ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 621 of 1209
« First < 121521571611617618619620621 6226236246256316717211121 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:40 PM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by srvy:
Bacon. I bought 2 bellies and have them in curing salts and marinade in spare fridge. After that pork belly burnt ends video I may go back Sams see if still on sale and give it a try. Though I'd try to cut back the sugars some I don't want burnt end candy.

Also agree on Apple butter but I go store bought Musselmans sadly.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
I do my own bacon, too. It's awesome. What's your cure?

As for apple butter, do you have a slow cooker? I just took two large jars of Musselman's natural, spiced it up, sugared it up, and let it go in the slow cooker on high for almost 18 hours. The last six or so with the lid ajar.
[Reply]
srvy 03:17 PM 09-06-2017
I just use Steven Raichlens basic cure I saw on project smoke.
1/3 cup kosher salt
3 tbs ground black pepper corns
2 tspn pink curing salts
1/3 cup mixure of brown sugar granulated came surer maple sugar and sucanat sugar. The later was hard to find but found at smoke and fire in town. Also I can order Amazon market. Nothing fancy but it worked last time and when I'm in doubt I do what Raichlen does.

That sounds like a good way to do apple butter.

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:23 PM 09-06-2017
I just use Steven Raichlens basic cure I saw on project smoke.
1/3 cup kosher salt
3 tbs ground black pepper corns
2 tspn pink curing salts
1/3 cup mixure of brown sugar granulated came surer maple sugar and sucanat sugar. The later was hard to find but found at smoke and fire in town. Also I can order Amazon market. Nothing fancy but it worked last time and when I'm in doubt I do what Raichlen does.

That sounds like a good way to do apple butter.

I've done a couple with maple sugar, but can't justify the cost for the flavor. You actually get much better maple flavor by doing a homemade brown sugar trick by running cane sugar through the food processor with grade B maple syrup.
[Reply]
srvy 03:30 PM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I've done a couple with maple sugar, but can't justify the cost for the flavor. You actually get much better maple flavor by doing a homemade brown sugar trick by running cane sugar through the food processor with grade B maple syrup.
No kidding that maple sugar was 30 bucks for 16oz bag. That seems like the way to go when i run out this.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:35 PM 09-06-2017
Just canned 4 pints of homemade apple butter.

I fucking love this stuff. Have to not keep much around - I'd eat it with a spoon from the jar.
My mom used to put up a bunch of apple butter. Yeah. It's legit.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:41 PM 09-06-2017
Maple sugar is more concentrated than mixing syrup and cane sugar.

If you want the EXACT same thing for a little more expense, but still less than pre-refined maple sugar, boil down maple syrup to hard ball stage, then whip it like you would divinity until the water steams off and crystals form on the paddle and bowl.

It's a workout, but you end up with an intense flavorant.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 03:44 PM 09-06-2017
No kidding that maple sugar was 30 bucks for 16oz bag. That seems like the way to go when i run out this.
That's actually not TOO bad considering 16oz of maple sugar is the product of 34-36oz of maple syrup.

About the cheapest you'll get is Sam's Club's $12 jug to make it yourself, and you still have to cook and stir.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:49 PM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Maple sugar is more concentrated than mixing syrup and cane sugar.

If you want the EXACT same thing for a little more expense, but still less than pre-refined maple sugar, boil down maple syrup to hard ball stage, then whip it like you would divinity until the water steams off and crystals form on the paddle and bowl.

It's a workout, but you end up with an intense flavorant.

I didn't suggest it was the same thing. I said I get better flavor by using grade B and sugar.

I looked into making it myself after the first go round with buying it. Don't think it's worth the expense OR the work to make maple sugar myself. I'll stick with blitzing regular sugar with grade B.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:12 PM 09-06-2017
I ate a hamburger for dinner tonight at a friends house, except it wasn't your average burger.

I was tricked into eating a plant based burger called "beyond meat" and didn't even know the difference until I was told.

I'm pretty schocked that it tasted like the real thing
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:14 PM 09-06-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I ate a hamburger for dinner tonight at a friends house, except it wasn't your average burger.

I was tricked into eating a plant based burger called "beyond meat" and didn't even know the difference until I was told.

I'm pretty schocked that it tasted like the real thing

Interesting

Your experience seems to echo those in articles and podcasts I've seen.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:14 PM 09-06-2017
Been feeling kinda queasy all day, so going light tonight

Salad with garden tomato, a little cheddar and ranch, with one of those cheap little preformed chicken patties stuffed with ham and swiss
[Reply]
lewdog 05:20 PM 09-06-2017
Late to the party but I always go with a pretty heavy dosing of plain yellow mustard before applying the rub for smoking. You can't taste it but it does seem to keep the meat more moist when it's done, overnight especially.

It's the only way I do it now thanks to GloryDayz.
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 05:28 PM 09-06-2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Reerun_KC 05:28 PM 09-06-2017

[Reply]
Reerun_KC 05:30 PM 09-06-2017

[Reply]
Page 621 of 1209
« First < 121521571611617618619620621 6226236246256316717211121 > Last »