ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>So found out my cat is diabetic..
Mecca 12:40 PM 06-21-2021
Anyone have any experience in having a pet with this condition and what that's like?
[Reply]
KC_Lee 12:49 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Anyone have any experience in having a pet with this condition and what that's like?
Had a diabetic cat. Changed his food from dry to pate, made sure he got is insulin every 12 hours and kept an eye on his litter box for any larger than normal clumps of litter signifying excess urine.

It's not a death sentence or really anything to be to concerned about. My cat lived 7 years after his diagnosis and passed when he was 13 years old.

And one more tip; if you have to give your cat insulin, buy your own syringes. Much cheaper than getting them from the vet.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:55 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Lee:
Had a diabetic cat. Changed his food from dry to pate, made sure he got is insulin every 12 hours and kept an eye on his litter box for any larger than normal clumps of litter signifying excess urine.

It's not a death sentence or really anything to be to concerned about. My cat lived 7 years after his diagnosis and passed when he was 13 years old.

And one more tip; if you have to give your cat insulin, buy your own syringes. Much cheaper than getting them from the vet.
Figured the food thing was coming, I have 4 cats so trying to regulate 1 of them is going to be interesting to say the least. And yea he lost weight and started pissing like a horse so I suspected this was the issue.

He's still strong and does his normal thing so I'm thinking we got him pretty early with it that or his isn't to bad.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 12:58 PM 06-21-2021
Figured the food thing was coming, I have 4 cats so trying to regulate 1 of them is going to be interesting to say the least. And yea he lost weight and started pissing like a horse so I suspected this was the issue.

He's still strong and does his normal thing so I'm thinking we got him pretty early with it that or his isn't to bad.
We had another cat as well, so both of them switched to pate canned food. And it wasn't anything special for the food just Friskies pate cat food. And since you caught it early it can be managed easily.
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:59 PM 06-21-2021
SEE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FEED YOUR CAT SUGAR ALL TEH TIME!
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:13 PM 06-21-2021

We have over a dozen cats. Some of them have dietary restrictions (we're an overflow for the rescue league).

You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFlap-MPF0..._t1_B00DRBFBVM
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:15 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
We have over a dozen cats.
You'd love my mother in law...
[Reply]
Mecca 01:16 PM 06-21-2021
We have over a dozen cats. Some of them have dietary restrictions (we're an overflow for the rescue league).

You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFlap-MPF0..._t1_B00DRBFBVM
Damn that's crazy, the other issue I may have is the diabetic cat is the alpha and always has been so not sure how he's gonna like this.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:17 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
You'd love my mother in law...
I hate mine so I'm sure she'd be an improvement.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:17 PM 06-21-2021
I hate mine so I'm sure she'd be an improvement.
lulz
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:17 PM 06-21-2021
Damn that's crazy, the other issue I may have is the diabetic cat is the alpha and always has been so not sure how he's gonna like this.
They work, we actually have 3 and different cats have different chips so they can only eat from certain bowls. Works pretty well actually.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:18 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
lulz
I'm in a bad way right now, man. :-)
[Reply]
Mecca 01:47 PM 06-21-2021
My hope with this is we can get him under control and he won't get shots everyday forever.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 02:08 PM 06-21-2021
My hope with this is we can get him under control and he won't get shots everyday forever.
Not to rain on your hopes, but you're more than likely in for shots everyday. Best you can hope for is lower dosages of insulin based on your cat's bloodwork.
[Reply]
eDave 02:47 PM 06-21-2021
My ex's cat has it and we maintained it for 12 years. Two insulin shots daily and special food.

If maintained, your kitty will be fine.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up