ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 243 of 295
« First < 143193233239240241242243 244245246247253293 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****The Clyde Edwards-Helaire Thread*****
Dante84 10:09 PM 04-23-2020
More to come! (I'll clean it up later - info dump into the OP)

(mod edit, all the goodness is in the spoiler tags)
Spoiler!

[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:22 PM 05-23-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
In limited playing time? Yes. Absolutely.

He averaged over 5 YPC and 8 YPR in limited time in the regular season.

When he was thrust into a more prominent role in the postseason, he did well too. He averaged over 100 yards from scrimmage in 3 postseason games. In two of the three games, he averaged over 5 YPC and in all three games he averaged over 10 YPR. That's pretty baller, honestly.

If CEH played that well I wouldn't have an issue with him.
He has the added albatross of having been drafted ahead of Tee Higgins.
[Reply]
Infidel Goat 12:27 PM 05-23-2022
I'm just here to remind people that Mike Cloud was a second-round pick who averaged 3.26 YPC in his four seasons with the Chiefs. He was the true definition of "3 yards and a cloud of dust."

CEH averaged 4.4 and 4.3 YPC in his first two seasons. I'm hoping he'll outperform those numbers in the next two years at a relatively low cost. If he doesn't impress Veach, the Chiefs will refuse to exercise the fifth-year option and move on to another low-cost option. We're paying CEH less than $11 million for his first four years.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:28 PM 05-23-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
He has the added albatross of having been drafted ahead of Tee Higgins.
Higgins is a tough one. Shenault or Claypool would probably have been better picks as well.

I think CEH will always be married to the RBs from that class, though. Early returns make CEH over Jonathon Taylor a really tough pill to swallow, but even Swift, Akers, Dobbins, etc. would have been better picks.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:33 PM 05-23-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
I'm not interested in paying out a top 5 AAV RB contract. I said top 5-10 would probably be doable. Mckinnon is the example of a great value last year. Me personally I would be hunting for values like that while also looking for the guy at RB in the draft. If he earns top 5 contract after 4 years fine...let him walk find another...my point is we should be taking more shots at RB rather than settling for the bargain bin....it's really a disservice to Pat
Hey, I can understand your point of view. I just disagree is all. I really don't think RB is very important and I think the resources we've put toward the position is actually pretty good (aside from CEH).

The strength of this team lies in the pass with Mahomes and Reid. That likely will never change as long as Reid is the head coach. I'd much prefer to spend those 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders on WRs, OL, pass rusher, CB, etc.

Those positions, if you hit, can be expected to be productive players for the team 5-10 years from the time they're drafted. Even great RBs, that is a tall order. These days, even a good RB is underperforming based on his contract by the time he's on his first extension.

Originally Posted by Infidel Goat:
I'm just here to remind people that Mike Cloud was a second-round pick who averaged 3.26 YPC in his four seasons with the Chiefs. He was the true definition of "3 yards and a cloud of dust."

CEH averaged 4.4 and 4.3 YPC in his first two seasons. I'm hoping he'll outperform those numbers in the next two years at a relatively low cost. If he doesn't impress Veach, the Chiefs will refuse to exercise the fifth-year option and move on to another low-cost option. We're paying CEH less than $11 million for his first four years.
Mike Cloud was drafted in 1999 so technically you can count him toward my criteria, but he really doesn't match the spirit of the discussion!
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:48 PM 05-23-2022
Higgins is a tough one. Shenault or Claypool would probably have been better picks as well.

I think CEH will always be married to the RBs from that class, though. Early returns make CEH over Jonathon Taylor a really tough pill to swallow, but even Swift, Akers, Dobbins, etc. would have been better picks.
Look on the bright side. He'll only be married to them for like two more years - most of them won't even be starters anymore, because the attrition is so awful.
[Reply]
dirk digler 12:59 PM 05-23-2022
One thing I totally agree with O.City and others is not to pay big money for RB's. Look at Ezekiel Elliott, the dude looks washed and Dallas is on the hook for $18 million this year and $17 million next year. Damn he has a dead money cap charge of $30 million this year.

https://overthecap.com/player/ezekiel-elliott/4717/
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 01:04 PM 05-23-2022

The strength of this team lies in the pass with Mahomes and Reid. That likely will never change as long as Reid is the head coach. I'd much prefer to spend those 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders on WRs, OL, pass rusher, CB, etc.
I don't even think it's Reid’s style as much as wanting to tailor the offense to what Pat did in college. You have to evolve at some point though.... what would that look like?

Originally Posted by dirk digler:
One thing I totally agree with O.City and others is not to pay big money for RB's. Look at Ezekiel Elliott, the dude looks washed and Dallas is on the hook for $18 million this year and $17 million next year. Damn he has a dead money cap charge of $30 million this year.

We shouldn't betting setting the market at any position besides QB. There's a sweet spot though
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:18 PM 05-23-2022

This is lowkey an unpopular opinion, but I actually think Zeke Elliott's contract has been one of the better market-setting contracts for RBs in recent times. He is definitely not as good as he was when he first came in the league, but he has developed into an incredible blocker on 3rd down. Obviously it's not ideal but his contract vs production is much better than Leveon Bell with the Jets, CMC with the Panthers, etc.

Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
I don't even think it's Reid’s style as much as wanting to tailor the offense to what Pat did in college. You have to evolve at some point though.... what would that look like?
Even when we had Alex Smith, Reid was still leaning heavily on the pass.

It's like Reid evolved long before the league caught on. Reid consistently fields some of the better offenses in the NFL.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 01:40 PM 05-23-2022
This is lowkey an unpopular opinion, but I actually think Zeke Elliott's contract has been one of the better market-setting contracts for RBs in recent times. He is definitely not as good as he was when he first came in the league, but he has developed into an incredible blocker on 3rd down. Obviously it's not ideal but his contract vs production is much better than Leveon Bell with the Jets, CMC with the Panthers, etc.

Even when we had Alex Smith, Reid was still leaning heavily on the pass.

It's like Reid evolved long before the league caught on. Reid consistently fields some of the better offenses in the NFL.
I remember when everyone was aghast at the Eagles throwing it fifty times in a game. Like... it was unthinkable.
[Reply]
O.city 01:43 PM 05-23-2022
I can't imagine anyone wanting to take the ball out of Mahomes hands though. I mean, sure at some point run it a few times.

But statistically, I'd think we want him making decisions more than not.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:08 PM 05-23-2022
Yeah that is probably an unpopular opinion. I bet Dallas would love to get out of that contract if they could. Doesn't look like they will be able to until 2024 and by then he will definitely be done.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:21 PM 05-23-2022
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I remember when everyone was aghast at the Eagles throwing it fifty times in a game. Like... it was unthinkable.
Yep, he was throwing the ball 70/30 back in the early-mid 2000s when RBs were king lol Reid is a guru

Originally Posted by O.city:
I can't imagine anyone wanting to take the ball out of Mahomes hands though. I mean, sure at some point run it a few times.

This is ultimately the argument against spending resources on RB. Giving our RBs more carries takes the ball out of Mahomes' hands and actually does our opponents a favor.

Outside of that second half of the AFCCG against the Bengals (fuck, he was so, so bad), I trust Patrick with the ball in his hands.

Yeah that is probably an unpopular opinion. I bet Dallas would love to get out of that contract if they could. Doesn't look like they will be able to until 2024 and by then he will definitely be done.
Oh, it was and is not a good contract. Just saying, it's the least bad of all those market-setters. The Jets had no business investing in a RB with so many holes and as amazing as CMC was, the Panthers have gotten basically nothing from him since he signed that extension.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:22 PM 05-23-2022
Man, I have dominated this thread today.

Thanks for the good conversations and listening to me talk, betches!
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 02:25 PM 05-23-2022

It could only help Mahomes.

I was looking at Reid's offenses in his history. His offenses on average are near the middle of the league in rush attempts. But last year we were 20th in attempts, 16th in yards but 7th in yards per attmept........How? Better yet why wouldn't you run it more
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 02:33 PM 05-23-2022

I've seen Mahomes have bad games or halfs where a solid running game would have definitely benefitted him.

Obvious example is his last game against the Bengals
He was awful in the 2nd half.

He's human, Chiefs cannot expect him to ball out every single game.
[Reply]
Page 243 of 295
« First < 143193233239240241242243 244245246247253293 > Last »
Up