ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 135 of 361
« First < 3585125131132133134135 136137138139145185235 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
unlurking 07:56 PM 02-21-2019
I know this is getting routine for SpaceX, but it feels like it has been awhile since they had a launch and deserves more excitement. Must just be the diehards.

Yeah, the manifest for the next 2 months should be awesome. DM-1, IFA, and 2 FH launches should all be exciting.

EDIT:
Oops, IFA isn't until June. Oh well, still some exciting launches.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:06 AM 02-22-2019
Those in the Rolla area, or who travel through on I-44, have you ever noticed this piece of space program history?

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9765...7i13312!8i6656

What kind of engine is this? from r/rocketry

H1 from Saturn 1
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:27 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Those in the Rolla area, or who travel through on I-44, have you ever noticed this piece of space program history?

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9765...7i13312!8i6656

What kind of engine is this? from r/rocketry

H1 from Saturn 1
That would make for some talked-about yard art!
[Reply]
unlurking 08:09 AM 02-22-2019
Some of the comments in that thread are hilarious. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 09:33 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by unlurking:
I know this is getting routine for SpaceX, but it feels like it has been awhile since they had a launch and deserves more excitement. Must just be the diehards.

Yeah, the manifest for the next 2 months should be awesome. DM-1, IFA, and 2 FH launches should all be exciting.

EDIT:
Two Heavy launches? That's great!
[Reply]
DaFace 09:35 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Two Heavy launches? That's great!
With a slight asterisk that, if the first one doesn't go perfectly, the second one will be delayed. It sounds like they're basically planning to just make one of each of the boosters for FH and just replace them if one doesn't land properly. So if all goes well, they'll clean them up and launch again quickly. But if any of the three isn't recovered intact, there will be a lengthy delay while they make another one.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:37 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by unlurking:

EDIT:
Elon says IFA is April. That seems...ambitious...but I guess you never know.

Crew Dragon high altitude abort test

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 22, 2019

Lots of tidbits in that Twitter thread fwiw. They're pretty much counting on the booster getting destroyed, which is why they want to use this one that's been up 3 times already.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:38 AM 02-22-2019
Both are NET dates, so will probably slip, but I'm hopeful they'll be close! Arabsat-6A on March 6th and STP-2 on April 29th.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:45 AM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
With a slight asterisk that, if the first one doesn't go perfectly, the second one will be delayed. It sounds like they're basically planning to just make one of each of the boosters for FH and just replace them if one doesn't land properly. So if all goes well, they'll clean them up and launch again quickly. But if any of the three isn't recovered intact, there will be a lengthy delay while they make another one.
My understanding was that this was only the case for the center core (having to make one special). The side boosters are supposed to be modified pre-flown F9s. Replacing the center core will definitely take more time, but replacing the side boosters should be much shorter (assuming they have spare pre-flown F9's not already assigned to another mission).

Obviously not "official", but this is some cool info...
https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceX/wiki/cores
[Reply]
unlurking 09:46 AM 02-22-2019
Elon says IFA is April. That seems...ambitious...but I guess you never know.

Lots of tidbits in that Twitter thread fwiw. They're pretty much counting on the booster getting destroyed, which is why they want to use this one that's been up 3 times already.
Sweet! Looking forward to the carnage! :-)
[Reply]
unlurking 09:51 AM 02-22-2019
FYI, Space Launch Now is a cool app (Android, not sure about iPhone) for keeping up to date on launch schedules from multiple agencies. Links to live streams and details about missions/vehicles too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...chnow&hl=en_US
[Reply]
unlurking 05:14 PM 02-22-2019

The Demo-1 Flight Readiness Review has concluded. The Board set March 2 at 2:48 a.m. EST as the official launch date for @SpaceX's flight to @Space_Station. #LaunchAmerica https://t.co/2DIJ99guG2 pic.twitter.com/86lV29gVNS

— NASA Commercial Crew (@Commercial_Crew) February 22, 2019

[Reply]
unlurking 05:32 PM 02-22-2019
Watching the briefing, there are 3 launch windows for DM-1, prior to the next Soyuz, March 2nd, 5th, and 9th.
[Reply]
unlurking 06:51 PM 02-25-2019
Looks like payload NET June, so second FH launch not until summer.

Fox also says the Space Environment Testbed payload, part of the Air Force STP-2 mission, is now scheduled for launch no earlier than June. It will be the second of two Falcon Heavy launches planned for this spring using the same set of boosters.

— Jeff Foust (@jeff_foust) February 25, 2019

[Reply]
DaFace 04:48 PM 02-28-2019

Crew Dragon and Falcon 9 rolled out to the launch pad ahead of the spacecraft’s first test flight. Liftoff targeted for 2:49 a.m. EST on March 2 pic.twitter.com/Dud93ZrkgH

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) February 28, 2019

[Reply]
Page 135 of 361
« First < 3585125131132133134135 136137138139145185235 > Last »
Up