ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Trade targets on rebuilding teams?
Dante84 01:37 PM 12-08-2021
Obviously our primary goal is to retain our own talent and build via the draft to keep as many high-dollar contracts off the books. So the following is conjecture around *IF* Veach would do something, what might he do; not that he *SHOULD* do something.

With that said, Veach has showed his willingness to make an aggressive trade when he deems necessary. With that in mind, are there any realistic candidates that you think he'd make a move on?

It sounds like with Pete Carrol's advanced age, and Russel Wilson potentially leaving Seattle, they might be entering a rebuild mode and would value draft picks. Would Lockett be a potential target?

If Rodgers leaves Green Bay, they could also be entering a mini-rebuild and would also value draft picks.

Falcons, Bears, Panthers come to mind of teams who also might be sellers.
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:36 PM 12-08-2021
There's a couple obstacles here, I think.

Obstacle #1 is that we don't have many draft picks to start with. If kccrow is to be believed, we're going to be loaded in the late rounds. But we won't have jack other than our original picks in the 1st-4th. And it may not seem like it, because our stars have stayed pretty healthy, but this team is lacking for depth, hard. And it's because we keep trading draft capital rather than spending it.

So I can see the Chiefs flipping 7ths for flyers on players -- that's really what you should be looking for, based on Veach's tendencies. The guy loves reclamation projects, so if there's a high-value guy that's completely disappointed, Veach may trade for him.

2nd problem I see is that the Chiefs are going to be hurting for talent at DE and WR entering this offseason, and it wouldn't shock me to see Veach spend 2023 picks to move up and get a talented player at those positions in the 1st. So I see our most valuable picks not as trade bait, but as tools to help us move up in the draft.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:46 PM 12-08-2021
We should be looking at DEs on their rookie deals that have underperformed on their teams.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:49 PM 12-08-2021
Just heard on the radio that SEA has no cap room and no 1st round draft picks.
[Reply]
Dante84 03:51 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
We should be looking at DEs on their rookie deals that have underperformed on their teams.
Good call - any come to mind? There might be some WR's out there as well; Hardman seems to have fallen out of favor as well (lower snaps, no longer on ST's) so I would not be surprised if he was a bargaining chip, too.
[Reply]
Dante84 03:54 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Just heard on the radio that SEA has no cap room and no 1st round draft picks.
They likely will if/when they trade Wilson. But this year's QB class is pretty "meh" so I'm not sure if that it would be their main focus.

It was reported today that he'd be open to waiving his no trade clause for the Saints, Broncos or Giants.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:52 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Just heard on the radio that SEA has no cap room and no 1st round draft picks.
There was a time when everybody on the planet couldn’t suck John Snyders dick hard enough. Pretty ugly in December 2021.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:31 PM 12-08-2021
The Saints might be a team to keep an eye on. They are in cap hell superficially and need a realistic future at QB. ER Marcus Davenport has underperformed his draft stock to some extent and carries that 10m 5th-year option. They can't unload Cam Jordan and just drafted Peyton Turner at the position.

The Packers might be over the cap by a healthy margin as well, so they may want to dump one of the Smith's with Rashan Gary in the fold, both are 29.



The Falcons don't have much to offer us that we need.
[Reply]
kccrow 07:34 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
There's a couple obstacles here, I think.

Obstacle #1 is that we don't have many draft picks to start with. If kccrow is to be believed, we're going to be loaded in the late rounds. But we won't have jack other than our original picks in the 1st-4th. And it may not seem like it, because our stars have stayed pretty healthy, but this team is lacking for depth, hard. And it's because we keep trading draft capital rather than spending it.

So I can see the Chiefs flipping 7ths for flyers on players -- that's really what you should be looking for, based on Veach's tendencies. The guy loves reclamation projects, so if there's a high-value guy that's completely disappointed, Veach may trade for him.

2nd problem I see is that the Chiefs are going to be hurting for talent at DE and WR entering this offseason, and it wouldn't shock me to see Veach spend 2023 picks to move up and get a talented player at those positions in the 1st. So I see our most valuable picks not as trade bait, but as tools to help us move up in the draft.
Loaded being 4 7th round picks if the comp estimate is correct.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:10 AM 12-09-2021
Absolutely no chance Veach keeps all those 7ths.

Dude hates 7ths. He's going to package them or he's going to trade for castoffs.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:39 AM 12-09-2021
I'm fine with trading low picks for players.

I don't want to trade high picks for players anymore. It was a good plan to build a champion fast; but to maintain we need to draft and develop the next group of stars.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:51 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Absolutely no chance Veach keeps all those 7ths.

Dude hates 7ths. He's going to package them or he's going to trade for castoffs.
7ths won't make the there 53 IMO.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:20 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
7ths won't make the there 53 IMO.
They may, honestly. Half the roster is entering free agency.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:20 PM 12-13-2021
For Veach the Draft ends at the 5th round is YOLO " let's give him a look"
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:26 PM 12-18-2021
RB James Robinson may be worth a look. He's infinitely better than CEH.

Depends on how much Chiefs are willing to give up for a years worth of service.

Contract is small but he's a FA in 2023.

This team needs a good RB...haven't had a consistent running game since Hunt.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up