ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 94
« First < 61213141516 171819202666 > Last »
Media Center>HBO: True Detective
keg in kc 10:17 AM 09-09-2013
Hits in January.

Starring Matthew McConaughey & Woody Harrelson. :-)

[Reply]
SPATCH 07:25 AM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
It's that relative of a politician that was glad handing Cohle and Hart back in '95.
Remind me about this. I vaguely remember it. The show hadn't quite sucked me in yet so I wasn't poring over every detail.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 08:04 AM 02-17-2014
I think Marty is more likely involved in the murders than Rust. He might be covering up/killing people because someone higher up is telling him to do so.
[Reply]
keg in kc 09:01 AM 02-17-2014
I hope Marty isn't involved. Having a character named "Hart" putting antlers on people would be groan-worthy writing.
[Reply]
Buck 10:12 AM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
meh

Sheeeit. Best episode thus far.
[Reply]
DaveNull 10:14 AM 02-17-2014
If we're picking episodes, number 4 still wins because of the six minute single shot.
[Reply]
Buck 10:25 AM 02-17-2014
I think the whole lie while watching the truth was way cooler.
[Reply]
KevB 11:24 AM 02-17-2014
Interesting read on episode 5

Deeper than we realize

Things get metaphysical in one of the most masterful hours of television since ‘Breaking Bad.’ The HBO series' creator explains the secrets behind the episode. Spoiler alert!

Earlier this month, I interviewed True Detective creator and writer Nic Pizzolatto. At that point, only three episodes of Pizzolatto's gripping crime drama had aired on HBO. But the guy couldn't help himself. He was excited about what was to come—especially in Episode 5. "They’re like children," he told me. "I love them all for different reasons. But for me, Episode 5 is the most special of the children."

Fast forward a few weeks. On Sunday night, "The Secret Fate of All Life"—a.k.a. Pizzolatto's beloved Episode 5—finally premiered on HBO. It turns out Pizzolatto wasn't exaggerating: "Secret Fate" was the best installment of True Detective yet. In fact, it might have been the most masterful hour of television I've encountered since the series finale of Breaking Bad —and one of the most thought-provoking since, well, ever.

Consider where the episode started and where it ended up. We open in 1995. Rust Cohle (Matthew McConaughey) has survived a firefight and taken his bald, bearded biker contact Ginger hostage, forcing him to set up a meeting with a meth cook who could lead them to satanic murder suspect Reggie Ledoux. By the time the credits roll, we've seen Cohle and Martin Hart (Woody Harrelson) catch and kill Ledoux; we've discovered that, in the years since Ledoux's death, someone else has continued to rape, pose, and slaughter young girls in the same manner; and we've learned that Papania and Gilbough, the cops who are interviewing Hart and Cohle in 2012 about the Ledoux case, think that Cohle fixed the outcome of the 1995 investigation to conceal his own involvement.

In other words, the entire premise of the series—watch Hart and Cohle nab Dora Lange's killer in 1995 while recounting the experience in 2012—has been upended. Most whodunits would have saved their monster for the season finale; True Detective disposed of him at the halfway mark. Ledoux wasn't the end of the story. Cohle is now hunter and hunted. The interrogations are over. And the investigation is suddenly shifting into the present tense. It's a testament to Pizzolatto's skill as a storyteller that he was able to include so many pivot points in a single episode without calling attention to the narrative pyrotechnics on display. The shifts were seamless. In retrospect, they feel inevitable.

But that's not exactly why Pizzolatto was so proud of "Secret Fate" when we spoke—nor is it why I'm going to go back and rewatch the episode as soon as I finish writing this post. The real achievement of Sunday's True Detective didn't have anything to do with plot. Or character. Or chronology.

Instead, it was all about theoretical physics.

About halfway through "Secret Fate," Cohle—the mustachioed, ponytailed Cohle speaking to Papania and Gilbough in 2012—launches into one of his metaphysical monologues. "This is a world where nothing is solved," he intones. "Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we've ever done or will do we're gonna do over and over and over again."

That "someone," of course, was Reggie Ledoux. As soon as Cohle and Hart captured and cuffed their killer back in 1995, he started to talk. "You'll do this again," Ledoux told Cohle. "Time is a flat circle." Initially, Cohle dismissed Ledoux's prediction. "What is that, Nietzsche?" he shouted. "Shut the **** up." But he seems to have given the idea a lot of thought in the 17 years since encountering Ledoux—and, back in 2012, he proceeds to share his conclusions with Papania and Gilbough.

"You ever heard of something called membrane theory, detectives?" Cohle asks.

"No," Papania says. "That's over my head."

And so Professor Cohle begins to hold forth. "It's like, in this universe, we process time linearly," he says. "Forward. But outside of our space-time, from what would be a fourth-dimensional perspective, time wouldn't exist. And from that vantage, could we attain it, we'd see"—he crushes a can of Lone Star between his palms—"our space-time look flattened, like a seamless sculpture. Matter in a super-position—every place it ever occupied. Our sentience just cycling through our lives like carts on a track. See, everything outside our dimension—that's eternity. Eternity looking down on us. Now, to us, it's a sphere. But to them, it's a circle."

Needless to say, Papania and Gilbough are utterly baffled by Cohle's lecture, and I would have been, too—if Pizzolatto hadn't already told me what he was up to.

"You could see Cohle as Job crying out to an unhearing God," he explained. "Or you could see him as something else."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Cohle describes the possibility of other dimensions existing, and he says that’s what eternity is," Pizzolatto continued. "He says that if somehow you existed outside of time, you’d be able to see the whole of our dimension as one superstructure with matter superimposed at every position it had ever occupied. He says that the nature of the universe is your consciousness, and it just keeps cycling along the same point in that superstructure: when you die, you’re reborn into yourself again, and you just keep living the same life over and over. He also explains that from a higher mathematical vantage point, our dimension would seem less dimensional. It would look flattened, almost."

Pizzolatto took a bite of his branzino. "Now, think about all the things Cohle is talking about," he said as he finished chewing. "Is he a man railing against an uncaring god? Or is he a character in a TV show railing against his audience? Aren't we the creatures of that higher dimension? The creatures who can see the totality of his world? After all, we get to see all eight episodes of his life. On a flat screen. And we can watch him live that same life over and over again, the exact same way."

The thought was dizzying. Sure, True Detective is a page-turning crime yarn. But at least according to its creator, it's also a meta-page-turning crime yarn—a story about storytelling. Pizzolatto had transformed m-theory into a metaphor for television—and television, perhaps, into a metaphor for existence itself.

The important thing about the Yellow King and Carcosa isn't what they signify to Reggie Ledoux. It's what they signify to us.

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be the ultimate "meaning" of the series: that at some indivisible level, life is story. Much ado has been made online about all the references on True Detective to the Yellow King and Carcosa, as if they were aspects of a coherent satanic theology to which Ledoux & Co. subscribed—a puzzle to be unraveled eventually. But it's telling that the Yellow King is a reference to The King in Yellow, an 1895 collection of horror stories by Robert W. Chambers that itself references a forbidden play called "The King in Yellow"—a play that in turn "induces despair or madness in those who read it." It's also telling that Chambers borrowed the name "Carcosa" from Ambrose Bierce, and that H.P. Lovecraft later borrowed it from Chambers.

In other words, the important thing about the Yellow King and Carcosa isn't what they signify to Reggie Ledoux. It's what they signify to us. They call attention to the story-ness of the story we're watching. They tell us, as Pizzolatto put it to me, that Dora Lange is "meant to stand in for the universal victim for this type of show"; that Ledoux, with his comically archetypal 666, pentagram, and swastika tattoos, is the universal serial killer; and that True Detective is a form of metafiction.

Watch the first five episodes again, and you'll notice how often Pizzolatto circles back to storytelling as a theme. It's the engine that drives investigation. It's the motivation behind religion—a “fairy tale," as Cohle puts it, designed to “get us through the day." When asked about his so-called shootout with Ledoux, Hart says, "I tell it the same way I told the shooting board and every cop bar between Houston and Biloxi. And you know why? Because the story's always the same, 17 years gone. Because it only went down the one way." But as we soon see, it didn't go down that way at all. Hart's story is just that—a story.

Underneath it all—the spooky imagery and quantum physics—that's the simple but serious claim Pizzolatto seems to be making: that everything is a story. "This doesn’t work if it’s not a tale well told," he explained near the end of our interview. "But if you want to keep going, that’s, like, the fourth layer of understanding. You don’t have to. Nobody needs to think about that. But I’m not just using the genre while saying “Haha, we’re better than genre.” Not at all. I love the genre. But a genre doesn’t ever have to be limited by what’s been done before."
[Reply]
Bowser 11:32 AM 02-17-2014

[Reply]
DaveNull 11:48 AM 02-17-2014

[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 12:20 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Great Expectations:
I think Marty is more likely involved in the murders than Rust. He might be covering up/killing people because someone higher up is telling him to do so.

Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I hope Marty isn't involved. Having a character named "Hart" putting antlers on people would be groan-worthy writing.
Just can't see it. Marty has a hot button for people who take advantage / hurt the young and/or innocent. Visiting the country brothel, and dealing with kids that were victimized clearly sets him off and seeing red. It's possible he could loathe so much what is his darkest fear, but Rust has been in the driver's seat of the investigation, and I'll go ahead and say I'm completely skeptical either turns out to be involved.

If anything, I'd lean more to the notion that their continuing involvement in the case sacrificed any real chance they could repair or maintain a normal happy home life with Maggie and the kids or the female Dr. Rust was with.

Remember, they're the bad men standing at the door making sure the other really bad men don't have open reign.

That dark shadow Rust has in him is the weight of all the horror he's had to endure in the "job", just like Marty wasn't lying when he said work had fucked him up bad.

2002-2003 Opens their eyes to the fact the Yellow King is still out there and this is a bigger ordeal. The jailhouse suicide, just confirms there is higher levels of protection and if they really want to unravel the mystery, it's never going to happen while their LEOs. Chances are it would only slow their ability, as well as make it easier for whoever to monitor them or purposely assigned away so they get nowhere near piecing together the truth.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:41 PM 02-17-2014
I didn't mean to imply that I think Marty has any part in the killings. I don't.
[Reply]
SPATCH 03:08 PM 02-17-2014
Framed?

[Reply]
Brock 03:27 PM 02-17-2014
Cohle is still a police
[Reply]
Bambi 04:12 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by Buck:
I think the whole lie while watching the truth was way cooler.
That was awesome.
[Reply]
KcMizzou 07:27 PM 02-17-2014
Originally Posted by the_spatula:
Framed?

Black stars on the broken glass as well.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 94
« First < 61213141516 171819202666 > Last »
Up