Kong.
HBO Max is struggling to find footing in this new environment and I don't think they have the right leadership in place to dig them out of this hole. With directors publicly stating that they will no longer work with WB, their struggles will be ongoing for the foreseeable future.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:08 PM 07-11-2021
This is the first time a movie has been available for streaming and theater viewing since Los Angeles completely opened on June 17th, so there isn't an valid comparison at this point.

HBO Max is struggling to find footing in this new environment and I don't think they have the right leadership in place to dig them out of this hole. With directors publicly stating that they will no longer work with WB, their struggles will be ongoing for the foreseeable future.
I can see Disney sticking with this day and date premiere strategy if they are making that kind of bank.

That would suck about WB if talent doesn’t want to work them? I think the day and date HBOMax stuff will end after this year and maybe they do something similar to Disney premier??
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:38 PM 07-11-2021
It was going pretty good till the yelena line " this is an uncool way to die." occurred

They couldn't help themselves with those quips
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:21 PM 07-11-2021
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Spott 07:18 PM 07-11-2021
I finally saw it this afternoon and thought it was pretty good. It does seem a little bit like Mission Impossible, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. This was the first time I’ve been to the theaters since last March so it was great to finally get back to the big screen.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:53 PM 07-12-2021

#BlackWidow not doing as well as hoped at the box office https://t.co/u4zub8YZmL

— Matt McGloin (@cosmicbooknews) July 12, 2021

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:54 PM 07-12-2021
That website is completely full of shit.

I've read their nonsense before and this "report" is no different. I actually blocked them from appearing in my Google searches.

Furthermore, they didn't include the $60 million earned from streaming, all of which goes directly to Disney.

If that had been collected at the Box Office, at least 20% of that would have gone to the theaters.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:59 PM 07-12-2021
That website is completely full of shit. I've read their nonsense before and this "report" is no different.

I actually blocked them from appearing in my Google searches.
I thought it was odd as an outlier concerning the film.

Though I do believe Disney "cooked the books" with Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. With the shit she was pulling, I thought it would bomb like Melissa Mccarthy's Ghostbusters.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:09 PM 07-12-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I thought it was odd as an outlier concerning the film.

Though I do believe Disney "cooked the books" with Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. With the shit she was pulling, I thought it would bomb like Melissa Mccarthy's Ghostbusters.
Disney can't cook the books because they have to answer to shareholders. They go beyond G.A.A.P. standards in their accounting because they have to in order to see their stock price rise. We did the same at Paramount.

Disney's stock went up 4% today due to the success of Black Widow's Premium Streaming numbers.
[Reply]
Jamie 06:55 PM 07-12-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Nah. The real lesson of those two movies is this internet culture war bullshit doesn't have much effect on the bottom line either way. Ghostbusters bombed because it sucked. Captain Marvel was a hit because it was decent and Marvel.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:11 PM 07-13-2021
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Nah. The real lesson of those two movies is this internet culture war bullshit doesn't have much effect on the bottom line either way. Ghostbusters bombed because it sucked. Captain Marvel was a hit because it was decent and Marvel.
Captain Marvel exploded because it bridged Infinity War and End Game, and people were real horny for MCU movies after IW.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:13 PM 07-12-2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...rs-1234978499/

“Black Widow” Numbers & Box-Office Recovery

Yesterday’s announcement by Disney of not just the box-office numbers but Disney+ Premier Access revenue for the opening weekend of Marvel Studios’ “Black Widow” has sent shockwaves throughout the industry.

This marked the first time the Mouse House has revealed such numbers and only the second time any premium video-on-demand (PVOD) title has released figures – the other being over a year ago when NBCUniversal chief Jeff Shell revealed “Trolls: World Tour” had earned more than $100 million. Otherwise, revenue-generating viewership numbers have been kept under wraps by major studios who’ve staked claims in PVOD waters. The move now puts the pressure on to reveal such information going forward with other releases, lest it looks like the studio is trying to hide a flop.

The “Black Widow” results meanwhile are being thoroughly analysed. At $30 for the premier access fee, it would appear just over 2 million of the 103 million global subscribers of Disney+ forked over extra to watch “Black Widow” on opening weekend. Disney had indicated that the majority of those who did were U.S. based, a claim that has been seemingly verified by third-party analytics firm Samba Analytics. They revealed that approximately 1.1 million of their sample of 3 million users tuned into “Black Widow” over the weekend.

Kelly Day, who overseas the Paramount+ service, says the numbers show that continued experimentation with theatrical windows is going to happen. She tells Deadline at Cannes: “The success this weekend of Black Widow on both the theatrical and on the streaming side speaks to not only the complexity of navigating these windows but also the opportunity. There is still an incredible opportunity for people who want to sit in the movie theater and have that experience, but also people who want to have the experience at home.”

The market has shown excitement for a streaming future as shares of publicly traded movie chains like AMC and Cinemark fell sharply Monday while Disney stock was up over 4%.

Part of the issue with the box-office is despite the uptake of vaccinations in the U.S. and U.K., many countries around the world are still very much gripped by the pandemic and the rapid-spreading Delta variant is causing lockdowns in numerous countries across the globe. Venues in the U.S. and Canada also remain shut for moviegoing at this time. Meanwhile PricewaterhouseCoopers has announced its annual Global Entertainment & Media Outlook report (via THR) which forecasts streaming to reach $94 billion by the end of 2025 (up 60%).

The report also suggests the global cinema industry faces a slow return to pre-pandemic levels, one that will take several years due to lingering reticence, the pandemic-induced global recession and shifts in consumer mindset and behavior. They say in their summary that they are “not forecasting cinema returning to 2019 revenue levels until 2024”.

PwC estimates global box office revenue fell from $40.7 billion in 2019 to $11.8 billion in 2020. They expect that will grow to $23.0 billion this year and climb back up to $41.6 billion in 2024 with the U.S. domestic market not reaching close to its 2019 levels until around 2025.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 09:03 PM 07-12-2021
Just got done watching this. It had a different feel and tone than any other MCU movie to date but, that doesn’t mean it isn’t an excellent addition to the universe.

It was a minor moment but, also one of my favorites, was when they tied into the first Avengers movie and gave the basic story behind the Budapest exchange between Nat and Clint.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up