ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 21
« First < 81415161718 192021 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
Direckshun 05:02 PM 05-28-2021
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Honestly, I’d rather keep him along the interior where he is elite. But Stout mentioned that the base DL is Jones and Clark on the edges with Reed and Nnadi along the interior.

That’s a big risk the team is taking, and the early returns in spot duty last year were not encouraging.

But Stout mentions that Jones has slimmed down a ton as well, clearly prepared to take a stronger role at RDE.

Maybe the most important thing to watch for our defense.

He also mentions Humphrey is your starting center.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:03 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They went 14-2 and made it to the Super Bowl with that pass rush.

You simply can't dismiss that.
I agree but that was last year. Teams change and get better/worse every year.

It’s clearly a problem to our brass bc they brought in Melvin Ingram. They know it’s a big pain point

Not saying we’re doomed. We do need to look at perspective. We blitzed DB’s a lot last year and in the Super Bowl Brady had forever to throw the ball.

We freak out about the OL in one game but don’t see that the DL had no injuries and was ass in that game too.

I think we try to get a DE next month. Maybe revisit with Ingram
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:06 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It’s clearly a problem to our brass bc they brought in Melvin Ingram. They know it’s a big pain point
They brought in Ingram as due diligence. If it were a huge pain point, they would have signed him instead of signing Reed and all the other guys they've acquired since then.

They acquired another offensive tackle and traded for a CB - both positions are LOADED - but they haven't signed another DE.

I don't think they see it as a dire need at all.
[Reply]
RunKC 03:13 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They brought in Ingram as due diligence. If it were a huge pain point, they would have signed him instead of signing Reed and all the other guys they've acquired since then.

They acquired another offensive tackle and traded for a CB - both positions are LOADED - but they haven't signed another DE.

I don't think they see it as a dire need at all.
That’s bc (per Nate Taylor) Ingram is notoriously pushy with salary and wants a lot. Basically more than he’s worth. Did that with the Chargers and Nate indirectly said he did it here too
[Reply]
New World Order 03:19 PM 06-21-2021
I agree but that was last year. Teams change and get better/worse every year.

Not saying we’re doomed. We do need to look at perspective. We blitzed DB’s a lot last year and in the Super Bowl Brady had forever to throw the ball.

We freak out about the OL in one game but don’t see that the DL had no injuries and was ass in that game too.

I think we try to get a DE next month. Maybe revisit with Ingram
What about Everson Griffen?

Cheap and can still produce.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:26 PM 06-21-2021
That’s bc (per Nate Taylor) Ingram is notoriously pushy with salary and wants a lot. Basically more than he’s worth. Did that with the Chargers and Nate indirectly said he did it here too
Sure. And the fact that the Chiefs let him walk away and haven't really talked to him since just further reinforces my point.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:28 PM 06-21-2021
If the need at DE were that extreme, they would have signed Ingram for whatever he wanted...

Or they would have pursued someone that was more willing to sign.

Ingram's reputation isn't unknown to the Chiefs. The fact that they brought him under those circumstances suggests they see him as a luxury, not a need.
[Reply]
staylor26 03:40 PM 06-21-2021
For all the talk about our pass rush, we have 3 guys that are capable of double digit sacks.

It’s not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Yes, you’d like the talent at DE to be better, but pass rush is a unit thing. Our interior pass rush is as good as it gets.

And Taco was damn good when healthy last year, Danna flashed as a rookie, and Ward did in his lone start as well.

Gay being on the field more will also help with his explosiveness and ability to be a terror when blitzing.

Completely overblown IMO. Just need to stay healthy and they’ll be fine.
[Reply]
RealSNR 03:51 PM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
So you're saying that almost the same exact group less 2 veteran starters is as good as the former?

That's a stretch dude.

That's like back when CP was convincing itself that Niang/Remmers was going to be a good a tackle duo.

The position group, on paper, is weaker than it was last season and it wasn't good last season.
I asked how much worse it is.

Are we going to be so horrible at DE next year that people are going to say things like, "Man, at least Kpass was mediocre!"

No. No they're not. You can say, "You don't know that" all you want, but nobody is going to fucking say that. We lost nothing.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 03:53 AM 09-20-2021
So this has fucking sucked. Badly. Jones is getting neutralized as a pass rusher for the most part by back up quality OTs, is a massive liability in the running game, and his "replacement" inside, Reed, is a complete waste of space.

I thought this was going to be a scenario where Jones is moved around to attack the weak links on opposing OLs with pass rush, but he's legit just playing the DE spot and doing it quite poorly.
[Reply]
Redbled 05:58 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
So this has ****ing sucked. Badly. Jones is getting neutralized as a pass rusher for the most part by back up quality OTs, is a massive liability in the running game, and his "replacement" inside, Reed, is a complete waste of space.

I thought this was going to be a scenario where Jones is moved around to attack the weak links on opposing OLs with pass rush, but he's legit just playing the DE spot and doing it quite poorly.

I agree with this but it’s not easy to rush when they are running so much. So many times I couldn’t even tell where the ball was. Ravens did a great job keeping us guessing.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:30 AM 09-20-2021
Man, at least Kpass was mediocre!
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:19 AM 09-20-2021
I'm actually willing to give this experiment more time. Against traditional offenses, Jones will likely be fine at DE.

But against a mobile QB and offense that runs the read option so much, he is not a good fit. He's just not athletic or experienced enough in the role to cover the space necessary to make the big plays.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 07:23 AM 09-20-2021
Ravens schemed him out, just ask The Franchise. She knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
kcclone 07:42 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I'm actually willing to give this experiment more time. Against traditional offenses, Jones will likely be fine at DE.

But against a mobile QB and offense that runs the read option so much, he is not a good fit. He's just not athletic or experienced enough in the role to cover the space necessary to make the big plays.

I agree with this. My concern is that we took a great DT and turned him into an average DE.

But that's not necessarily Jones' fault, it's Veach's. We had no other choice at DE.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:50 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Browns
Ravens
Titans

We will likely have to beat at least one of those teams to advance to the Super Bowl. I'm guessing we'll have to beat two.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 21
« First < 81415161718 192021 >
Up