View Poll Results: Gay or Tranquill?
I would prioritize bringing back Gay. 6 46.15%
I would prioritize bringing back Tranquill. 5 38.46%
I'd legitimately burn the cap space necessary to sign them both. 3 23.08%
Some other option. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The personnel decision we don't want to make.
Direckshun 08:03 AM 10-24-2023
This coming offseason, Willie Gay and Dru Tranquill are both free agents.

But in 2025, two offseasons, Nick Bolton will become a free agent. And I'm probably not overselling it when I say that above all other LBs, Bolton's a critical cog that must be re-signed, barring any catastrophic injuries. He's the central cog to that entire defense, alongside Jones and McDuffie.

So this coming offseason, it seems unlikely/improbable that the Chiefs will re-sign both Gay and Tranquill, as it's not smart cap management to have three LBs under huge contracts. By the end of this season, Gay and Tranquill both will command pretty good-sized contracts.

Which then begs the question, and I despise asking it: which LB do you extend? Gay or Tranquill?

I value them both equally, but of course they both do different things and they both do them very well.

Tranquill possesses sky high character and top notch intelligence, and can play every single LB position on the field. He can man the green dot, and if your All Pro mike goes down for the remainder of the regular season, you can slide in Tranquill to rack up tackles, call the defense, blitz well and play great in coverage. He's one of those players Super Bowl defenses have to have.

But you know what else your defense needs? A 250 lbs wrecking ball with elite speed. Willie Gay is more powerful, an even better blitzer, almost as good in coverage. He doesn't possess Tranquill's character, but he is a huge energy-bringer. This is by far the best year he's played, and he has always clicked well with Bolton.

One of the things that makes the Chiefs truly unique this year is their extremely outward support of each other. I saw this on the preseason, Matt Bushman catches a TD pass from Olakadun and the entire team rushes over to celebrate him, and Gay is one of the leaders in that aspect.

So I truly, truly, truly don't know which LB I'd keep if we had to choose. They're both very good players and both will be very hard to replace.

Which way do you go? Poll forthcoming.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:06 AM 10-24-2023
So I think I roll with Gay, if I have to choose between the two. (I just hate having to make that choice.)

Tranquill leaving takes a ton of the Chiefs' LB versatility and depth away, but it doesn't create a hole. Gay leaving does create a hole that Tranquill simply just doesn't fill.
[Reply]
Dante84 12:14 PM 10-24-2023
I wonder how Chenal's evolution at LB will impact the decision. I also wonder if we start using Chenal as a TJ Watt style edge player, if they decide to coach him up that way instead.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:20 PM 10-24-2023
I'd keep the cheaper of the two. If they cost the same, keep Gay.
[Reply]
Hoover 12:41 PM 10-24-2023
This is where the Bolton injury actually helps our front office. We will have a healthy sample size for Tranquill before making that decision. And frankly this is also an instance where the one year deal kinda bites you in the ass.

If I were Bart Veach I would...

1. Bring Tranquill in today and see if I could sign him to a reasonable 3 year extension. I've seen enough, I'm impressed. And I'll pay you now, but I'm not going to over pay you in free agency. So Dru, do you like playing on a championship team with the best QB in the world? If so, how about we strike a deal that works for both of us.

2. If I can get Tranquill done, then I can deal with Willie in the off season. I want to keep him, but again, I'm note about to break the bank for him. Face it, he's not getting Harold Landry's 5 year, $87,500,000 deal. I mean isn't he more in line for a 3 year, $37,500,000 contract like the Dolphins gave Jerome Baker? And if so, maybe I do that. Again, he has it good in KC, you can chase SBs here, you can go play for some shit team but make more money, but that's the choice you make.

3. I feel like we are really fucked when it comes to Sneed and Jones. It looks to me like we are going to let both of them walk and get nothing but comp picks in return. I guess we could tag Sneed if we let Jones walk. I think if we were trading either of those guys it would have been done already. Just sucks to see talent like that walk and get nothing in return.
[Reply]
O.city 12:46 PM 10-24-2023
I'd keep Gay. His athleticism isn't easy to find. Tranquill was just a street FA.

Go find the next one.
[Reply]
Hoover 12:51 PM 10-24-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'd keep Gay. His athleticism isn't easy to find. Tranquill was just a street FA.

Go find the next one.
I don't disagree, but if we don't keep Jones and Sneed, couldn't we actually keep them both? I just don't think someone is going to pay them huge sums of money.
[Reply]
JPH83 01:23 PM 10-24-2023
Gay's had a couple of great games in a row but we've been here before. All the talent but he just is so inconsistent. One game he's a world beater the next he's lost. I might take it down to the wire and just see who shakes out better this year. But my gut says we need a coverage guy there and even though I think Tranquil's only been OK there, that's his strength. Let him do that, let Chenal thump, let Bolton organise
[Reply]
O.city 01:45 PM 10-24-2023
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I don't disagree, but if we don't keep Jones and Sneed, couldn't we actually keep them both? I just don't think someone is going to pay them huge sums of money.
I just can't figure they let Jones go. He's too good. They'll probably pony up there.

Off ball linebackers just aren't that valuable. They may be able to keep them, but they could probably just go find somemore in the draft.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:03 PM 10-24-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
I just can't figure they let Jones go. He's too good. They'll probably pony up there.

Off ball linebackers just aren't that valuable. They may be able to keep them, but they could probably just go find somemore in the draft.
Agree re linebackers. Just don't know how they couldn't get a long term deal done last offseason but could now. I just don't see it.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:04 PM 10-24-2023
I wouldn't be hell-bent on thinking I had to re-sign either of them but I'd prioritize keeping Tranquill because he has the aptitude to play any spot. That's not to say you ignore giving Gay an offer sheet.

While we're at it, let's not fool ourselves into thinking either of them is good in coverage because that's simply not true.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:18 PM 10-24-2023
In a vacuum - Tranquill.

If we're going to extend Bolton - Gay.

Gay and Bolton are just such amazing complements to each other. Everywhere one struggles, the other excels. Everything one brings from a personality standpoint, the other heightens through his own personality.
[Reply]
kccrow 04:30 PM 10-24-2023
The positive about the prospects of bringing back either on the cheap is that it is setting up to be a really strong, young, FA class with Devin White, Azeez Al-Shaair, Kenneth Murray, Jordyn Brooks, and Patrick Queen. Plus, you have to think chances will be taken on Isaiah Simmons and Devin Bush.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 01:01 PM 10-25-2023
Sign Tranquill and draft an athletic freak like Trevin Wallace out of Kentucky who can be brought along in a development role while Bolton, Tranquil, and Chenal do most the heavy lifting.
[Reply]
Otter 03:25 PM 10-25-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
So I think I roll with Gay, if I have to choose between the two. (I just hate having to make that choice.)

Tranquill leaving takes a ton of the Chiefs' LB versatility and depth away, but it doesn't create a hole. Gay leaving does create a hole that Tranquill simply just doesn't fill.

You're making this very hard not be juvenile.

Originally Posted by :
I'd legitimately burn the cap space necessary to sign them both.

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up