ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 37
« First < 202627282930 31323334 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2020-21 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread***
comochiefsfan 10:08 PM 12-02-2020
Apologies if someone else already started this, but thought I would get the conversation going if not.

Hell of a win tonight. Pinson is a stud. Tilmon looks to have finally learned how to defend without fouling.

Definitely a promising start to the season. 2-0 and looks like this has a chance to be the best team of the Cuonzo era up to this point.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 12:27 PM 02-27-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Mizzou basketball has been a joyless slog for the following reasons:

1) Mike Alden hired Quin Snyder instead of Bill Self in 1999
2) After replacing Kim with a good coach and losing said good coach to Arkansas, Alden NEARLY landed Matt Painter and then panicked when he didn't and jumped straight to Plan Q - a guy he knew would say yes.
3) Because of Haith's NCAA issues, Alden refused to extend him and he jumped to a mid-major.
4) Because of 1, 2, and 3, Alden had no power left, and was forced to hire an unqualified disaster because of old fools, their nostalgia, and their lack of understanding of the current college basketball landscape
5) After Alden finally left, the shit sandwich of (4) led Sterk to panic when negotiating the contract with a very mediocre coach and make it nearly impossible to move on from him for simply making an NCAA tournament.

The last truly enjoyable season was a decade ago.

If Mizzou stops fucking things up, college basketball becomes enjoyable again.

(SIGH)

I don't understand why this is so hard. I was all in on Gregg Marshall in 2007 (when they hired Mike Anderson) and was a big Brad Underwood fan when they hired Kim Anderson.

If I can identify those guys, how the fuck can the ADs/search committees NOT?
They can but they don’t want to pay what it would take to get them in COMO.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:22 PM 02-27-2022
Mizzou Arena is so much fun when this is even a 20 win squad.

I love attending college basketball games when the team is even moderately competitive. But it’s not because of the basketball (college basketball all is sloppy and often bad even between good teams) - it’s the environment. And this is environment thoroughly sucks.

I hate it because I don’t go anymore either. I’m part of the problem. But man it’s just miserable in that arena right now.
[Reply]
F150 01:25 PM 02-27-2022
Mizzou may never be a Basketball school again.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:05 PM 02-27-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Mizzou Arena is so much fun when this is even a 20 win squad.

I love attending college basketball games when the team is even moderately competitive. But it’s not because of the basketball (college basketball all is sloppy and often bad even between good teams) - it’s the environment. And this is environment thoroughly sucks.

I hate it because I don’t go anymore either. I’m part of the problem. But man it’s just miserable in that arena right now.
At least it's better than women's BB. I woke up from a nap and caught the last three minutes of Mizzou v. Florida. Florida got uncontested layups on almost every possession while trying to come back. No sets or plays, just dribbling at the speed of dial-up past the defense. The lack of footspeed and help defense was absolutely jarring.

I would be upset watching 5th grade boys play defense that poorly.
[Reply]
gblowfish 05:57 PM 02-27-2022
Originally Posted by F150:
When they lost to UMKC, that's was it for me this season. Can't take them seriously.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 06:56 PM 02-27-2022
Mizzou absolutely can be a basketball school again. Still the flagship. Two major population centers, great facilities, great conference, good donor support and an AAU school. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

However, we cannot fuck up a hire again like Kermit Anderson or cuonzo “good guy, bad coach” Martin.
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:03 PM 02-27-2022
God, CM needs to go
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:08 PM 02-27-2022
Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541:
Mizzou absolutely can be a basketball school again. Still the flagship. Two major population centers, great facilities, great conference, good donor support and an AAU school. Plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

However, we cannot fuck up a hire again like Kermit Anderson or cuonzo “good guy, bad coach” Martin.
One good hire, 2 good recruiting classes.

That’s all it would take to fill that arena and turn the program around. A Drink level double off the wall would be more than enough given how much easier basketball is than football to turn a program around.

I don’t know if it’s a year too soon for English or not, but I’m also certain I don’t care at this point.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:52 PM 02-27-2022
I don't know how you can bury a program shit a little over a decade ago Baylor couldn't even play non-conference games or in their tournament. Schools like KSU/ISU don't have the resources MU has and they are competitive teams.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:31 AM 02-28-2022
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I don't know how you can bury a program shit a little over a decade ago Baylor couldn't even play non-conference games or in their tournament. Schools like KSU/ISU don't have the resources MU has and they are competitive teams.
And the real hell of it was that for about 10 years Mizzou had some of the best basketball facilities in the country.

Even now Mizzou Arena is an incredible venue. But when it opened about 15 years ago it was truly state of the art. And then with a chance to really build on that momentum and kill it in recruiting, they just shit the bed with their coaching hires.

Mizzou basketball is looking more and more like Mizzou football in the 80s. A program that should be good and just cannot get out of its own way.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:11 AM 02-28-2022
Originally Posted by PackerinMo:
They can but they don’t want to pay what it would take to get them in COMO.
It is not an issue of compensation. They have spent on coaches. Quin was highly paid. Mike Anderson was highly paid (and got a raise via extension at least once and I think 2x).

They made Cuonzo Martin one of the top 20-25 paid coaches in America at the time of his hire. He hasn't earned a raise, so he no longer slots in that window.

The money is.

The only coach who was ever cheap was Kermit the Coach, and he wasn't hired because the school AD actually thought he was the best option. He was hired because a bunch of old rich idiots forced Alden's hand (it was literally, get Gregg Marshall or hire Kim Anderson).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:54 AM 02-28-2022
Fuck it - just go hire Kim English.

Yeah, it's a year too soon. But if you don't, somebody will. And I gotta figure the only team that ever really comes to snipe him may be Maryland, who is looking for a coach NOW so if you win this one, you probably don't lose him unless/until you want to.

He's probably not ready. Next year's probably gonna be rough. But English is EXACTLY the kind of player this program would need and he sees the game the way it's headed. It feels like a situation where you get him a year early or not at all.

And if it's the latter, you go out there and if you're LUCKY pry Brad Underwood away from Illinois (and that seems extremely unlikely). You could've maybe had Holtmann when he was at Butler but you're not getting him out of Ohio State. Gonna chase Mark Pope? Deal with a probable show-cause for Sean Miller? Go back to the USC well for Enfield? Hey, you know who's probably gonna be available? Danny Manni....nah, just kidding.

I don't see any incredible gets out there that are slam dunk hires. Kim English is kind of a no-brainer in terms of risk/reward here. And if nothing else he'd get some fan attention again. The new wave of old people who are starting to get some excess spending money are my age and you're gonna need those doners going forward. Us guys getting grey in our temples remember English quite fondly.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:03 PM 02-28-2022
If Mizzou hires a guy that carded me when I went into Shiloh then I am well and truly old.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:41 PM 02-28-2022
It never was...
[Reply]
Titty Meat 12:57 PM 02-28-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
**** it - just go hire Kim English.

Yeah, it's a year too soon. But if you don't, somebody will. And I gotta figure the only team that ever really comes to snipe him may be Maryland, who is looking for a coach NOW so if you win this one, you probably don't lose him unless/until you want to.

He's probably not ready. Next year's probably gonna be rough. But English is EXACTLY the kind of player this program would need and he sees the game the way it's headed. It feels like a situation where you get him a year early or not at all.

And if it's the latter, you go out there and if you're LUCKY pry Brad Underwood away from Illinois (and that seems extremely unlikely). You could've maybe had Holtmann when he was at Butler but you're not getting him out of Ohio State. Gonna chase Mark Pope? Deal with a probable show-cause for Sean Miller? Go back to the USC well for Enfield? Hey, you know who's probably gonna be available? Danny Manni....nah, just kidding.

I don't see any incredible gets out there that are slam dunk hires. Kim English is kind of a no-brainer in terms of risk/reward here. And if nothing else he'd get some fan attention again. The new wave of old people who are starting to get some excess spending money are my age and you're gonna need those doners going forward. Us guys getting grey in our temples remember English quite fondly.
That would be a shit hire. There are no more consequences for being a scumbag in college basketball anymore. Go get Rick Pitino or use that SEC money to get Calvin Sampson.
[Reply]
Page 30 of 37
« First < 202627282930 31323334 > Last »
Up