ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 12
« First < 289101112
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
hometeam 10:08 AM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
How does that happen twice in 6 weeks?
I have a pay plan based on gross profit.

Corporate came in and increased the 'fee' they charge us on each vehicle we sell. So what that means, I sell a vehicle and make 2000 dollars right? Well used to be, 300 bucks of that went to corporates, and did not pay out as part of my profit calculated on my pay plan.

They came in and change that to 500. Then, a few days later, they changed the internal labor rate of our shop to 25% more. This again, eats into the profit that I get to claim on my pay plan.

Ultimately, that means I generate the same amount of revenue as prior to these changes, and earn less. Less of that revenue will be counted towards my pay plan, and if I do the math, I would have made approximately 20k less on the same amount of revenue as I did last year. That's why its a 'stealth' cut, because it affects what I earn, without actually changing my payplan.

yes, its complicated, and that is what I am dealing with. I dont know if I mentioned, but we had a corporate structure, and then in december, where bought out by a mega corp, and told 'everything will stay the same' prior to these stealth cuts and other changes.
[Reply]
raybec 4 10:13 AM 02-20-2022
Originally Posted by hometeam:

Corporate came in and increased the 'fee' they charge us on each vehicle we sell. So what that means, I sell a vehicle and make 2000 dollars right? Well used to be, 300 bucks of that went to corporates, and did not pay out as part of my profit calculated on my pay plan.

They came in and change that to 500. Then, a few days later, they changed the internal labor rate of our shop to 25% more. This again, eats into the profit that I get to claim on my pay plan.

Ultimately, that means I generate the same amount of revenue as prior to these changes, and earn less. Less of that revenue will be counted towards my pay plan, and if I do the math, I would have made approximately 20k less on the same amount of revenue as I did last year. That's why its a 'stealth' cut, because it affects what I earn, without actually changing my payplan.

yes, its complicated, and that is what I am dealing with. I dont know if I mentioned, but we had a corporate structure, and then in december, where bought out by a mega corp, and told 'everything will stay the same' prior to these stealth cuts and other changes.
Yikes man, that really has to damage the trust between you and the corporation.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:46 AM 02-20-2022

Yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh fuck that.

I'd be in your rock solid bosses office post haste and tell him if they want to keep you, you cannot take a paycut. If they're fine with pissing all over your livelihood, than take that as a crystal clear sign of their value of your contributions. I'd be the fuck out of there. Now.

I don't know where it is where you are, but I don't know of a business that I trust the information I'm getting that is fully staffed. I posted in LoneWolf's thread that people I'm close with I'd estimate that price elasticity of demand for labor is dramatically higher than it was 18 months ago. I'd guess the ceiling of what we'd pay a guy is 20% higher than then.

There was a time in my career that my advice would be different, but my ass would be making demands. I mean, don't put bridges to the torch, but be clear that shit is unacceptable. And then walk out of there and hit the bricks. I'm guessing you can secure something within a week.

Hell, PM me, I can probably get you in touch with some guys out here.
[Reply]
bdj23 09:53 PM 03-25-2022
I don't have a bruise, cut or scrape on my body. I can sleep well at night. I haven't been pissed off at my job since I started, and my wife says I'm a happier person now.

I should have done this years ago.
[Reply]
JolantaAgata 12:27 AM 03-26-2022
Do what makes you happy. Mental health is important
[Reply]
JPH83 02:13 AM 03-26-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I don't have a bruise, cut or scrape on my body. I can sleep well at night. I haven't been pissed off at my job since I started, and my wife says I'm a happier person now.

I think most peiple come to this realisation too late, i'm genuinely stoked for you, i love hearing this sort of thing Takes guts but 100% the right move. There are too many hours in the day being miserable at work otherwise.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:21 AM 03-26-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:

Excellent. Glad it worked out.
[Reply]
scho63 08:26 AM 03-26-2022

Sounds like management took THEIR increased costs out of YOUR pay. :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:04 AM 03-26-2022
I wonder how this thread affected Tyreeks decision.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 12
« First < 289101112
Up