ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Taking a pay cut to get out of a job you hate
bdj23 10:50 AM 01-22-2022
Without getting too detailed about my personal life....

I'm burnt out

Has anyone on CP ever had to do this? Did it work out for you? Is not having the extra money worth being happy? Is making alright money worth feeling like you have sold your soul?

Any input or advice is appreciated.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:33 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by scho63:
When I would hire people I would look for 4 key characteristics:

1. Passion
2. Good integrity and reputation
3. Believed and shared in our companies vision and services/offerings
4. Shared the same vision and work ethic as me.

Rarely failed me and only did if I hired someone not having one of the 4 above.

My goal is to show them the process, get them to follow it and execute.
Good list, someone told me they look for aptitude and attitude when less experience is required, then add deep dive questions when a decent amount of experience is required.

I was pretty shocked at times with how much people could bullshit on a resume -- sometimes 4+ pages -- and then deflect and bullshit interviews without ever answering WTF they've done in the past or how shit works.
[Reply]
Rausch 01:38 PM 02-19-2022
My first management job in Silicon Valley I sucked big time at first.

My CEO got complaints, saw what was happening and helped me immensely.

Like many first time bosses, I was micro managing the shit out of people.

From the moment I changed and followed his advice, I became a boss that had employees calling me the best boss they ever worked for and giving me accolades and awards.
That's the thing - people want to respect their boss. People want someone they can trust to have the answers when they don't. At minimum people want to know you're also trying your best and not just CYA.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:41 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by Chargem:
How do you tell if someone has these characteristics, before you hire them?
Early/start of career (at least for the IT world), I'll ask questions around what they do outside of school.. internships, building their own PC, figuring out operating systems that aren't Windows. Showing an interest in your major outside of the required classes.

More experienced, same idea, but side projects, optimizing and process improvement versus simply doing the job you're paid for, mentoring others, etc.

Going above and beyond, basically.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:45 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
why is it there are so many Fucked up jobs/bosses
Because everyone thinks they can manage and they can't.

Bossing people around is not the same as managing people.
It was named the Peter Principle.

Originally Posted by :
...which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to "a level of respective incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.

[Reply]
Rausch 01:56 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
It was named the Peter Principle.
This was done, on purpose, at my old job. The idea was to make sure that 2nd in command was fairly incompetent to ensure loyalty and dependence on their supervisor.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:16 PM 02-19-2022
When I would hire people I would look for 4 key characteristics:

1. Passion
2. Good integrity and reputation
3. Believed and shared in our companies vision and services/offerings
4. Shared the same vision and work ethic as me.

Rarely failed me and only did if I hired someone not having one of the 4 above.

My goal is to show them the process, get them to follow it and execute.
Not saying you wouldn't want all of these things, but it's also an excellent way to just hire in your image, and I'm not sure that's always ideal. I think good recruitment is about determining whether they can do the work well and possibly think creatively. Stuff like integrity you're probably only going to know once they've started.
[Reply]
Joe 04:26 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Ended up taking a lesser paying job and moving out of state. Around $1000 less a month. Turned out being the best thing for me because I spent 2.5 years there before taking a job working from home making around $1000 more a month then I made at the first job.
When one door closes, you just need to be ready to walk through a new door.

If the OP can handle it financially, if it's that bad, leave.
[Reply]
raybec 4 05:12 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Not saying you wouldn't want all of these things, but it's also an excellent way to just hire in your image, and I'm not sure that's always ideal. I think good recruitment is about determining whether they can do the work well and possibly think creatively. Stuff like integrity you're probably only going to know once they've started.
That's an excellent point. A lot of managers end up just hiring themselves an echo chamber where outside perspectives aren't really heard or valued. That's not a good thing.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:15 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
That's an excellent point. A lot of managers end up just hiring themselves an echo chamber where outside perspectives aren't really heard or valued. That's not a good thing.
admin does that in schools too.
[Reply]
bdj23 05:47 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by Joe:
When one door closes, you just need to be ready to walk through a new door.

If the OP can handle it financially, if it's that bad, leave.
I set a (kinda half assed) financial plan to get myself out of all of my debt from the birth of my daughter and my credit cards.

Once my tax return hits my last credit card will be gone. I'm 99% sure I can survive the pay cut I will take. I feel a little weird being a responsible adult.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:59 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I set a (kinda half assed) financial plan to get myself out of all of my debt from the birth of my daughter and my credit cards.

Once my tax return hits my last credit card will be gone. I'm 99% sure I can survive the pay cut I will take. I feel a little weird being a responsible adult.
you know, any bill you pay off, is that money in your pocket
[Reply]
bdj23 06:13 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
you know, any bill you pay off, is that money in your pocket
I've knocked out like 10k worth of debt in the past year. It feels good to get that off my back.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:25 PM 02-19-2022
Sometimes we have to go back so we can go forward. Being happy is worth a lot also.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:27 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
I've knocked out like 10k worth of debt in the past year. It feels good to get that off my back.
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
scho63 07:53 PM 02-19-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You don’t manage people, you lead them.

You manage things.

I’m moving up again and I’m very excited. I like people and I like that people like working for me.
Fair point but managing them comes in as well as leading them. You can't lead people if you haven't managed expectations. :-)
[Reply]
Page 10 of 12
« First < 678910 1112 >
Up