ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:54 AM 01-23-2022
why is it there are so many Fucked up jobs/bosses
[Reply]
R8RFAN 11:00 AM 01-23-2022
I have been doing the same job for 28 years. I am sick of being away from home 12 hours a day. I don't mind the work as much as I do the 1 hour total commute everyday and the 11 hours of actual work time, I will take a cut any day for a normal 8 hour work day
[Reply]
stevieray 11:00 AM 01-23-2022
I'm motivated by bills, not money.

Money is just a means to an end.

Nobody lies on their death bed wishing they would have worked more.

Pay yourself first!!!! Especially if it means keeping your sanity by changing jobs.

Good fortune to you!
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:09 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by R8RFAN:
I have been doing the same job for 28 years. I am sick of being away from home 12 hours a day. I don't mind the work as much as I do the 1 hour total commute everyday and the 11 hours of actual work time, I will take a cut any day for a normal 8 hour work day
In my part of the world I don't know of any outfit that is staffed up with CDL operators. Get to looking. If you were here I could get you an 8-5er this afternoon.
[Reply]
R8RFAN 11:14 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
In my part of the world I don't know of any outfit that is staffed up with CDL operators. Get to looking. If you were here I could get you an 8-5er this afternoon.

No shortage of need for CDL drivers here either , I would love an 8-5 job
[Reply]
HayWire 11:21 AM 01-23-2022
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-fXn8z1LA
[Reply]
Spott 11:23 AM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Probably a lot of answers to this. One thing that happens with my employer and I’m sure many others is that the wrong type of people seek positions of power. And many times these are the laziest employees and their current managers just look for way to get rid of them, even if it means promoting them to a management job in a different department. I imagine this is even more common in large corporations because it’s easier to just keep kicking the can/bad employee down the road.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 11:28 AM 01-23-2022
Money will never make you satisfied in a job you dislike, lack of money will make you dissatisfied in a job you like.

I understand your position; I'm a couple of years from retirement and my boss gives me a promotion to a manager position that I said I didn't want. Yeah, it's more money however not enough to make any difference this close to retirement. And I absolutely don't like it. I have discussed it multiple times and he doesn't care. He got what he wanted.
[Reply]
penchief 12:12 PM 01-23-2022
Ironically, I start my new position tomorrow. I’m taking a different position with my current employer. I traded 10% less in pay for about 75% less stress.

I recently had a wake up call when I suffered a stroke related to stress. Stood up from my desk late on a Friday afternoon and the entire right side of my body went numb and tingly. I tried to walk it off but it got worse. I drove myself to the emergency room and was informed that I was in the middle of a stroke. My blood pressure was through the ceiling. I have full use of all my motor functions but still have slight tingling in my limbs that I’m able to block out most of the time.

The scary thing is that CT scan showed that I had an earlier silent stroke that I wasn’t aware of. And the neurologist showed me four other fainter spots on my brain that he described as, “chronic brain damage caused by unchecked high blood pressure.” My last annual checkup was in February of 2020 and my blood pressure was well within the safe zone and has always been all my life. I’ve always been fit and hardy. Yet it only took work related stress 16 months to nearly put me out of commission.

I hope all of you remain mindful of just how deadly stress can be. She is a sneaky bitch.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:24 PM 01-23-2022
why is it there are so many ****ed up jobs/bosses
My experience has been the ones most caught up in leading teams usually are the worst at it.

My micromanager boss has literally nothing else in his life but work and success. And his boss knew that a properly motivated my boss’ name would pump out miraculous results by working 70+ hours a week.

Homeboy told me, when I got promoted to a manager role, that his expectation was managers worked at least 55 hours a week (salaried job).

In his mind, more hours meant better work.

And he was so mindful of his/his teams’ success that it drove him to drive himself into the ground and us along with him.

Had an executive MBA. Most educated/formally trained manager I’ve had. Far and away the worst.
[Reply]
bdj23 12:35 PM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by :
I recently had a wake up call when I suffered a stroke related to stress. Stood up from my desk late on a Friday afternoon and the entire right side of my body went numb and tingly. I tried to walk it off but it got worse. I drove myself to the emergency room and was informed that I was in the middle of a stroke. My blood pressure was through the ceiling. I have full use of all my motor functions but still have slight tingling in my limbs that I’m able to block out most of the time.
This is what I'm trying to avoid. Lots of days I wake up with migraines or bad stomach aches and feel nauseous all day long. Last week I probably ate 1 meal a day because I was feeling so shitty.

I'm not to the point of having a stroke, but I have to be well on my way.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:36 PM 01-23-2022
A lot careers paths take people into management whether they're good at it or not. Its where the money is.

Over the past 5 or so years my employer has finally started paying people leader salaries to individual contributors. We've also adopted a passive management style. Meaning individual contributors are the experts and a managers job is to clear obstacles and get us whatever we need to deliver the product. Those two things are huge reasons I've stayed there through this Great Resignation thing.

I know I wouldn't be a good people leader because I don't care about people, so I shouldn't have to pursue that role just to get paid more.
[Reply]
penchief 01:08 PM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
This is what I'm trying to avoid. Lots of days I wake up with migraines or bad stomach aches and feel nauseous all day long. Last week I probably ate 1 meal a day because I was feeling so shitty.

Interesting that you bring up nausea. For a few months prior to having the stroke that took me to the hospital, I was experiencing short bouts of nausea two or three times a day. Now that I know I had the earlier silent stroke, I think it was my body warning me. I still get them. They only last about 30 seconds to a minute but never cause me to vomit. They just make me stop in my tracks while I ride it out. I feel like I have to catch my breath while my insides feel queasy and my eyes water.

I think they started as a result of the silent stroke and still persist. I feel like it might be my body telling me when I need to back off.
[Reply]
raybec 4 01:18 PM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:

It sounds like you have already made your decision but just haven't acted on it yet. I haven't read through the entire thread but what grounds did they use to demote you and how did you react to that?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:45 PM 01-23-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
My experience has been the ones most caught up in leading teams usually are the worst at it.

My micromanager boss has literally nothing else in his life but work and success. And his boss knew that a properly motivated my boss’ name would pump out miraculous results by working 70+ hours a week.

Homeboy told me, when I got promoted to a manager role, that his expectation was managers worked at least 55 hours a week (salaried job).

In his mind, more hours meant better work.

And he was so mindful of his/his teams’ success that it drove him to drive himself into the ground and us along with him.

Had an executive MBA. Most educated/formally trained manager I’ve had. Far and away the worst.
I've spent the entirety of my adult life in either the academy or healthcare, and MBAs have ruined both professions.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 12
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up