ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 152 of 163
« First < 52102142148149150151152 153154155156162 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread
TripleThreat 05:48 PM 11-09-2022

YOUNG AMERICANS
The USMNT was by far the youngest team to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, garnering valuable experience going through the rigors of World Cup qualifying. Through 14 qualifiers, the USA Starting XI came in at an average of 23.82, almost two years younger than the next closest team, Ghana at 25.67. Together, the other 31 participating teams averaged a Starting XI age of 27.5 through qualifying, nearly four full years older than the U.S. Sources say this is one of the youngest, but most talented teams the U.S. has ever fielded. While they may not win the world cup this year, they may garner the experience needed to make a serious run on home soil in the year 2026 when the World Cup comes back to North America.

2022 USA World Cup Roster

FORWARDS
Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas)
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders)
Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund)
Josh Sargent (Norwich City)
Timothy Weah (Lille)
Haji Wright (Antalyaspor)

MIDFIELDERS
Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United)
Kellyn Acosta (LAFC)
Tyler Adams (Leeds United)
Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo)
Weston McKennie (Juventus)
Yunus Musah (Valencia)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders)

DEFENDERS
Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic)
Sergiño Dest (AC Milan)
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls)
Shaq Moore (Nashville SC)
Tim Ream (Fulham)
Antonee Robinson (Fulham)
Joe Scally (Borussia Monchengladbach)
DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami)
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)

GOALKEEPERS
Ethan Horvath (Luton Town)
Sean Johnson (NYCFC)
Matt Turner (Arsenal)
[Reply]
alpha_omega 04:19 PM 12-14-2022
I'm reading over the last few posts...keep in mind, I don't watch a lot of soccer, but.....

Isn't Pele the GOAT of soccer???
[Reply]
penguinz 06:02 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Gary Cooper:
Ronaldo, is that you?

I loved Maradona as a kid but there's little argument for him over Messi. Messi has 7 Ballon D'Ors. He's about to be named the Golden Ball Winner in two separate World Cups (something not even Maradona did). Also, by 35 years old, Maradona was cooked. Messi is still going strong.
Messi is great but he does El Pibe de Oro's level skill and technique. Close but not there.

The unfortunate thing is that as you stated, he was cooked by coke by Messi's current age.

Messis longevity does not make him the goat over Maradona though.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 08:14 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
I'm reading over the last few posts...keep in mind, I don't watch a lot of soccer, but.....

I have Pele 2nd. His club resume pales in comparison to Messi's. He played against weak competition in the Brazil league.

His International resume is better but Messi made up much ground during his last two International tournaments. Also, contrary to common perception, Pele won two World Cups, not three. He played only one game in the 1962 World Cup. And he played with probably 10 of the 50 greatest International players ever. The Brazil teams in 1958 and 1970 were loaded with stars. Messi never had that kind of help at the International level.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 08:18 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Messi is great but he does El Pibe de Oro's level skill and technique. Close but not there.

The unfortunate thing is that as you stated, he was cooked by coke by Messi's current age.

Messis longevity does not make him the goat over Maradona though.
If we're going off skill, Matt Le Tissier and Dennis Bergkamp are two of the five greatest players ever.

Maradona had absurd skill but why is he better than Messi? What did he accomplish better? The World Cup in 1986 was legendary; one man taking over a tournament. That's not enough to overcome Messi's club accomplishments and his own World Cup run here in 2022 at 35 years old. Messi has been a huge star for about 15 years now. Besides Ronaldo, nobody was on top that long.
[Reply]
Pants 08:53 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
He is not the GOAT of his own country let alone the entire sport. He has shown his pussy and quit the before.

Great player but not the GOAT and is a total bitch.
He's 100% the GOAT.

The ONLY solid argument against him is that he's only done it in one league (not counting Ligue 1, obv). However, I don't hold that against players when it comes to their greatness. Plenty of absolute legends only did it in one league.
[Reply]
New World Order 09:03 PM 12-14-2022

Ronaldo Nizario or Maradona are my GOATs
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 09:24 PM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by New World Order:
Ronaldo Nizario or Maradona are my GOATs
Fat Ronaldo is a top 10 player, but he shouldn't be in the GOAT conversation.
[Reply]
Pants 09:58 PM 12-14-2022
Ya. Definitely a top 3 striker of all time but he ain't no Messi. Messi has it all: finishing, great (not elite) speed, dribbling, set pieces, crosses, passes. CR7 is a close second.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:37 PM 12-14-2022
For the “my gut tells me” crowd:

Grant Wahl was covering a World Cup soccer match last weekend in Qatar when he collapsed and died.

Family members Wednesday said Wahl died from a ruptured blood vessel.

Wahl's wife, Dr. Céline Gounder, said an autopsy was conducted by the New York City Medical Examiner's Office after his .

“Grant died from the rupture of a slowly growing, undetected ascending aortic aneurysm with hemopericardium,” Gounder said.
[Reply]
loochy 07:17 AM 12-15-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
For the “my gut tells me” crowd:

Grant Wahl was covering a World Cup soccer match last weekend in Qatar when he collapsed and died.

Family members Wednesday said Wahl died from a ruptured blood vessel.

Wahl's wife, Dr. Céline Gounder, said an autopsy was conducted by the New York City Medical Examiner's Office after his .

“Grant died from the rupture of a slowly growing, undetected ascending aortic aneurysm with hemopericardium,” Gounder said.
So your gut tells you it was either the Qatari government or vaccine related?
[Reply]
loochy 07:21 AM 12-15-2022
If he wouldn't have spent so much time out with his knees, maybe. He wasn't quite the same after that first knee injury at Inter, and then he started getting fat a few years later.
[Reply]
Skyy God 07:25 AM 12-15-2022
Originally Posted by loochy:
If he wouldn't have spent so much time out with his knees, maybe. He wasn't quite the same after that first knee injury at Inter, and then he started getting fat a few years later.
Man, that guy is basically my age.

He got fat AF.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...ibiza-27523206
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 11:12 AM 12-15-2022
I have Pele 2nd. His club resume pales in comparison to Messi's. He played against weak competition in the Brazil league.

His International resume is better but Messi made up much ground during his last two International tournaments. Also, contrary to common perception, Pele won two World Cups, not three. He played only one game in the 1962 World Cup. And he played with probably 10 of the 50 greatest International players ever. The Brazil teams in 1958 and 1970 were loaded with stars. Messi never had that kind of help at the International level.
Are you kidding me? Messi has had several high level players with vast champions league experience around him. Arguero, DI Maria, Peredes just to name a few. People love to make excuses for Messi but the fact is he's rarely ever been the same player for Argentina as he was for Barcelona. And when you look at the resume the likes of Ronaldinho and the Brazilian Ronaldo were just as talented but at least won a world cup. If Mbappe beats Messi in the final that's a HUGE dent to Messi's legacy imo.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 11:15 AM 12-15-2022

Yep. The guy was a star and won a world cup age 16!!..just an incredible achievement.
[Reply]
Eleazar 11:15 AM 12-15-2022
Originally Posted by loochy:
So your gut tells you it was either the Qatari government or vaccine related?
The guy died after complaining of a long illness with a worsening course and there was no reason to suspect foul play, but people were still posting that their "gut" was telling them he was murdered by the government in Qatar for wearing a gay pride shirt.
[Reply]
Page 152 of 163
« First < 52102142148149150151152 153154155156162 > Last »
Up