ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Fantasy/CasinoPlanet>Yahoo - what is you doing?
DJ's left nut 12:12 PM 01-04-2022
So this morning Yahoo Fantasy makes a stat correction moving Buffalo's defense from 13 points surrendered up to 15. In standard scoring leagues, that's takes 3 points away from Buffalo's defense.

The reason they did it is because the special teams for Buffalo gave up the safety rather than the offense. And really, that's probably the RIGHT decision.

Here's the problem: Per Yahoo rules in effect all season, safeties don't count against the defense. Yahoo changed their rules about an hour after they issued the stat correction to 'clarify' that safeties surrendered by the special teams DO count. But that's simply not been the way that rule has been written all year, it simply said that safeties don't count.

It actually flipped the title outcome in one of my leagues. Now the respective managers are probably going to play against each other in Week 18 to get a winner, but what say you?

I'm torn. The rule as changed is clearly the better rule. If Buffalo had gotten a special teams touchdown, they'd have gotten credit for that. So if their STs surrenders a safety, that should count as well. But better or not, that's not how the rule was written.

Fucking Yahoo...
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:46 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
So this morning Yahoo Fantasy makes a stat correction moving Buffalo's defense from 13 points surrendered up to 15. In standard scoring leagues, that's takes 3 points away from Buffalo's defense.

The reason they did it is because the special teams for Buffalo gave up the safety rather than the offense. And really, that's probably the RIGHT decision.

Here's the problem: Per Yahoo rules in effect all season, safeties don't count against the defense. Yahoo changed their rules about an hour after they issued the stat correction to 'clarify' that safeties surrendered by the special teams DO count. But that's simply not been the way that rule has been written all year, it simply said that safeties don't count.

It actually flipped the title outcome in one of my leagues. Now the respective managers are probably going to play against each other in Week 18 to get a winner, but what say you?

I'm torn. The rule as changed is clearly the better rule. If Buffalo had gotten a special teams touchdown, they'd have gotten credit for that. So if their STs surrenders a safety, that should count as well. But better or not, that's not how the rule was written.

****ing Yahoo...
Damn thats a tough one. I normally am of the opinion the rule stays as the rule starts and can be reviewed post season, prior to the next. But that probably is the correct call and how it should have been.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 02:04 PM 01-04-2022
Agree completely with yahoo on this. It happened against the DST so it counts against them. A safety on a special teams or defense is probably super rare. I don't think I would be too happy if I had to play an extra week because of this. I'd be pissed if it went against me of course but the logic is correct.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:46 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Agree completely with yahoo on this. It happened against the DST so it counts against them. A safety on a special teams or defense is probably super rare. I don't think I would be too happy if I had to play an extra week because of this. I'd be pissed if it went against me of course but the logic is correct.
So I looked it up.

There were no other safeties against STs units this year. There were, however, a few safeties last year against STs, but none on muffed punts. On all of them, they were blocks into the end zone covered by the punt team and thus a safety. In neither of those instances were those STs points charged to the team defense/STs. They just vanished into the ether.

Now there's a slight factual distinction (though no mechanical distinction, special teams points are special teams points) in that this was a punt that was fumbled and recovered by the return team in the end zone. It should still be treated the same way as the above example, but given the factual distinction I went and tried to find another example of that.

Week 13, Jags vs. Titans in 2018. Cameron Batson fumbles a punt, recovers it in the end zone and then gets tackled trying to get out of the end zone for a safety. Yahoo did NOT count that against Tennessee's total points scored.

Now I agree, it should have. But it didn't. It never has until it did a stat correction yesterday and changed the rule to justify it. The rules have never held a safety committed on special teams against the ST unit that allowed it. I agree that they've been doing it wrong, but this is a rule change that came after the season was over.

I took this argument to the thread and actually ended up turning the vote. It ended up going 8-2 in favor of disregarding the stat correction and we'll manually enter the winner.

Yahoo just royally screwed the pooch here.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 05:37 PM 01-04-2022
Yeah I disagree with that change. The punting unit should be considered as part of the offense. Until the ball has been punted and a change of possession has been established. That hadn't happened in this case.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:51 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Yeah I disagree with that change. The punting unit should be considered as part of the offense. Until the ball has been punted and a change of possession has been established. That hadn't happened in this case.
I agree.

That begs the question... how would Yahoo treat it if a team's punter ran for a TD on a fake punt? or just about any other player on the unit that doesn't normally play on offense? Do they treat it as a DST TD?

What if it's a normal offensive player that does it? Obviously, there should be no double-dipping. Did the offensive player score it? Did the DST score it? Does it not exist?
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:29 AM 01-05-2022
People still play FF with defenses?

Get rid of defenses and put a flex in that spot. Makes the league (and draft) way more fun, IMO.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:56 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
People still play FF with defenses?

Get rid of defenses and put a flex in that spot. Makes the league (and draft) way more fun, IMO.
Iím going to try and get the league I commish to do that for next season.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:46 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Iím going to try and get the league I commish to do that for next season.
We're a 12 team .5 PPR league that starts:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
FLEX
FLEX
K


And we're considering dropping the kicker as well.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:26 AM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
We're a 12 team .5 PPR league that starts:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
FLEX
FLEX
K


And we're considering dropping the kicker as well.
Iíve hated kickers and defenses for years. Worthless positions when it comes to fantasy football.
[Reply]
carlos3652 02:50 PM 01-05-2022
If you treat the punting unit as part of the offense, as is the kicking unit, wouldn't that make punt returns not count against the Defense?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:56 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by carlos3652:
If you treat the punting unit as part of the offense, as is the kicking unit, wouldn't that make punt returns not count against the Defense?
Special teams is special teams. And when you roster a defense in Yahoo fantasy, you roster 'Defense/STs' and that's why you'll get points if a returner houses one.

I absolutely agree with the 'new' rule. Yahoo SHOULD count those points against Buffalo's D/ST.

But that's not how they've done it in the past. They changed the rule 2 days after games/seasons were done to justify a stat correction they made that they had never made in the past under the previously unchanged rule.

I think they got it right going forward. Hell, I think had they changed it on Friday BEFORE the games I wouldn't have cared. But they changed it after the damn games and that's just not okay.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:36 PM 01-05-2022
Who knew NFL refs worked for Yahoo Fantasy.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:17 PM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
People still play FF with defenses?

Get rid of defenses and put a flex in that spot. Makes the league (and draft) way more fun, IMO.
Yahoo is still a thing?
[Reply]
tyecopeland 04:14 PM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Yahoo is still a thing?
Yahoo is the best fantasy platform among espn, nfl and cbs.

I'd be sad if it went away.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up