ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 69
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Media Center>MCU Meta Discussion
DaFace 05:54 PM 07-16-2019
The various movies obviously deserve their own threads once things actually start moving on them, but it seems like we should have a place just for general discussion about what they're planning. So here ya go.
[Reply]
Skyy God 03:20 PM 01-11-2023
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Krasinski has been a fan favorite for it; Driver is a decent consolation prize.
Driver is a way better actor.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:19 PM 02-08-2023
Is this new news?

I'm reading that my favorite Marvel character, the Sentry, is going to be introduced in the upcoming movie The Thunderbolts.

They're casting him right now, and they're targeting a person of color for the role to get away from comparisons to Homelander.

I cannot ****ing wait how they bring the Void to the screen. Holy crapola.

Edit: I will say, I am somewhat concerned over this, however. We've seen Superman-esque characters fighting a team of heroes several times in the past year. Guys who can fly, have super strength, laser eyes. Homelander is the obvious one, Omni-Man in Invincible, Ikaris from the Eternals, and even Superman himself in Justice League. I think they need to tweak the Sentry pretty aggressively here, to change him from being a Superman clone. Obviously, you're going to want to lean in on the Void, but when he's in Sentry mode, consider giving him a different set of powers of some kind. Sentry in the comics could do literally everything anyway.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:43 AM 02-22-2023
Originally Posted by kcgreene:
Phase 4 I'd agree, but other than Waititi, Coogler (and Jon Watts who is under Sony's thumb w/ Spider-Man) all the directors in Phase 4 are new to the MCU. Waititi essentially redefined the character with Raganarok, and there was a lot of chatter they were giving him a lot more free reign when it was in production due to that shift.

Don't get me wrong, Feige has really messed up with Phase 4 and I'm sure that wasn't the only problem, but it is also apparent that Waititi went off the deep end quite a bit in Love and Thunder. Both things can be; and probably are, true.
I'm just saying that the problem isn't just one or two directors getting too much leash.

Black Widow
Shang-Chi
The Eternals
Multiverse of Madness
Love & Thunder

Some will defend one or another, and some were better than others, but they were all bad movies (Shang Chi was the best of the lot, and might be considered mediocre rather than bad). Every one of them saw the problems start at the beginning: the script/storyline. Wokeness, some bad acting, too much needless CGI, and other things also combined to make the problem. And we could see this coming at least as far back as with Captain Marvel (I would argue that the seeds of the rot were planted in Black Panther).
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:40 PM 02-22-2023
Pushed back release date for The Marvels and new poster.

Get excited!...or don't

[Reply]
BigRichard 01:03 PM 02-22-2023

Get excited!...or don't

On the "Don't" side.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 01:27 PM 02-22-2023
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
I'm just saying that the problem isn't just one or two directors getting too much leash.

Black Widow
Shang-Chi
The Eternals
Multiverse of Madness
Love & Thunder

Some will defend one or another, and some were better than others, but they were all bad movies (Shang Chi was the best of the lot, and might be considered mediocre rather than bad). Every one of them saw the problems start at the beginning: the script/storyline. Wokeness, some bad acting, too much needless CGI, and other things also combined to make the problem. And we could see this coming at least as far back as with Captain Marvel (I would argue that the seeds of the rot were planted in Black Panther).
I think most would disagree about a few of those. Critics loved Shang-Chi. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Doctor Strange was well-received too.

I don't think either are masterpieces, but I probably wouldn't describe any Marvel movie as a "masterpiece."
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 01:52 PM 02-22-2023
Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar:
I think most would disagree about a few of those. Critics loved Shang-Chi. 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. Doctor Strange was well-received too.

I don't think either are masterpieces, but I probably wouldn't describe any Marvel movie as a "masterpiece."
Multiverse of Madness is like PG13 Raimi. It depends how much you like Raimi movies.

Shang-Chi was just a formulaic CGI fest. Should of been MCUs version of The Raid or Enter the Dragon or something else.

The problem Phase 4 had was instead of altering the Marvel Formula to fit the character they just square pegged round holed the movies and the writing certainly had taken a downturn.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 01:52 PM 02-22-2023

Get excited!...or don't

Squarely on the meh side.
[Reply]
Fish 02:47 PM 02-22-2023

Get excited!...or don't

Captain Marvel was a turd. I gave up on the Ms. Marvel series after the first episode. Definitely pass until some reviews come out.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 03:10 PM 02-22-2023

As this site frequently demonstrates, that really doesn't mean anything. That's true with superhero movies, as well as non-superhero movies.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:29 PM 02-22-2023

Black Widow
Shang-Chi
The Eternals
Multiverse of Madness
Love & Thunder

What wokeness?

Shang Chi was an excellent movie. Dr Strange 2 was meh, but not terrible. Black widow wasn't good. The Eternals sucked really bad. Thor Love and Thunder was a complete fucking abomination of a movie and definitely had too much needless CGI. Wokeness had nothing to do with how bad these movies are.

You and a couple others idiots obsession with calling everything woke is about as retarded as you can get.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:25 PM 02-22-2023

Following this up, you can just look at history. Take a look at the BvS thread in this forum. Just go from pages 18-21:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...batman&page=18

You get a bunch of people overrating a shit movie, because they're too uncritical as both movie lovers and fanboys. Not to toot my own horn, but just because I did offer reasoning, compare my posts in those pages to the posts of those who were liking and defending the movie, and you'll see (hopefully) what I'm talking about.

Then go do the Suicide Squad thread

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...hlight=suicide

and some of the last Star Wars trilogy threads, and the reality that this place (which is really a bit of a microcosm of the U.S. movie geek world generally) is really shitty when it comes to giving good movie going advice should be obvious to you.

Everyone hates some great movies and likes some shitty movies, and that's fine. But that's also why the only way anyone should look at reviews for the sake of choosing whether to invest in the movie is to find reviewers who's likes/hates closely reflect their own over time. And it's also why people should acknowledge the quirk (yeah, I know that X is a great movie, but I couldn't get into it/yeah, I know that Y is a bad movie, but I really liked it anyway).
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:52 AM 02-23-2023

You get a bunch of people overrating a shit movie, because they're too uncritical as both movie lovers and fanboys. Not to toot my own horn, but just because I did offer reasoning, compare my posts in those pages to the posts of those who were liking and defending the movie, and you'll see (hopefully) what I'm talking about.
Imagine saying this on a football message board. Like you're some kind of genius when it comes to critiquing fucking movies.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:30 AM 02-28-2023
I'm really late to the party. Watched the latest Thor and Dr. Strange movies. I don't think I remember anything about Thor other than it was trying too hard to be funny. And the whole Wanda/Scarlet Witch storyline didn't really engage me because her motivations make absolutely no sense. I don't have Disney+ and am not going to be watching the series tie ins. I guess I've gotten old and lost interest in all of this; I want a good story instead of a bunch of fancy effects and pretty people. Star Trek, Star Wars, MCU, DCU... What I have seen is that they have a hard time coming up with a good story and relatable characters.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:14 AM 02-28-2023
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
I'm really late to the party. Watched the latest Thor and Dr. Strange movies. I don't think I remember anything about Thor other than it was trying too hard to be funny. And the whole Wanda/Scarlet Witch storyline didn't really engage me because her motivations make absolutely no sense. I don't have Disney+ and am not going to be watching the series tie ins. I guess I've gotten old and lost interest in all of this; I want a good story instead of a bunch of fancy effects and pretty people. Star Trek, Star Wars, MCU, DCU... What I have seen is that they have a hard time coming up with a good story and relatable characters.
On top of that, I feel there might be a general feel of comic book movie fatigue going on right now added on top of how the product hasn't been on the same level as the Infinity War saga, as well.

Speaking of Thor - I just got around to watching the Snyder cut of Justice League, and it got me wondering if we'll ever see the director's cut of Love and Thunder. Supposedly they shot 4 hours' worth of film only to cut literally half of it and change the relationship between Thor and Zeus doing so. On top of that, there was supposedly going to be a scene where Jane's Thor was battling Galactus to go with a TON of other cosmic side stuff? Maybe one day we'll get a Waititi cut of Love and Thunder.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 69
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Up