ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
neech 12:47 PM 01-22-2022
I knew a salesman his nickname was "shorty".
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 12:52 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
Fuck that unless there is a bigger payday down the road. Go get anew job that pays more.
[Reply]
notorious 12:59 PM 01-22-2022
Talk to your current boss to see if there's something they can do to help.

If they don't play ball, there are a ton of jobs to take.

Good luck buddy.
[Reply]
notorious 01:00 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
"Money isn't everything" is one of the best truisms ever

I took a pay cut years ago to get out of the car selling business and never thought twice about it

Working every saturday
Always being harangued to come in on my day off
Taking heat from every side... customers, mgmt, other sales staff

Lifes too short to be miserable at work, get out and don't look back
Why is this the first thing I thought of, Easy?

[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 01:02 PM 01-22-2022
My wife had a job that she loved and worked in for almost 10 years. A new director moved in and was a total twat waffle, my wife’s friends quit, my wife talked about it but loved her position of training volunteers. She stuck with it for a year until some shit with a coworker was said, some racist bullshit, my wife said something to director. Unfortunately for my wife director and racist Rachel were bffs and my wife had her work life turned into a nightmare.

She was bringing that stress home, crying, mad, checked out. She couldn’t get away from it, so I called in some favors and got her an interview somewhere else. She quit, took the new job which was around $9,000 less a year which made it a little tight for the past year. She just accepted a new position in that company after a year, making $15,000 more with commission checks on top of it. Her coworkers with the same job are getting 6 figures, so her life is much better. She is much happier and life is much better for everyone

Do not stay in something that will ruin your mental health and your family’s health. A job isn’t worth that, no job is worth that
[Reply]
MTG#10 01:02 PM 01-22-2022
Just did this right after Christmas. Stayed with the same company, but stepped down from a management position to just being a grunt. So far the paycut has been well worth the reduced stress/hours.
[Reply]
Easy 6 01:04 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
Why is this the first thing I thought of, Easy?

:-) LOVE that movie
[Reply]
bdj23 01:07 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Seems like this feeling of wanting to find another job that pays less might have more to do with how you were treated and ended up in this position rather than the position or responsibilities itself.
Yep.

If I had just been left in that position I liked this thread would have never been made.
[Reply]
bdj23 01:26 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by eDave:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...hlight=burnout
I might have drunkposted in this thread one Saturday night.
[Reply]
F150 01:38 PM 01-22-2022
That's the thing. I had a position I really liked with my current employer, but then I got demoted (long story, it was bullshit) and now I'm stuck doing something I don't like.

It's 100% killed my moral. I tried to make it work for my family and I don't think it ever will.

Id leave in a heartbeat

Happy is damn important. And if they screwed you once, they will again'
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 01:38 PM 01-22-2022
The biggest mistake you can make is staying at a job you hate. Just not worth it.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:39 PM 01-22-2022
Far too many variables. How close you are to retirement, what your plan is once you get there, the priority placed on earlier retirement, what kind d of pay cut you're talking about, how many hours constitutes burnout versus realistic expectations of the next job, options and how you can improve your current situation right now versus finding something else.....

And I know you're just looking for general experiences, but there are a lot of considerations that may or may not be relevant. I'm personally not one to think someone should sacrifice years and years of work they don't enjoy or that takes over their life for a retirement that may never even happen.... yet, depends on age, it could be something to tolerate for the future. :-)
[Reply]
Eureka 01:48 PM 01-22-2022
Is not having the extra money worth being happy?

Promotions keep coming up for the large tech company I work for and I decline or don't throw my hat in for said promotion. My boss's and co-workers ask me why I don't move up and I simply state I am happy with where I'm at.

My current gig is super chill/No stress
It pays my bills
When I leave work it doesn't come home with me
No deadlines or stressful work

Used to have that busy stressful job making bigger $ and I find peace of mind/happiness is worth more then that extra money. If you can manage it then I would recommend OP make a move somehow.
[Reply]
TribalElder 01:51 PM 01-22-2022
you should leave

it's an employees market

a paycut is worth it for a better overall life
[Reply]
bdj23 01:52 PM 01-22-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Far too many variables. How close you are to retirement, what your plan is once you get there, the priority placed on earlier retirement, what kind d of pay cut you're talking about, how many hours constitutes burnout versus realistic expectations of the next job, options and how you can improve your current situation right now versus finding something else.....

And I know you're just looking for general experiences, but there are a lot of considerations that may or may not be relevant. I'm personally not one to think someone should sacrifice years and years of work they don't enjoy or that takes over their life for a retirement that may never even happen.... yet, depends on age, it could be something to tolerate for the future. :-)
I'm in my late 30s so decades away from retirement, and with the mental stress, the drinking (I don't drink a lot, but when I do drink, I'll put down an entire bottle of bourbon on a Saturday) and the general just grinding my body into dust, I'll be suprised if I make it to retirement.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up