Iron Maiden - Still Life

Pantera - Domination

Jackyl - Dirty Little Mind

Lillian Axe - Show A Little Love

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:45 AM 04-20-2023
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Jackyl - Dirty Little Mind

Can't say I was a huge Jackyl fan, but they put on a hell of a live show. Bruce Dickinson opened and was fantastic as well.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:19 PM 04-19-2023
Def Leppard - Gods of War

Motorhead - Orgasmatron

ICON - Taking My Breath Away

RUSH - Witch Hunt

Accept - Metal Heart

Metallica - Seek & Destroy

[Reply]
kpic 08:01 AM 04-20-2023
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Motorhead - Orgasmatron

One of my favorite Motorhead songs, and that right there is quintessential heavy metal, if anyone asks 'What is heavy metal?' put this on.

Going back a bit to some controversial takes that were brought up earlier,

- It's interesting that on here so far Megadeth getting more love than Metallica, and I completely agree. In my circles anyway that was an odd take to have back then, and I think generally the consensus was always Metallica was better but I'll just say they were likely more 'popular'. Let's put it this way, I was given the Metallica tapes I had but I bought the Megadeth tapes, I accidentally saw Metallica live before I even knew who they were, I paid to see Megadeth live 3 times.

- Maybe I never heard enough of them but never got into or liked any bit of; AC/DC, Def Leppard or Sabbath.

- Tying a bit into the above; solo Ozzy for me is way, way, way ahead of Sabbath Ozzy.

- I mentioned some of it in the OP but I never got the hate for Turbo by Priest, and it was absolutely hated at the time (I'm not saying all the songs are great on it). I figured it was just because it followed-up Defenders that caused that and maybe because the 'synth' sound to it but it's not like they didn't do POE prior to this so that overall sound they had existed before Screaming & Defenders. Maybe I'm overly-sentimental to it because I had just got my license, I had a really hot GF at the time and seeing them live for this tour - with very few exceptions I'll always take a metal band live over studio sound.

- Ok probably, maybe the most controversial take? The one that almost got me kicked-out of my metal friends circle any time this band was brought up; the first two Motley Crue albums (Too Fast & Shout) are legit headbangin' metal albums! Get past the LA looks, the LA 'sound', the lyrics\song titles & most importantly what they did afterwards (most people default to everything after these two albums) - but there are some genuine heavy hitting and good songs in there.
[Reply]
Buddy Rich 08:56 AM 04-20-2023
While Metallica and Megadeth went limp like rich old men, Slayer kept plowing.

Along with old Sabbath, they're the all-time kings of metal.

[Reply]
htismaqe 12:27 PM 04-20-2023
Originally Posted by kpic:
One of my favorite Motorhead songs, and that right there is quintessential heavy metal, if anyone asks 'What is heavy metal?' put this on.

Going back a bit to some controversial takes that were brought up earlier,

- It's interesting that on here so far Megadeth getting more love than Metallica, and I completely agree. In my circles anyway that was an odd take to have back then, and I think generally the consensus was always Metallica was better but I'll just say they were likely more 'popular'. Let's put it this way, I was given the Metallica tapes I had but I bought the Megadeth tapes, I accidentally saw Metallica live before I even knew who they were, I paid to see Megadeth live 3 times.

- Maybe I never heard enough of them but never got into or liked any bit of; AC/DC, Def Leppard or Sabbath.

- Tying a bit into the above; solo Ozzy for me is way, way, way ahead of Sabbath Ozzy.

- I mentioned some of it in the OP but I never got the hate for Turbo by Priest, and it was absolutely hated at the time (I'm not saying all the songs are great on it). I figured it was just because it followed-up Defenders that caused that and maybe because the 'synth' sound to it but it's not like they didn't do POE prior to this so that overall sound they had existed before Screaming & Defenders. Maybe I'm overly-sentimental to it because I had just got my license, I had a really hot GF at the time and seeing them live for this tour - with very few exceptions I'll always take a metal band live over studio sound.

- Ok probably, maybe the most controversial take? The one that almost got me kicked-out of my metal friends circle any time this band was brought up; the first two Motley Crue albums (Too Fast & Shout) are legit headbangin' metal albums! Get past the LA looks, the LA 'sound', the lyrics\song titles & most importantly what they did afterwards (most people default to everything after these two albums) - but there are some genuine heavy hitting and good songs in there.
In my group of friends, Metallica was far more popular. However, I was the only person in the group that also listened to Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, and others. I was a Friedman fan when he was in Cacophony with Jason Becker so when he joined Megadeth, I knew it was going to be for me.

Don't really like Def Leppard AT ALL. AC/DC, I much prefer the early Bon Scott stuff. Black Sabbath is my favorite fucking band, you asshole. :-)

In order - Dio Sabbath, Dio, Ozzy, Ozzy Sabbath. I rank Ozzy Sabbath 4th because even though the early stuff is groundbreakingly heavy, the later stuff especially post SBS just isn't. The drugs moved them is weird directions and the riffs just aren't there and they really didn't appear again until Ozzy was gone.

I don't get the hate for Turbo either. Probably just that they departed from their sound on so many of the tracks. Bands experiment. Remember Ram It Down wasn't very popular at the time either. People just didn't like the sound. But you could totally hear the evolution that ultimately led them to Painkiller, which is one of the best metal albums of all time.

Finally, Motley Crue. I absolutely LOVE the first two albums. They busted out the hair spray for TOP and it was all downhill from there. How's this for controversial?

Kickstart My Heart might be the worst metal song of all time. I said it.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:34 PM 04-20-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
It's bad, but is it "Seventeen" by Winger bad?

Speaking of hair metal, I used to hate it, but my appreciation for some of it has grown over the decades. I'm a little ashamed to admit it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:49 PM 04-20-2023
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
It's bad, but is it "Seventeen" by Winger bad?

Speaking of hair metal, I used to hate it, but my appreciation for some of it has grown over the decades. I'm a little ashamed to admit it.
I don't know that it's as bad as Winger but it's played A LOT more, even still today. And people act like Dr. Feelgood is Crue at their best when I just feel like it's Crue at their WORST.

And yeah, there's some hair metal I still listen to. I love Twisted Sister but again, they were from New York and started in the mid-70's. They also spent a good amount of time in England. They were not at all part of that Sunset Strip thing but just got lumped in, kind of like Ozzy did.

I still like Stryper but honestly, it's because their new stuff over the last 8 years or so is so much better than anything they put out in the 80's. Most of the other bands from that era I can take or leave, unless there is some guitar link - I still listen to Dokken even though it's schlock rock because George Lynch is a fucking beast.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 01:10 PM 04-20-2023

[Reply]
Fishpicker 05:53 AM 04-21-2023

In order - Dio Sabbath, Dio, Ozzy, Ozzy Sabbath. I rank Ozzy Sabbath 4th because even though the early stuff is groundbreakingly heavy, the later stuff especially post SBS just isn't. The drugs moved them is weird directions and the riffs just aren't there and they really didn't appear again until Ozzy was gone.
for me - Purple Sabbath, Martin era Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio Sabbath, Oz Sabbath, Dio. But it is all pretty close.

1 - 19 in order, left to right. Forbidden is omitted because I have never listened to the album in one go.

[Reply]
Stryker 08:37 PM 04-19-2023
LOUDNESS - Rock This Way

[Reply]
Fishpicker 06:13 AM 04-20-2023

this was my jam BITD. this performance specifically, Kansas City MO. April 28 1986.

nobody played the slow part of I Dont Know like Jake E Lee

Ozzy cracks me up. in '86 he had the same wig and wore the same sequined gowns as Bette Midler.

I kinda miss Autograph. Ozzy once said that Autograph was his favorite band (out of all his contemporaries)

true story. Rick James claimed in his autobiography that he sailed his yacht to S. America and back to supply all the biggest rockers with yayo. he also claimed that since his clientele were willing to pay premium prices, he made more money off large coke sales than he did in his entire music career.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 06:52 AM 04-20-2023
name the 4 singers you put on the Mt. Rushmore of Rock

Roy Orbison
Freddie Mercury
Glenn Hughes
Dio
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:10 AM 04-20-2023
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
name the 4 singers you put on the Mt. Rushmore of Rock

Roy Orbison
Freddie Mercury
Glenn Hughes
Dio
Dio and Freddie are no brainers.

I'm probably going with Chris Cornell and Mike Patton for the other two spots.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 29
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up