ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 340 of 341
« First < 240290330336337338339340 341 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:39 AM 01-13-2024
Originally Posted by bdj23:
I kind of want something smaller than my Shield. Maybe it's the holster, but i find concealed carry to be uncomfortable and inconvenient except in the winter when you have on a heavy coat or layers of clothing.

My usual ccw is a S&W M&P Shield. After trying several different holsters, I use a N8Tactical tuckable holster with it most days, for comfortability.

Have you shot a lot of smaller pieces? Because the smaller the gun gets the harder it is to work with. Just something to keep in mind.

There are several handguns that are smaller than the Shield to choose from, but I would strongly advise that you spend some time/$$$ shooting them. As much as possible before buying.

I had an LCP for a few years, but after more than a hundred range sessions I still had trouble with consistency/accuracy. i could shoot it accurately but gave up a lot of speed. Or, I could shoot it quickly and gave up a lot of accuracy.

I had the same issues with a S&W snubnose, and a couple other subcompacts like the Beretta Pico.

I finally gave up and went with a LC9, which is a little bigger than an LCP but a smidge smaller than a Shield. That I can shoot both quickly and accurately enough for me to feel comfortable carrying it. Helps that it's a Ruger, so good reliability and great customer service (though I've never had a problem with it).

But you need to put you hands on as many subcompacts as you can, and shoot them rigorously, before depending on one for carry purposes, imho.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:11 AM 01-13-2024
I kind of want something smaller than my Shield. Maybe it's the holster, but i find concealed carry to be uncomfortable and inconvenient except in the winter when you have on a heavy coat or layers of clothing.
The right holster makes all the difference. I use a Vedder Lighttuck IWB, which is model-specific molded kydex with a metal belt clip. The holster retains and the clip won't ever break. Doesn't print at all unless your shirt is too tight. If you aren't using a belt, a good belly band will suffice, although it is more difficult to draw and reholster.

I have one pistol smaller than the XL - a Ruger LC9s. While I do trust it, it's easily the crappiest gun I own. It's what I carry if I'm going somewhere that I'll have to leave it in the car. I almost never carry it. The smaller the pistol, the worse the quality and performance; that's just the way it is. But if your heart is set on something tiny, I guess that would be my recommendation. It's a better alternative than harsh language.
[Reply]
bdj23 11:30 AM 01-13-2024
Once i get around to buying I'll go see if my local indoor range will let you sample their options. I'd hate to buy a brand new gun and not like it. I've done that before with a used one and thankfully i was able to flip it in my favor when FB was full of gun groups.
[Reply]
Frazod 11:44 AM 01-13-2024
If it's like the place I worked, they should have a rental counter. You can rent one gun, put a few rounds through it, and then go back and get something else.

One thing to keep in mind is that range guns are typically abused like rented mules, especially the more popular models. Assume that they're not going to be cleaned enough, are poorly maintained, and also that they're often handled by morons. That can take a toll on even the best made guns.
[Reply]
bdj23 11:52 AM 01-13-2024
My local range is relatively new (I think it opened over the summer) so hopefully their rental inventory isn't beat to shit.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:03 PM 01-13-2024
My local range is relatively new (I think it opened over the summer) so hopefully their rental inventory isn't beat to shit.
It doesn't take anywhere near that long. Most businesses are understaffed these days, and the managers of my store were far more concerned with sales than maintaining rental guns. I get it, but still, it's a problem. And if your local range is a part of a chain, they'll also have to deal with stupid, time-consuming edicts that come down from the chimps at corporate, and of course there's all the government shit to content with.

And you wouldn't believe some of stupid shit I've seen people do to guns.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:06 PM 01-13-2024
Originally Posted by Frazod:
If it's like the place I worked, they should have a rental counter. You can rent one gun, put a few rounds through it, and then go back and get something else.

One thing to keep in mind is that range guns are typically abused like rented mules, especially the more popular models. Assume that they're not going to be cleaned enough, are poorly maintained, and also that they're often handled by morons. That can take a toll on even the best made guns.

100%.

Which is why I tend to take second looks at rental guns that performed well anyway. If they can put up with the kinds of abuse Frazod listed and still perform reliably through a couple mags, they're probably pretty good machines.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:16 PM 01-13-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
100%.

Which is why I tend to take second looks at rental guns that performed well anyway. If they can put up with the kinds of abuse Frazod listed and still perform reliably through a couple mags, they're probably pretty good machines.
One thing I'll say about Glocks is that they're durable as fuck. They're the AKs of handguns. I don't ever recall anybody breaking any of the Glock rentals, and we had a lot of them.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:22 PM 01-13-2024
I have a 365 XL. I love it. I won't go any smaller though. I have big hands. I tried a 365 and couldn't get all my fingers on the grip. While I think I could operate it reliably, I'd be giving up a lot of stability for a tiny bit of size.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:23 PM 01-13-2024
One thing I'll say about Glocks is that they're durable as fuck. They're the AKs of handguns. I don't ever recall anybody breaking any of the Glock rentals, and we had a lot of them.
I think something on them breaks regularly. Spring maybe? I don't remember. But yeah. The things go bang.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:25 PM 01-13-2024

Yah, Glocks are amazingly reliable. Unless you shoot reloads. Then they can jam.

I also have found M&Ps to be extremely reliable, and so far (I have 4 M&Ps including my Shield) all of them will happily eat any/all of my reloads.

edit: and there are other guns out there that can be basically as reliable as a glock of a M&P as well. You just have to do a little research. And shoot as many of them as you can until you find the one that fits your hands as well as possible.
[Reply]
bdj23 12:32 PM 01-13-2024
It doesn't take anywhere near that long. Most businesses are understaffed these days, and the managers of my store were far more concerned with sales than maintaining rental guns. I get it, but still, it's a problem. And if your local range is a part of a chain, they'll also have to deal with stupid, time-consuming edicts that come down from the chimps at corporate, and of course there's all the government shit to content with.

And you wouldn't believe some of stupid shit I've seen people do to guns.
The one time i shot there that place had like 10 workers for it being no bigger than a bowling alley. The previous owners were just a couple of boomers who couldn't maintain stock and could order whatever you wanted, but these guys (so far) seem to be running a well oiled machine.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:34 PM 01-13-2024
The one time i shot there that place had like 10 workers for it being no bigger than a bowling alley. The previous owners were just a couple of boomers who couldn't maintain stock and could order whatever you wanted, but these guys (so far) seem to be running a well oiled machine.
The the chances of you being in good hands are much better.
[Reply]
bdj23 12:36 PM 01-13-2024
One thing I'll say about Glocks is that they're durable as ****. They're the AKs of handguns. I don't ever recall anybody breaking any of the Glock rentals, and we had a lot of them.
I had a glock 43 for a while. I didn't really mean to buy it but my friend gave it to me for collateral for a $500 loan. Around the time i bought my house i sold it to my dad for what i paid for it. I probably should have kept it but at that time i needed the $500 more than the gun.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:45 PM 01-16-2024
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Yeah, I've been a fan of Vortex for over a decade now. Started with a Crossfire, traded it in for a Diamondback. Bought another Diamondback, then traded that one in for a Viper about a year later. Think I have two Diamondbacks and two Vipers now. Pretty good scopes for the money, never had any issues of any kind with any of them.

I had a couple Burris scopes way back; they're pretty good budget scopes, imo.

Off and on I've thought about getting night scopes. But haven't been able to justify the cost vs. how much I'd probably use them. Working on getting a suppressor for my p-dog gun (hopefully i won't have to build another bullet for it), and might get another for my M&P that has a threaded barrel and my PCC.

Always more things on the list of 'need to have' than $$$, lol.
Does your Viper have/come with locking caps on the windage, elevation, and parallax?
[Reply]
Page 340 of 341
« First < 240290330336337338339340 341 >
Up