ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 62
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
whoman69 02:58 PM 03-28-2012
According to Wiki, Dead Like Me was based on the first book On a Pale Horse.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:06 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by whoman69:
Incarnations of Immortality is one of my favorites. It humanizes the concepts of death, time, war, nature, fate, good and evil. Looking it up because I couldn't remember them all, didn't know he put out a new one a couple of years ago. Sci Fi bookclub doesn't carry Anthony anymore. I have to get it.

Its Xanth, btw. That is a good series, but its up to over 30 volumes now.

Herp derp, you're right. I wasn't thinking and put "Zanth". I bought and read the first chunk of the series, but I think I gave up around "The Color Of Her Panties". The puns were weighing it down so much and the stories were just too simple. I really enjoyed Bio Of A Space Tyrant, Incarnations Of Immortality and Battle Circle though. I have a hard time recommending his body of work because there is just so much utter crap littered around, and the quality of his work within series wavers a lot.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:08 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by whoman69:
It came out in 2007 and is called Under a Velvet Cloak.
I'm going to have to grab that. I absolutely loved his concept of God, or I should say who replaced that position in that novel.
[Reply]
listopencil 03:11 PM 03-28-2012
I just stumbled across this while looking at another thread and had to put it in here. If you're more into the prose that goes into SciFi/Fantasy, and you like an author with more of a poetic style (women) then this is the guy for you:

NSFW

[Reply]
listopencil 03:18 PM 03-28-2012
Wow, Under A Velvet Cloak got some really shitty reviews. I am thinking of just skipping it.
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:51 PM 03-28-2012
Bradbury's pretty great. Read Farenheit 451 if nothing else.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:08 PM 03-28-2012
Haven't read it in years, but 6th grade me enjoyed Ben Bova's Jupiter.
[Reply]
Buck 06:07 PM 03-28-2012
The Stand is so god damn good so far, and I haven't even got to the part where everyone dies.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:18 PM 03-28-2012
The Stand is good. King has a rare gift for characters.
[Reply]
Frosty 06:37 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
The Stand is good. King has a rare gift for characters.
If only he had a rare gift for satisfying endings. :-)
[Reply]
whoman69 03:51 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Wow, Under A Velvet Cloak got some really shitty reviews. I am thinking of just skipping it.
I think its hard to pick up a series again after 15 years.
[Reply]
whoman69 03:54 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I'm going to have to grab that. I absolutely loved his concept of God, or I should say who replaced that position in that novel.
I laughed when I saw that God had been contemplating his own greatness since the 15th century and kind of let things go from that point.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:47 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Buck:
It's Brandon Sanderson. He's a pretty big name in current fantasy.
Thanks. I read the first WOT book he wrote. He did as well as anyone could have.

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy:
I believe the last one is set to come out sometime this year.
Damn. I hope GRRM doesn't pull this die-before-done shit with us.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 06:40 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thanks. I read the first WOT book he wrote. He did as well as anyone could have.

Damn. I hope GRRM doesn't pull this die-before-done shit with us.
Amen to that. I am hoping that the fact Game of Thrones is such a hit on HBO, that he will finish the books sooner rather than later. No one knows though.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 08:48 PM 03-29-2012
Finished Crucible of Gold the most recent of the Temeraire stories by Naomi Novak. She hasn't lost her touch, I enjoyed it as much as His Majesty's Dragon. There were some good twists in the story and left me anxious for the next one.

I do have a pet peeve though and this just isn't about her...I hate when a series starts out in paperback and becomes so popular that midway through the series they switch to hardback. Makes my bookshelves look disorganized.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 62
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up