ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 129 of 361
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139179229 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:17 AM 12-23-2018
No recovery of the first stage. It's like back to the days of NASA 'n stuff..
[Reply]
DaFace 09:52 AM 01-05-2019
Some cool stuff coming out from SpaceX this weekend. First, they've got the first crew Dragon test vehicle mounted to the booster and are doing fit tests. They're still a month or so from launching the first test, but the pictures are pretty damn cool (especially the one with the access arm leading out to the capsule).

Preparing to return human spaceflight capabilities to the United States, Crew Dragon and Falcon 9 went vertical at historic Launch Complex 39A in Florida. pic.twitter.com/igggZdCU9k

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) January 5, 2019

Also, they're starting to build the first "hopper" test vehicle for the Starship in Texas. They're hoping to do hop tests in the next couple months. Still likely years away from an actual launch, though.

#BocaChicaTEXAS sunrise this morning. #BFSBuild #FogTweet ��: Maria Pointer pic.twitter.com/WB5cUCZZtI

— Cowboy Dan (@CowboyDanPaasch) January 5, 2019

Starship test vehicle under assembly will look similar to this illustration when finished. Operational Starships would obv have windows, etc. pic.twitter.com/D8AJ01mjyR

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 5, 2019

[Reply]
Donger 11:11 AM 01-05-2019
So, a month away from a presumed unmanned Crew Dragon flight?
[Reply]
DaFace 11:13 AM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
So, a month away from a presumed unmanned Crew Dragon flight?
Roughly. Don't think they've set a specific date yet.
[Reply]
Donger 11:14 AM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Roughly. Don't think they've set a specific date yet.
Brilliant!
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:15 AM 01-05-2019
Hope they spice that up somehow. Right now it looks like a dildo with an American flag slapped on it.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:17 AM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Hope they spice that up somehow. Right now it looks like a dildo with an American flag slapped on it.

[Reply]
DaFace 11:30 AM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Guess you haven't seen pictures of New Shepherd...

[Reply]
Donger 11:34 AM 01-05-2019
So, BFR is now "Starship"?
[Reply]
DaFace 11:38 AM 01-05-2019
So, BFR is now "Starship"?
Technically BFS is now Starship. BFR is now Falcon Super Heavy. Wouldn't surprise me to see those change again.
[Reply]
Donger 11:41 AM 01-05-2019
Technically BFS is now Starship. BFR is now Falcon Super Heavy. Wouldn't surprise me to see those change again.
Okay. WTF is BFS? And what is Falcon Super Heavy?
[Reply]
DaFace 11:45 AM 01-05-2019
Starship (formerly BFS) is the part in the photo above that will house the crew/payload, travel to Mars, etc.

Falcon Super Heavy (formerly BFR) is the booster that will launch from Earth and then return to land.

It's kind of like F9 vs. Dragon.
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 11:46 AM 01-05-2019
Big Fucking Ship. Thats the second stage. Falcon Super Heavy is the booster stage.
[Reply]
Donger 11:46 AM 01-05-2019
Starship (formerly BFS) is the part in the photo above that will house the crew/payload, travel to Mars, etc.

Falcon Super Heavy (formerly BFR) is the booster that will launch from Earth and then return to land.
Ah okay, thanks.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:51 AM 01-05-2019
Guess you haven't seen pictures of New Glenn...
Honestly, I haven't kept much interest in any of the companies after it turned out everybody was going to continue using old school rocket designs rather than developing newer concepts like aerospikes. I get why (profit, faster time table) but it doesn't really...inspire me, I guess, to pay real close attention. It sort of feels like watching the 60s all over again, which is cool but...it doesn't really feel like we're going anywhere new. Not that I was alive then, of course, but being a child of the 70s, space was always kind of a big deal. Point being that I'm watching launches now (and I do watch sometimes, it's still neat...) that look pretty much like launches I watched forty years ago. Yeah the computer tech is incredibly advanced now and we can land them on ships in the middle of the ocean, but it just feels...old, at a fundamental level to see us still using basically the same kind of engines we had fifty years ago. Or eighty...

Maybe the kid inside 45-year old me just expected us to have a much cooler, much more space-explore-y world than we do at this point in time.
[Reply]
Page 129 of 361
« First < 2979119125126127128129 130131132133139179229 > Last »
Up