ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 130 of 361
« First < 3080120126127128129130 131132133134140180230 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 12:34 PM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:

It's really amazing how accurate the art directors on Cat-Women of the Moon were back in 1953...

[Reply]
Donger 12:37 PM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Honestly, I haven't kept much interest in any of the companies after it turned out everybody was going to continue using old school rocket designs rather than developing newer concepts like aerospikes. I get why (profit, faster time table) but it doesn't really...inspire me, I guess, to pay real close attention. It sort of feels like watching the 60s all over again, which is cool but...it doesn't really feel like we're going anywhere new. Not that I was alive then, of course, but being a child of the 70s, space was always kind of a big deal. Point being that I'm watching launches now (and I do watch sometimes, it's still neat...) that look pretty much like launches I watched forty years ago. Yeah the computer tech is incredibly advanced now and we can land them on ships in the middle of the ocean, but it just feels...old, at a fundamental level to see us still using basically the same kind of engines we had fifty years ago. Or eighty...

Maybe the kid inside 45-year old me just expected us to have a much cooler, much more space-explore-y world than we do at this point in time.
You care more about engine nozzle design more than reusability?
[Reply]
DaFace 12:49 PM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
You care more about engine nozzle design more than reusability?
I get where he's coming from. Things were pretty stagnant for a long time. But what it comes down to is that cost is the barrier to doing crazier stuff, so reusability is as important as the general design.
[Reply]
Donger 12:56 PM 01-05-2019
I get where he's coming from. Things were pretty stagnant for a long time. But what it comes down to is that cost is the barrier to doing crazier stuff, so reusability is as important as the general design.
Yes, agreed. When you look at the cost comparison of a Saturn V launch to BFR, it's insane. Probably a bit of Musk hopeful thinking, but still.

But sure, I'd love to see impulse power and warp drive, too!

Personally, while I loved the shuttle missions, I realized that it was a step forward and a step back. I love this era.
[Reply]
keg in kc 01:08 PM 01-05-2019
Exactly. It's commercial, so everything comes down to the financial. There's not really anything inspiring there, to me. Which is what I think's been missing since the mid-70's and the end of the Apollo program. Because while I enjoyed the spectacle of the launches and the missions, I didn't like that we wasted an entire generation on the space shuttle, and I'm not sure we're doing much new now. And I don't know what this business version of the space race is going to do for us in terms of space exploration moving forward. Although I think the advances of the Chinese and Indian space programs could spur the US as a nation to do more. Although maybe not with fiscal conservatives in change of the purse strings.

I realize I'm saying this the same week we see the first pictures of Ultima Thule.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:24 PM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Exactly. It's commercial, so everything comes down to the financial. There's not really anything inspiring there, to me. Which is what I think's been missing since the mid-70's and the end of the Apollo program. Because while I enjoyed the spectacle of the launches and the missions, I didn't like that we wasted an entire generation on the space shuttle, and I'm not sure we're doing much new now. And I don't know what this business version of the space race is going to do for us in terms of space exploration moving forward. Although I think the advances of the Chinese and Indian space programs could spur the US as a nation to do more. Although maybe not with fiscal conservatives in change of the purse strings.

I realize I'm saying this the same week we see the first pictures of Ultima Thule.
I think people will start to get more excited if we can get a base going on the moon (and, eventually, boots on Mars). Until then, I totally get why you'd be underwhelmed (though I personally think this is the most exciting time we've had since Apollo).
[Reply]
DaFace 11:26 AM 01-06-2019
I thought this was fun to give a sense of scale to Starship compared to Dragon.

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:30 AM 01-06-2019
I thought this was fun to give a sense of scale to Starship compared to Dragon.

That's impressive.

Thanks again to you for keeping this thread going -- it is always interesting and informative.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:33 AM 01-06-2019
I think people will start to get more excited if we can get a base going on the moon (and, eventually, boots on Mars). Until then, I totally get why you'd be underwhelmed (though I personally think this is the most exciting time we've had since Apollo).
I remember being at Cape Canveral right before the Apollo-Soyuz mission and while admittedly the whole West vs East thing added to the story it was indeed exciting because new things were happening that had never been attempted, let alone performed. I think you're right that we need to do new things to get the public to pay attention to space like we did as a nation back then.
[Reply]
Donger 11:34 AM 01-06-2019
Hadn't seen this before today:

[Reply]
DaFace 11:36 AM 01-06-2019
Hadn't seen this before today:

They're rapidly iterating on the design, so that's even a little out of date, but the basic gist is still the same. Most notably, they're planning for Starship to be made of stainless steel at this point, so it'll be very shiny (and look like something from science fiction for sure).

Elon has alluded to giving a full update in a few months.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:38 AM 01-06-2019
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
That's impressive.

Thanks again to you for keeping this thread going -- it is always interesting and informative.
Happy to. My hope is that, someday, we can broaden this to include all of the cool things happening in Space (Blue Origin most notably), but for now, SpaceX is the one that gives us the coolest stuff to dream about. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 11:38 AM 01-06-2019
They're rapidly iterating on the design, so that's even a little out of date, but the basic gist is still the same. Most notably, they're planning for Starship to be made of stainless steel at this point, so it'll be very shiny (and look like something from science fiction for sure).

Elon has alluded to giving a full update in a few months.
Yeah, it started off with one "fin" IIRC... Ummm, Elon?

And I hope they don't paint it.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:44 AM 01-06-2019
Yeah, it started off with one "fin" IIRC... Ummm, Elon?

And I hope they don't paint it.
I think he said they can't paint it even if they wanted to. I certainly don't understand the physics behind it well, but as I understand it, stainless steel is a good conductor of heat. So the gist is that the entire thing will be one giant heat shield, and they'll have liquid cooling under the surface to move heat around even more.

Or something like that.
[Reply]
Donger 12:25 PM 01-06-2019
I think he said they can't paint it even if they wanted to. I certainly don't understand the physics behind it well, but as I understand it, stainless steel is a good conductor of heat. So the gist is that the entire thing will be one giant heat shield, and they'll have liquid cooling under the surface to move heat around even more.

Or something like that.
Just unneeded weight, anyway! :-)
[Reply]
Page 130 of 361
« First < 3080120126127128129130 131132133134140180230 > Last »
Up