ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 260 of 3903
« First < 160210250256257258259260 2612622632642703103607601260 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:06 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs:
Current growth suggests we'll be hitting 5k new cases and 100 + deaths a day within 10 days. Right now our cases are doubling every 2 days, and we've gone from 4 deaths to 58 in 3 days.

In answer to your post about SARS, the characteristics of Covid-19 and SARS are different and merit a different response. SARS was not contiguous while asymptomatic, and the R0 was almost half of Covid-19
That’s not true.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:07 PM 03-14-2020

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:09 PM 03-14-2020
what up darwin

3 p.m. Friday: Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards announces the closing of all schools for a month to help prevent the spread of the Coronavirus.

8 hours later...Bourbon Street. ��*♂️ pic.twitter.com/sPY3Isk93I

— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) March 14, 2020

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:11 PM 03-14-2020
https://thehill.com/changing-america...son-reinfected
[Reply]
Dartgod 08:12 PM 03-14-2020
The wife and I did our weekly grocery shopping this evening at Hy-Vee. There was a normal weekend crowd and we were able to get everything we came for except some ground turkey. There were short supplies on some items and although we weren't in the market for any, the store was out of TP and hand sanitizer. All in all, a much easier experience than I expected.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:14 PM 03-14-2020
Driving around today I also noticed that places like Target and Walmart didn’t look too bad. I guess so many people got their shopping done the last few days but it didn’t look nearly as bad as I thought it would.
[Reply]
tk13 08:22 PM 03-14-2020
https://www.roi-nj.com/2020/03/14/op...irus-outbreak/

Originally Posted by :
The numbers are growing by the day. So quickly that not all of them are included in the state’s official coronavirus count.

It’s why Holy Name CEO Mike Maron thinks all the attention the coronavirus has been getting in New Jersey — from the school closings, banning of public gatherings, suspensions of pro sports leagues and even the fights over toilet paper and bottled water — is not enough. Not even close.

“There is absolute reason to be extremely cautious, to be very concerned,” he said.

Maron and his staff are working around the clock under the most trying of conditions. The vitally important single-use N95 masks that are needed to care for patients who have been identified — you know, the ones the state is running out of? Holy Name went through 795 of them. Just on Friday. By 7 p.m.

“They say we are getting more,” he said. “And we’ve asked (Gov. Phil Murphy) to get into the stockpile. We need them.”

The same goes for test results.

Maron said he has given up on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

“They haven’t even confirmed our first case,” he said.

He knows the state lab is overloaded. And, while Maron praised the efforts of LabCorp — “they’ve really been great to work with” — he has seen firsthand, every day for a week, how quickly the disease can spread.

“The labs are very, very slow,” he said. “I’m still waiting to hear back on two of my cases that are in ICU. We’ve seen enough patients that our team feels it can make a diagnosis. We’re not taking any chances. We’re isolating people.

“Forget about all that ‘presumptive’ stuff.”

Maron is a widely respected health care executive because he has proven a single-entity hospital can compete in quality of care with the bigger systems that surround him. He now knows Holy Name has another distinction.

“Holy Name is at the epicenter of the outbreak in New Jersey,” he said.

Maron said the past week has been unlike any other in his more than four-decade career.

“I can fall back on my cholera experiences in Haiti, which was devastating, considering the lack of basic medical supplies after the earthquake — and then the other things that came here, everything from MERS and SARS, and even when we ramped up for Ebola — this is unprecedented,” he said.

“I can tell you, it’s real.”

Maron wants to get the word out. He wants to let everyone in the state know how bad this can be. His team is living it. And his reality, he said, is not matching what he’s seeing in the media.

“I’ve seen a bunch of headlines. Some people are out there saying: ‘They’re overplaying this. It’s not that contagious. It’s a little bit like the flu.’ It’s not.

“What we’ve seen in the patients who ultimately are positive is that things can turn very rapidly. We had a patient that we were thinking about releasing — he seemingly was recovering — and then, two days later, he was put in the ICU. The flu isn’t like that. People need to know this.”

Things are progressing that quickly, he said.

And Maron needs to only look at one of his colleagues to see it.

“One of my employees, who is a beloved guy here, got it in the community and came in,” he said. “We had him in our ER in isolation. We were monitoring him, and the decision was: ‘He seems to be doing a little bit better. We think we’re going to discharge him home under self-isolation and monitor him from there.’ But we wanted to wait another hour or two because we were just seeing a little indication that something’s not right.

“In that two hours, he decompensated so fast. He is one of the ones in the ICU on a ventilator. He’s fighting for his life. It goes that quick.

“That’s what people aren’t seeing. The flu doesn’t do that to you. These people are going from being moderately OK to being on a vent. And the next thing that happens is they start to decompensate, and then you get into organ failure.”

[Reply]
SupDock 08:26 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Driving around today I also noticed that places like Target and Walmart didn’t look too bad. I guess so many people got their shopping done the last few days but it didn’t look nearly as bad as I thought it would.
I was at Target today
No canned vegetables
No canned beans
No soup
No TP, no bleach, no sanitizer, no paper towels, no wipes
No pasta
No canned meats.
No bottled water
No milk
No butter
No eggs
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:29 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
The wife and I did our weekly grocery shopping this evening at Hy-Vee. There was a normal weekend crowd and we were able to get everything we came for except some ground turkey. There were short supplies on some items and although we weren't in the market for any, the store was out of TP and hand sanitizer. All in all, a much easier experience than I expected.
I just got home from Hy-Vee and there were a bunch of empty shelves beyond just the toilet paper area. But as I was standing in line a lady walked up behind me with two items in her arms. While I didn’t have much in my cart I offered to let her go ahead of me. As I looked more closely at what she was holding I noticed it was two six packs of TP. I told her as she passed and thanked me that I was curious where she found those packages. She pointed ahead of us beyond the register and said, “Right there.” There day a pallet with TP and sings that said limit of 2. Even though I don’t really need them right now, there is no telling how long this stupidity is going to last so I grabbed my limit.

And I’m not above selling one, or even both, of the packages for a tidy profit to people who are actively engaging in this hysteria.
[Reply]
Setsuna 08:31 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I was at Target today
No canned vegetables
No canned beans
No soup
No TP, no bleach, no sanitizer, no paper towels, no wipes
No pasta
No canned meats.
No bottled water
No milk
No butter
No eggs
Drive farther away and you'll find what you need. Or order on Amazon.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:36 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
Drive farther away and you'll find what you need. Or order on Amazon.
I have what I need, was just grabbing something random that was available.
This was just what I observed.

Appreciate the tips though.
[Reply]
Jerm 08:37 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
what up darwin

So many people in this country are goddamn idiots....

Wanna know why it’s gonna get horrible here? Shit like that...
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:40 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Yeah this is ridiculous. US Customs response on twitter was apologizing it was taking so long but it is because they are screening people for the virus.

What good is screening people for the virus if you are packing them in like sardines first? They are still passing the virus to others like that who won't test positive for it right away.
My god... Some of you need to think before you post.. Everyone in Customs just got of a plane they were on for 5+ hours with the same people they are around in custom line... They are under instructions to self quarantine if they don't test positive for the virus, if they are positive then they can be treated and quarantined. How would you suggest they go through customs and be tested? Do you now understand why travel is being banned from most foreign countries...:-)
[Reply]
SupDock 08:46 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
My god... Some of you need to think before you post.. Everyone in Customs just got of a plane they were on for 5+ hours with the same people they are around in custom line... They are under instructions to self quarantine if they don't test positive for the virus, if they are positive then they can be treated and quarantined. How would you suggest they go through customs and be tested? Do you now understand why travel is being banned from most foreign countries...:-)
Your point is valid, unfortunately people are in contact with people on multiple different planes.

Hopefully everyone is able to self quarantine, unfortunately a lot of them will be coming home to empty refrigerators
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:49 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
https://www.roi-nj.com/2020/03/14/op...irus-outbreak/
That is depressing but it had some good info such as the peak point is predicted to be in 2 weeks. Bad news is us males seem to get it the hardest
[Reply]
Page 260 of 3903
« First < 160210250256257258259260 2612622632642703103607601260 > Last »
Up