ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 22
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Media Center>FOX & MacFarlane's The Orville
Fire Me Boy! 06:46 AM 05-16-2017

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:32 PM 09-19-2017
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I am enjoying this show. Of course, I always like the Star Trek series'. And I like Seth McFarlane as long as he doesn't try to inject current politics. But yeah, it will probably get canceled. Most space sci fi type shows that I like get canceled. The masses would prefer to watch another crappy sitcom or a lawyer/cop/hospital/fireman show.
The ratings have been really good so far so I doubt it's in trouble.

Plus, the order was for 13 episodes so that's a lock.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:39 PM 09-19-2017
I fell asleep during the first episode, and didn't watch the second. Unless I start hearing how awesome it is, I'm out.
[Reply]
Dartgod 04:19 PM 09-19-2017
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet:
I fell asleep during the first episode, and didn't watch the second. Unless I start hearing how awesome it is, I'm out.
It's awesome.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:20 PM 09-19-2017
Replay tonight at 8 CT.
[Reply]
MahiMike 07:33 PM 09-19-2017
This guy is not funny. Just vulgar.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:42 PM 09-19-2017
Watched the second episode...I'll give it a shot
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:53 AM 09-20-2017
I liked the second episode. It was definitely more Star Trek-style Sci-Fi and thought the pop culture references at the end were witty.

I also like how they kind of answered the "Will they or won't they?" vibe between Ed and Kelly. I don't think that should be a plot point for a successful Sci-Fi series and it looks like they effectively shut it down.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:32 PM 09-20-2017
I finally watched it today. It's pretty much the McDonald's version of Star Trek. Light, harmless, written for the masses, not particularly fulfilling in any way. Safe. I'm not sure how they've avoided a lawsuit from Paramount, so much is just blatently ripped-off from various Trek iterations. That's not to say it's bad, per se - it's okay for what it is. I'll keep watching, but at the same time wouldn't care all that much if it got canceled. I definitely don't see any long-term value to it, it's not something that's going to generate any cultural impact or nostalgia. Not in its current form, at least. As far as a thumbs-up or -down, I can't really generate much more than a shrug.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 03:51 PM 09-21-2017
Second episode was better than the first. I'm sure the failed relationship will remain as a main theme. Nice to have the show concentrate on developing a different character. Also got the end of the Donkey game and had to watch the on Demand version will all the commercials.

Thursday might be better, at least gives me an option other than the pitiful NFL game.

They could have gone a little skimpier on the outfit as well...
[Reply]
unlurking 08:44 PM 09-22-2017
Ugh. Episode 3 was a preachy crapfest.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:44 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by unlurking:
The original Star Trek was like that, too.

Race relations were a huge aspect of TOS.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 11:25 PM 09-22-2017
Well, it IS a Seth MacFarlane production.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:24 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The original Star Trek was like that, too.

Race relations were a huge aspect of TOS.
Not this bad. At least not the way I remember it, although it has been many years since I watched TOS.

This episode felt more like really bad fan fic. The jokes were flat too. Worst episode so far.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:59 AM 09-23-2017
Not this bad. At least not the way I remember it, although it has been many years since I watched TOS.

This episode felt more like really bad fan fic. The jokes were flat too. Worst episode so far.
I think it was actually considerably worse, in terms of societal issues..

At a time when there were race riots and people fighting for Civil Rights, Star Trek was the first television show in history to show an interracial kiss between a Caucasian and an African-American women, when alien overlords "forced" Kirk to kiss Uhura. It sent shockwaves across the nation.

In another episode, the remaining two survivors of a planetary war were picked up by the Enterprise, hell bent on killing each other due to their race. While the characters looked identical at a glance, it turned out that one was black on the right side and white on the left, while his enemy was white on the right side and black on the left.

Those are just two, off the top of my head.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:10 PM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I think it was actually considerably worse, in terms of societal issues..

At a time when there were race riots and people fighting for Civil Rights, Star Trek was the first television show in history to show an interracial kiss between a Caucasian and an African-American women, when alien overlords "forced" Kirk to kiss Uhura. It sent shockwaves across the nation.

In another episode, the remaining two survivors of a planetary war were picked up by the Enterprise, hell bent on killing each other due to their race. While the characters looked identical at a glance, it turned out that one was black on the right side and white on the left, while his enemy was white on the right side and black on the left.

Those are just two, off the top of my head.
I watched TOS in the late 70's early 80's. The original air dates were before my time. So very well could be that the black and white episodes (I actually enjoyed both of those) were "tense" during their time and I just can't appreciate it. To me, the worst episode was Spock and the hippies.

The premise of the last Orville episode was just over the top with absurdity though. Just horribly stupid. I don't think anyone who watches it will have an "oooh, that's so taboo" thought. It's not like this society is forcing sex changes on babies. Heck, the biggest controversy in my mind was circumcision, and they just glossed right over that.

At least Star Trek was edgy for it's time period. No idea where this would be considered edgy and not absurd.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 22
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up