ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any George Lynch fans out there??
petegz28 08:33 PM 09-19-2012

[Reply]
htismaqe 01:35 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Vivian Campbell? Nah. He's a Gary Moore clone, and not even a good clone at that. He just happened to get the Dio gig after Jake turned it down.
You're much more critical than I am. Of course, now that I think about it, his post-Dio resume is pretty bad...
[Reply]
Bowser 01:42 PM 09-20-2012
Here, you freaking hair metal snobs. One stop shopping for all your virtuoso needs....

:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:45 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You fucking name dropper.

That is SO cool. :-)
It's funny: I was working at the old, old Guitar Center in Berkeley at the time and he came in trying to get us to buy this new invention at the time, a super-heavy duty "sustain" block that he invented. It was kind of silly.

Anyway, we talked for quite a while about those days and he told me that he'd send me an old neck from that era, for free, because he still had a few hundred that he didn't sell to Grover Jackson.

Unfortunately, he never sent the neck. But he had some cool stories. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:48 PM 09-20-2012
Man, listening to all those singers together just cements the opinion I posted earlier about Dio.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:52 PM 09-20-2012
Speaking of hair metal ensembles, Dweezil managed to get Steve Lukather, Zakk Wylde, Warren DeMartini, and Nuno Bettencourt to contribute portions of the guitar solo for this song.

Vocals by Donnie freaking Osmond. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4CMGbs1-rI
[Reply]
TheGuardian 01:55 PM 09-20-2012
This thread is full of awesome.

I think that guitar appreciation is a lot like the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" saying.

I personally think that Mick Mars was VERY underrated.

I also think that Mike McCready is super fucking overrated. I have no idea why that slug makes it on any list. I also think that Clapton is wildly overrated as well.

I hung out with Zakk one night until about 3 a.m. here in KC (Blue Springs) before BLS blew up. It was some dive bar where he literally had to walk through the crowd to get on the stage. He still played for like 3 hours. More pinch harmonics were heard that night than whores seen in vegas.

Still, he's one of my fave players, and a very cool dude.

Good to see Warren Demartini getting some love, and unless I missed it has no one mentioned Paul Gilbert? I'm sure they have and I just overlooked it.

No one was faster than Michael Angelo Batio. Didn't care for his style, but he was so fast that the guys I used to jam with would listen to it and literally be in tears laughing.
[Reply]
Braincase 01:57 PM 09-20-2012
I feel somewhat redeemed... kind of funny nobody has yet to call me out on "Brian Carroll". Either y'all know his stage name, or you don't give a rat's ass.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 01:58 PM 09-20-2012
Joe Satriani - the best I've ever seen or heard, his guitar work in many ways transcends the guitar
Yea, he was awesome. I used to listen to Surfing with the Alien all the time...

Loved Eric Johnson too during the Cliffs of Dover era.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:58 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by TheGuardian:
Good to see Warren Demartini getting some love, and unless I missed it has no one mentioned Paul Gilbert? I'm sure they have and I just overlooked it.
Nobody mentioned Paul Gilbert because he didn't give us any warning when we listened to Mr. Big for the first time.

:-)
[Reply]
frankotank 02:00 PM 09-20-2012
Speaking of hair metal ensembles, Dweezil managed to get Steve Lukather, Zakk Wylde, Warren DeMartini, and Nuno Bettencourt to contribute portions of the guitar solo for this song.

Vocals by Donnie freaking Osmond. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4CMGbs1-rI
Dweezil...I used to have an album of his, had My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Momma on it. that dude can play. saw him this year at Experience Hendrix.

I'm a huge Kings X fan. I've seen them many times and will again when they open for Kansas next month. Ty Tabor is mind blowingly good. I got to wondering where he'd rank.....guess the world doesn't think he's as bad ass as i do...interesting none the less.

from 2010 - Gibsons 50 greatest guitarists

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...eals-0528.aspx
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:01 PM 09-20-2012
By the way Bowser, that Hear N' Aid shit is a fucking Hall of Fame of some of my early favorites, what I would consider real "spandex" metal. Quite a few good-to-GREAT leather metal bands on the list too.

Dio, Priest, Maiden, Nugent, Malmsteen, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Dokken, Y&T, Night Ranger, holy fucking shit.
[Reply]
Brock 02:02 PM 09-20-2012
I hesitate to ask this, but is EVH really suffering from diverticulitis and is this the real reason for the tour stoppage?
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:04 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Brock:
I hesitate to ask this, but is EVH really suffering from diverticulitis and is this the real reason for the tour stoppage?
If he really has diverticulitis, it can be anywhere from super painful to possibly deadly.

So yeah, if he really has it, it's a legit reason to stop a tour.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:05 PM 09-20-2012
I personally think that Mick Mars was VERY underrated.
I think that Mick is an extremely solid player. His best work came on the Feelgood and eponymous Motley Crue records. I'm pretty psyched about his upcoming solo record, which features a number of singers and styles.

I also think that Mike McCready is super fucking overrated. I have no idea why that slug makes it on any list.
If you're referring to his early work, including Pearl Jam and even Temple of the Dog, I agree. But since he's become "sober", which has just happened in the past few years, you'd be shocked at what a great player he's become. I saw him with PJ two years ago and was floored. He was like SRV/Hendrix that night and just played his ass off.

I also think that Clapton is wildly overrated as well.
Cream was amazing and helped to create the hard rock/early metal sound. After that, he became a pop star and his guitar playing was secondary to his singing. I can't say that I've liked anything he's done since Cream but one thing I can say is that he doesn't have an ego.

On his last tour, he took out Doyle Bramhall II and Derek Trucks as his touring guitarist. Those guys are two of the best in the biz. Derek is mindblowingly amazing. If you haven't heard him, check him out.

Name Drop Alert: Paul's actually a neighbor and a super cool guy. He still tours and plays (his wife's in his band) and is still a monster shredder. I saw him a few years back at HOB with Bruce Bouillet (who's an old drinking buddy) and both just tore it up.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:05 PM 09-20-2012
By the way Bowser, that Hear N' Aid shit is a fucking Hall of Fame of some of my early favorites, what I would consider real "spandex" metal. Quite a few good-to-GREAT leather metal bands on the list too.

Dio, Priest, Maiden, Nugent, Malmsteen, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Dokken, Y&T, Night Ranger, holy fucking shit.
Blackie Lawless is going to hunt you down and eat your spleen for leaving him off your list. :-)

And to bring the thread full (mini) circle, no Ozzy Osbourne in that all-star lineup. :-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 14
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up